Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Washing gp bedding in the same machine as baby clothes and cloth diapers

evilnumberlady

Cavy Slave
I'm expecting my first baby in about a month, and we plan to do cloth diapering to save money. I also have been using fleece bedding for my guinea pigs for quite some time.

I know that a baby's skin can be very sensitive. As I've been washing the new baby clothes I now have, I'm starting to worry that residue from washing the guinea pig bedding might stay in the washer and/or dryer. If it gets on the baby diapers and clothes it seems like it could then very easily irritate the baby's skin. I'm particularly worried about the tiny bits of hay that inevitably seem to appear in the lint trap even after the loads of laundry with guinea pig bedding.

Does anyone on here have experience with using fleece when there is a baby in the house? Was this an issue for you?

Nix16

Cavy Slave
I didn't have Guinea pigs when my son was a baby, but I used to hand wash all of his clothes in Lux flakes when he was a newborn. When he was a little older I just started doing a separate load for his things for a while. Maybe you could wash pig things, then a load of you clothes or towels, then baby clothes or diapers, and if your really worries give them a second rinse cycle. I'm sure you won't have any issues, but if you do for some reason, maybe you could take your piggy washing to the laundromat. congrats on your imminent arrival.

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
IMO, what comes out of babies is FAR worse then anything I've seen come out of my piggies yet lol. I would recommend doing what Nix16 said but do baby clothes first, towels/sheets or other linens - I usually did a load of white towels I could bleach to get rid of any "baby residue", then any of the other kids/adults clothes, then do the guinea pigs laundry last to avoid any leftover hay and/or piggie remnants. This is actually how I still do laundry even though my boys are older.

I did not have my piggies when my kids were babies, but I did that order of laundry and still do with my other animals I've had (my pets have used pet blankets for laying on things) just adding piggie laundry at the end now instead and then I usually have an extra load of dishtowels, washcloths or something else and throw those in on hot water for a "finishing" cycle to clean out the washer and dryer. I've NEVER had a problem with dog or cat fur or hay on any of my clothes that came out of my washer or dryer. After they were on, now that's a different story!

Congratulations btw on the baby! :)

Lilathandra

Cavy Slave
You could always run an empty cycle after doing the guinea pig bedding so that that way it would clear out most of whats in there. I know our washer has a sanitize function. You could also use that.

leopardjunkie

Cavy Slave
this has been asked before but in various varieties...

Your washer is designed to pump fresh water in and used water out...So I would not be concerned unless your washer is not funtioning properly :) however if after a load of guinea pig stuff you noticed any hay that is still in the wash basin that was too large to be cyled through.. I would just wipe them up with a hand towel before putting in a new load. However if you are shaking, and vaccuming the gp's laundry before putting in the wash the hay or other particle in the machine should be small enough to go through the cycle. If anything was left behind from a previous cycle some how, it would be in it intial fill and would be washed out by the end cycle anyways. However the anything from the previous load should be washed out at each load.... But if you are concerned you can run an empty load or handwash...meh

I use a special diaper "soap" for cleaning all my towels, diapers, fleece as it does not build up soap on the fabric and will not impact the wicking. So if I don"t have a full load I throw all my micro fiber cleaning cloths, diapers, GP fleece and training pants all in one load. I have not had a problem with cleanliness, residue or getting stains out. If I have soiled loads I do two back to back washes one cold one hot.

Also regularily cleaning your washer per the manufacturs instructions will help break down any commercial soap/soften residue...that is more likely to get built up than anything from the Gp linens. If it is in the lint trap that means your washer is doing its job and getting it that far and that you might want to remove more hay before washing :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
You can run a load of whites with bleach after you do the guinea pig bedding to disinfect the washer. I always run an empty cycle with a cup of vinegar after washing my guinea pig bedding. Water rinses the washer but does not disinfect it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.