Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

HELP needed with cage stability!

Skyenoir

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone! I am so happy to have found this site and been shown the light on bigger cages! Actually, I first happened upon the C&C cages on Ebay before adopting my piggies, and then found this site.

My rescued pigs, (Herbie and Killer Whale), that I have only had for two weeks are about to have a MUCH bigger home. I had them in an animal play yard in a hotel room for the past 5 days during our vacation, (actually, 2 play yards connected together), and they were SO happy! Herbie actually was popcorning, which she had never done before. Now they are back in their store cage, (which they came with when we adopted them), and they are very sad. :( The good news is, I am in the process of building a 2x5 double decker C&C cage. It is pretty much all put together, and the Coroplast was purchased today. However, I am having stability issues with the top floor because of the way I want the cage to open. I don't want the cage to open from the top, I want it to open in the front in the swing out/up style I saw on someone else's cage. I thought that would be the easiest way to clean it because I can just slide out the pans, and we can't have an open cage because we have four cats. But, buliding it this way makes the top level flimsy unless I add more grids and divide the cage down the middle on top, which I don't want to do because I won't be able to easily slide the pans in and out and because it will cut down on running room. So, any suggestions on how I can brace the top and the bottom of the second level so it doesn't sag? Any help is appreciated, thanks!!!

Oh, also, does anyone know where I can buy more connectors without buying more grids? I have tons of cable ties, which I will be using liberally, but I wanted to use the connectors, too, to have a more uniform look on the front of the cage. I want it to look nice since it will now be the focal point of our main living area :)

Rian

Trixie

Cavy Slave
I know you can buy connectors but I am not sure from where.

To support the top part of the cage you can get pvc pipes and cut/saw them to fit around the corners of the cage or use bent grides. I use the pvc that is about 1/4 inch thick to support my second lvl and it works wonders. Doesn't take up there running room. But yet a bent grid or 2 works great for stuffing hay into or putting cloth around it and making them a stand up hidie spot.

divine53

Cavy Slave
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.