Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

male guineas x

clairek

Cavy Slave
:)hi, my name is claire, and i have recently aquired three male guinea pigs, brothers. they are about 6 months old now. in the beginning, they got on really well, but the bigger of the three is hounding the smallest one, and when we were away on holiday, and neighbours looked after them, i came back and he had a lot of painful scabs on him, clearly blood had been drawn, and his ear was badly bitten. the cage is quite big, and they have the run of the conservatory all day anyway, and go outside when its nice. i have read loads of stuff and apparently neutering wont make a difference? any suggestions, as i am trying to give them space form each other, but its not making a huge amount of difference. i have had to feed them separately, as the one thats being picked on has lost a bit of weight. think i will take him to be checked out at the vets as well. the other one is non plussed and the one that fights isnt interested in him anyway. funnily enough, its the one thats being picked on now, that started on the other one in the first place, but now there are role reversals!! i dont want this to get worse!!! help!!!! any views on 'buddy baths'?
thanks, claire k

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Welcome! :D
6 months old will more then likely mean that the biggest one is now going though puberty which is why he is behaving like that.
They usually go though puberty between the ages of 3 or 4 months *OR LATER* (I think) till 1 year (some times till a year and a half for some..once again I think!)
If blood was drawn I would separate the two smaller ones from the biggest, wait till they are over a year old and then do intros.
It is right that neutering wont make a difference with guinea pigs.

I know you say your cage is big, just how big is it?
I have 3 boars living together as well, two off mine are brothers at 1 year and 9 months old and a young guy at 3 months old, when the brothers were from the ages of 6 months till 9 months I had to separate them. But they are all doing fine (for now!) in their 4x4 + 2x2 C&C cage.

Also for boars I always make their cage 3 grids size wide or longer so they can pass each other with a nice distance between them if need be.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.