PDA

View Full Version : C&C HELP!!!!!!!! parents wont let me have a C&C cage!!!

Guineapiggies3
09-09-12, 06:45 pm
I have asked my mom a couple times and have told her why C&C cages are good for guinea pigs and she just says "their fine in the cages they have" but i have two guinea pigs in two different cages they are friendly to each other and the youngest chews on his bars all the time trying to get to the other. They both live in tiny cages and the cages cost $80 each & the older one is fat and is getting poop stuck in his butt (forgot the name) and she wont let me put fleece in their cages no mater what i say about it PLEASE HELP. in desperate need for better cage.:weepy::guilty:

bpatters
09-09-12, 06:52 pm
Will she let you buy a box of grids from Walmart? They're about $19. You can use the grids to connect the two cages. Put a plastic tablecloth or shower curtain underneath, cover it with old towels, and one piece of fleece. You can buy fleece blankets at Walmart for less than $5. Use one cage for the kitchen -- that will contain most of the hay and mess. For less than $25, you've got way more space for your pigs. You should be able to earn enough money to pay the $25 for the supplies.

lissie
09-09-12, 07:06 pm
Tell your mom that having a big cage will reduce in vet bills. Getting poop stuck is called impaction. Are you cleaning him out?
http://www.guinealynx.info/impaction.html

Digital_Dad
09-09-12, 07:10 pm
Sell at least one of the cages you have and use the money to buy your grids, at the same time your doing that contact a local politician and ask for free coroplast signs from their campaign to use, that is what I did.
You should easily be able to sell a $80 cages for half that, enough for a box of grids and extra $. Buy your grids at Kmart they are cheaper, the right size(9x9 squares 14" wide) and you get more grids per box. The Kmart brand is called "Stor".

katherine766
09-09-12, 07:34 pm
Why do you have guinea pigs if you cant properly take care of them..?
Um, clean the poop more often then?
Do you clean him out?
I dont really see what you want us to do, tbh.
Have you showed her any information of this website?
That may help.
Please, before getting any other pets, do your research.
If you cant provide with what they need, then dont get them.

Guineapiggies3
09-09-12, 09:14 pm
lissie I am cleaning him out like once a week but every time i get like a pingpong sized ball, i keep telling my mom to let me take him to the vet to see if there is anything the vet can do but she says he is fine and if he is suffering he will die like she let my other guinea pig Darwin do and i begged her to take him to the vet to.

katherine766 I do take very good care of both of my guinea pigs I have had guinea pigs in my life for like 3 years now. like i said with lissie i clean him out weekly and i have showed her this website but then she refused to look at anymore websites.

she says that guinea pigs dont have to live together to thrive they are right next to each other in seperate cages. And I only have two cages because Bubba the older pig had his cage and was alone for a little while, and then i adopted Darwin (R.I.P.) who was probably 4 or 5 when i got him and he came with his cage so they were living together. when darwin died i was very sad and a few months later i decided to get another guinea pig i tried to convince her then to let me build a C&C cage but she said no i have asked her like every 3 months since but she always says no.

I LOVE MY PETS AND TAKE VERY GOOD CARE OF THEM!!!

kananaka
09-09-12, 10:00 pm
I know you are very young and some of it is not your fault, but since your Mother will not help you provide proper care for your pets, perhaps you should not get anymore until you are able to pay for the care yourself. Not providing vet care is 100% irresponsible of ANY pet owner and knowing your Mom will not take him to the vet IS NOT TAKING GOOD CARE of him or any of your pigs. If anything was to happen (upper respiratory infection) that required medical attention they could/would die with out treatment and that is not fair to them or to you.

Please do not get anymore pets until you can afford their care yourself because apparently your Mom will not help take care of them properly and you can not take proper care of them this way.

farmersdaughter
09-09-12, 10:18 pm
Try cleaning him out more than once a week. Getting a ping-pong ball size out does not sound good at all. Is there anyway you can build a cage out of something else. I am sure there are other ways besides C&C. I know it is not the best cage, but I have seen people get those big plastic baby pools and use those for a cage. I measured my dogs' plastic pool today and it was about 7sqft and it is just a tiny one. This time of year you could probably find a big one for fairly cheap. Just be sure the sides are tall enough and if you have other pets you could not use this.

Guineapiggies3
09-09-12, 10:20 pm
its not that i dont have the money i do i have a real job but i cant drive yet so i cant take him over there myself my parents have to and again i do take care of my animals and i play with them and give them attention and proper care every single day its just that i want my guinea pigs to live together in a C&C cage because i know it will improve bubbas movement when teddy(the younger pig) is with bubba bubba moves around a lot more but when he is not with teddy he just lays in his cage and mopes. Please do not comment anymore on my pet care ways they are all the exact same as yours all i want to know is how to get my guinea pigs together in a C&C cage. one of their cages is 24 inches by 16 inches and that is in the inside of their cage. and they both have thee exact same cages they dont share one of course but that is why i want to build a C&C cage.

Guineapiggies3
09-09-12, 10:23 pm
farmersdaughter thanks for the advice and for not being a complete jerk about me and my pet care skills i have a cat so that might not work but i did recently build an out door guinea pig run out of wood do you think that if i put like a shower curtain down and towels and fleece that that will work

ThePigAlchemist
09-09-12, 10:26 pm
I know it's rough to have uncooperative parents when you're unable to do much about your situation. If you have the money for vet visits, C+C cage supplies, and so on, have you tried offering gas money to your parents? If all of the money is coming out of your pocket, I don't understand why they would insist that you take substandard care of your pets. Have you tried explaining to them that all you want is to give your animals a better life, and that Bubba is suffering because of being in the small cage? Try showing them the huge amounts of poop you're pulling out of Bubba. It's hard to say he's fine in the cage he's in when it's obvious that there's a problem.

Guineapiggies3
09-09-12, 10:27 pm
oh and i dont keep my guinea pigs outside if were wondering it is just so they dont run away when i am outside with them. and i would bring the enclosure inside or i could build another one similar to it wood is very cheap that might work what do you think.

ThePigAlchemist
09-09-12, 10:30 pm
Wood isn't ideal, but if you put down a shower curtain so it's impossible for pee to get absorbed, it might be able to work. I don't know exactly what the enclosure looks like though, so I can't say for certain.

Guineapiggies3
09-09-12, 10:31 pm
Thank you ThePigAlchemist that might work i am going to talk it over again with my parents and see if they will let me. My brother just moved into college so maybe i can take over his room and let my room be for the guinea pigs because where i keep them now has very limited space and that might be another reason they wont let me build the cage.

MrWhistles
09-09-12, 10:31 pm
okay....you have a job, so you're going to be paying for everything.
I do not understand what is going on.

Guineapiggies3
09-09-12, 10:33 pm
it just has 4 wood frames and there is no wood on the bottom or else they wouldnt be able to get the grass and the frames have a plastic mesh stapled to the frame so they cant get out.

Guineapiggies3
09-09-12, 10:34 pm
MrWhistles I DONT UNDERSTAND either i love my pets and hate to see them suffering tomorrow i am going to insist on them letting me take him to the vet i dont want him to die i love him he is so sweet.

MrWhistles
09-09-12, 10:39 pm
@MrWhistles (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=22188) I DONT UNDERSTAND either i love my pets and hate to see them suffering tomorrow i am going to insist on them letting me take him to the vet i dont want him to die i love him he is so sweet.

okay....maybe sit down and ask them why?
Also show them the information on this site.

diagoNfriend
09-09-12, 10:44 pm
Sell at least one of the cages you have and use the money to buy your grids, at the same time your doing that contact a local politician and ask for free coroplast signs from their campaign to use, that is what I did.
You should easily be able to sell a $80 cages for half that, enough for a box of grids and extra $. Buy your grids at Kmart they are cheaper, the right size(9x9 squares 14" wide) and you get more grids per box. The Kmart brand is called "Stor".
i just bought a pack of grids there for $22 and it had enough to do a 2x4 with a lid and 1 extra. they are the right size too. they are called Stor Floor Standing 6-cube Storage Unit Stor Floor Standing 6-cube Storage Unit from Kmart.com (http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/search_10151_10104?keyword=stor%20floor%20standing %206-cube%20storage%20unit)
and judging by the site they have just went on sale....dang....bought them a day early! lol.

Guineapiggies3
09-09-12, 10:44 pm
Ok I'll try tomorrow thanks to everyone who posted keep posting :)

farmersdaughter
09-09-12, 10:53 pm
@farmersdaughter (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=24635) thanks for the advice and for not being a complete jerk about me and my pet care skills i have a cat so that might not work but i did recently build an out door guinea pig run out of wood do you think that if i put like a shower curtain down and towels and fleece that that will work
It would not work with having a cat around. How big is the outdoor run? Maybe, you could get a piece of plywood cut it a bit longer and wider than your run frame, cover that with the shower curtain, then the absorbent layer then the fleece, and then set the run on top of it. Not sure if it would work but it is worth a try.

T.HayLover
09-09-12, 11:01 pm
I know it's hard when other family members don't get it. I'm an adult living with my parents right now, but being an adult doesn't really help. It's still "their house, their rules" which is annoying. Personally, my parents know the importance of a vet, but my mom didn't want me to create a C&C cage for my GuinGuin. I don't know if it works for you, but I try my best to "butter" up my mom when I want something. And if that doesn't work, I personally can ignore everyone in my family for a day or two and then they get worried and agree most of the time. I know how to manipulate them though, so I don't know if that helps. Hopefully you can wear your parents down and they'll give in. Oh, and I wanted to add that a bigger cage = more exercise and I heard that can help impacted males sometimes. I don't know if that's true, but it definitely couldn't hurt. Anyway, good luck, and try not to give up.:)

diagoNfriend
09-09-12, 11:19 pm
also on helping you convince your mother..... try to use some strict reasoning with her (withing respectful limits of course) i had the same issue with my hubby on him liking the idea of having the cage in the living room... i told him to think about living his whole life in a room the size of the bathroom with no one to talk to or deal with. sure on occasion we might talk to him threw the door or allow him to have roam of the house for half an hour or an hour... but that would be it. i then locked him in the bathroom...though I DON'T recommend doing that to your mother......

T.HayLover
09-09-12, 11:32 pm
I also wanted to mention that getting men on your side can help. My dad LOVES to have a nice project. He's supportive of almost anything I do, though. Anyway, with him on my side, there wasn't much my mom could do to stop us. Most men in my experience like to build things and this particular stuff intrigues them (my brother's exempt from this rule though). It could help to get someone on your side, any other family member that's a little more flexible. (sorry, I probably sound manipulative and devious, but I'm not, most of the time):innocent: I really do hope they agree to a bigger cage, it will benefit both of them. You will probably see a big difference in their behavior too! Good luck.

HappyHopperz
09-10-12, 06:09 am
Convincing my parents took ALOT of hard work, persuading, and tears. It was tough, but eventually I ended up with a nice big cage. :) Doing chores and getting great grades also helped, so try that also. Good luck!

Cavylier
09-10-12, 07:35 am
What sort of cages do you have? Some pet-store cages can be taken apart with a little effort.
If each of your cages is 16 x 24 inches, if you take them apart properly and put them together into one big cage, you can have a cage that is 32 x 48 inches minimum; because a cage that size needs 6 panels for walls and you will have 8 panels not including the top. 32 x 48 inches is 10.5 feet (actually a little more) which is perfect for two piggies. All you will need is a shower curtain/ plastic tarp-thing for the bottom then.

Which cage model do you have? You can take each panel apart at the hinges by unbending the little wire loop that acts as a hinge and then reconnecting the whole thing in a giant rectangle of 6 panels. Then use the remaining for a cat-proof cage - top. You can use cable ties or even bent paperclips to reconnect the panels.

diagoNfriend
09-10-12, 09:41 am
What sort of cages do you have? Some pet-store cages can be taken apart with a little effort.
If each of your cages is 16 x 24 inches, if you take them apart properly and put them together into one big cage, you can have a cage that is 32 x 48 inches minimum; because a cage that size needs 6 panels for walls and you will have 8 panels not including the top. 32 x 48 inches is 10.5 feet (actually a little more) which is perfect for two piggies. All you will need is a shower curtain/ plastic tarp-thing for the bottom then.

Which cage model do you have? You can take each panel apart at the hinges by unbending the little wire loop that acts as a hinge and then reconnecting the whole thing in a giant rectangle of 6 panels. Then use the remaining for a cat-proof cage - top. You can use cable ties or even bent paperclips to reconnect the panels.

this is an awesome solution! thanks for sharing this. i think i am going to try this method to add onto my cage or turn the old on into a topper. :)

katherine766
09-10-12, 02:34 pm
I'm sorry, but if they don't have proper housing, or company, I wouldn't say you take good care of them.
I'm not saying it's your fault, though you should put your pets before your own happiness.
If you can't provide for ALL of their needs, then you shouldn't have them.

Kota12
09-10-12, 03:18 pm
Not to be rude or anything but why would your parents let you have another guinea pig and nOt have a bigger cage or a vet visit you're paying for? Could you maybe take a section of your room, break apart the sides of your cages, and make like a makeshift C&C cage. If your parents allow that.

katherine766 There are some things that we aren't able to provide for our pets, I do agree that she should have the nessecities like space, healthy food, vet visits, etc. But I think we should help her find a way to explain to her parents that it's good to have a big cage, and not ambush her.

Kota12
09-10-12, 03:31 pm
So sorry Cavylier! Didn't see your post before I posted.

mikey1990
09-10-12, 03:41 pm
Let your mom read this.

I live in the UK, when i first got my 2 piggies i had them in a pet store cage. Which being a piggie 'NEWBIE' i thought was ok and the pet shop was quick enough to palm me off with one. I then upgraded from that cage to another pet store cage, multi story it was 'Big' in my eyes but really it wasnt they was not using the upstairs as they did not like the ladder and they seemed to be getting on top of each other. After crawling the internet i finally found this site, it taught me the ins and outs on how to keep my piggies happy and the most important thing is to let them have space, they need space to run about, popcorn, roll in hay and enjoy themself's whilst i am working 8 hours a day. It has and it will be the best thing that i have ever done for them, as i live in the UK it was so so difficult to get rid of the grids but i never give up and i finally found some. I spent approx 60 on the cage and correx, cheaper than pet store cages and my piggies could not be any happier.

The problem with the vets too, they do need so much care and if they dont get provided with the help they need they will die. Its abit like us getting really ill and not going to the doctors and getting anything done about it, piggies are like any other pet's they need US the owners to take care of them and give them the best care we can.

MrWhistles
09-10-12, 03:46 pm
The issue I see here is not everyone cares about animals like we do. About half of the world population doesn't treat animals the way their supposed to be treated. They abuse, neglect and use them as entertainment or just to say "I have a such n such."

mikey1990
09-10-12, 03:48 pm
good point MrWhistles

LittlePiggie
09-10-12, 04:03 pm
For the cage situation, maybe you could build a custom constructed cage. I am in the process of constructing mine, with supplies from home depot. Connect your two cages by using thin pieces of wood board, and it would be open at the top.
33952This is my layout, the blue tape is where the wood is going and then the inside is where they are going to be traveling back and forth from cage to cage as they please. As for the vet situation, you have the money, which is the biggie. Is there any transportation such as a bus or taxi you could take? Maybe you have a friend or relative that is willing to take you in a time of emergency or need?

T.HayLover
09-10-12, 04:11 pm
MrWhistles, you're right. I've seen some people who haven't even taken their dog to the vet even once. If they aren't willing to help their dog, just imagine what these people would think about treating a guinea pig. I've been taught since I was very young that animals need to see the vet. Every year we would take our dog to the vet for a check-up. Geez, I can understand not taking animals for yearly check-ups all the time, but the least you can do is take them in when they are sick. It's hard for me to understand how other people can do this. My family is by no means rich, and never were. That's not an excuse. I just hope she is able to convince her mother to take him to the vet. Then again, if her mother can't understand that these are living creatures who deserve a good life, then it may be better not to have any animals at all. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just being realistic.

katherine766
09-10-12, 04:34 pm
I'm not trying to be rude to her, I'm just saying facts, perhaps I could've been nicer about it, but just put yourself in the pig's shoes.
It must suck. :c
Yes, I think she needs to show her this whole website.

Nix16
09-10-12, 05:00 pm
Could ask your parents to let you do a trial of a bigger cage to see if that helps bubba's health. You could use a puppy playpen, old portacot or a packet of grid put together as a temporary structure, leave their cages in it with doors open so they can go in and out. If they can see for themselves without being committed to anything they'll have a chance to see what a difference it will make to your piggies. As for the vet maybe you have a friend with parents who are animal lovers who may be willing to drive you there. I wouldn't advice going behind your parents back, just that if they see the effort your willing to put in they may take your knowledge more seriously. Also ring the vet first and ask for a rough estimate of cost before making the appointment to make sure you have enough money. I really hope this works out for you

Sifjada
10-15-12, 07:18 pm
I'm having issues myself with cages. Not because of parents, but because it's impossible to find C&C materials in this country, so I'm also trying to find alternatives.

As for the problem with not being able to go to the vet, if you're making money, why not just get a cab to drive you? I can't drive, so when my boy had to go to the vet for an emergency, I had to call a taxi to take me. The good thing about them that they're basically quicker than an ambulance, haha.
There really shouldn't be any excuse not to take your pets to the vet. There is always a way, you just have to figure out if the sacrifices are worth it. If they're not, then I suggest waiting on having a pet.

Fizzlepop40
10-15-12, 07:31 pm
Just a quick suggestion about the vet issue... Try explaining to your mom that not taking your pets to the vet is just like not taking your kids/yourself to the doctor when they/you are sick or hurt. Ask her to think about that.

MrWhistles
10-15-12, 07:53 pm
Just a quick suggestion about the vet issue... Try explaining to your mom that not taking your pets to the vet is just like not taking your kids/yourself to the doctor when they/you are sick or hurt. Ask her to think about that.

Many people don't hold pets on the same bar as children.

ZenMama
10-15-12, 08:27 pm
GP3, how old are you? If you have a job, and are spending your own money, then getting them to the vet should not be an issue. You just know that you can't rely on your parents to help you get there. But since they are your pigs, you need to figure it out. Take a cab, ask a friend, do whatever you have to do. Is their only objection that they don't think gp's need to see a vet, and that you should let nature take it's course? What is the objection to making a bigger cage? Most people who have said their parents had an issues, I believe was either because of space, or because the parents were paying for it. So if you have the space, money and materials, and they just don't want to help you, you need to rely on yourself to get it done.

Fizzlepop40
10-15-12, 09:20 pm
Many people don't hold pets on the same bar as children.
You're right, I'll re-word what I was saying...

Ask your mom to think kind of from a guinea pig's perspective. Would she like it if she were sick/hurt and got no medical care?

I hope I expalained that better... lol I'm terrible at explaining...

Guineapiggies3
11-02-12, 03:50 pm
Cavylier THANKS that helped a lot i will have to bring it up with my parents they still havent given in my dad doesnt really care if i build it because we have such a big house my mom is the one who thinks it is stupid. I almost have her convinced though! :)

Guineapiggies3
11-02-12, 04:00 pm
ZenMama thanks i am 14 my mom just thinks that if you take an animal to the vet they are going to give some inanimate illness that they will charge me for seeing them for and for the pills but i keep telling her that they can at least try to help or even fix the problem but she never believes me. two weeks ago my cat got bit by something and i kept telling her that she was hurt and i even had my friends mom who is like a cat expert even tell her that she needed to go to the vet but my mom still said no. I had to yell at her and tell her to take miss kitty(my cat) to the vet because she wasnt even walking on that foot. AND when she did take the vet gave her pills that finally made the swelling go down and she is now perfectly fine and i paid for the vet visit. I dont know what her problem is about vets.

For the bigger cage my mom believes that my guinea pigs have a good life and we shouldnt have to sacrifice any more of our house to them but their cages take up the exact amount of cage space any way but they are seperate and small. And i would be paying for it. oooh and another reason is that she doesnt want me to spend my money because she says that i wont have enough money to buy a car. I dont even have my drivers license yet! i dont know what her problem is.

Guineapiggies3
11-02-12, 04:01 pm
Fizzlepop40 that makes so much sense i will try that on her.

MrWhistles
11-02-12, 04:14 pm
One way I convinced hubby on giving Mr. Whistles(who was the pig we had at the time) a larger cage was I told him to imagine himself locked in a closet for the rest of his life. He'd have to poop, pee and sleep in there. Once or twice a day someone would come by give him a pat, some food/spot clean. But that closet was his own space to move around in. He sat on the thought for a coupla days but soon realized this is what Mr. Whistles needed.

Had he not made his decision or said "No". I really would have locked him in the closet for an hour or so.

pinky
11-02-12, 04:20 pm
I'd ask for the supplies to make a cage for Christmas. After you build it, put one of your cages up on Craigslist and keep your other as a quarantine cage.