Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size how big should be there shelter

cavy is better

Cavy Slave
Hi
do to room problem we have a cage that is a bit small for our 2 cavies(the biggest rabbit cage they have in the store [0.65 m^2]). i wanted to know about the house they need inside, how big should it be? should i have 2 houses?
can it be out of cardboard

cavy is better

Cavy Slave
i am not sure. i took the house out and put a tunnel instead , they looked very stressed. the house is a stool that one of them loves to lie on top. i think we will leave it in the cage

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Are the legs on the stool high enough that a pig can go under it? If so, it's ok to leave it. And you can make tunnels out of cardboard -- just turn something like a shoebox upside down and cut holes in the end. You don't want a cardboard bottom to it, because it will just get really nasty really quickly.

If you've got a small cage, you don't want to take up any more room than absolutely necessary with things that sit on the bottom of the cage. They need room to run around.

cavy is better

Cavy Slave
they can't run under it just get under it crawling(it's their house)

cavy is better

Cavy Slave
here is Rami and the stool

Attachments

IMG_4034.jpg IMG_4032.jpg
Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Can you enlarge those holes on the ends or sides? Maybe with a jigsaw if the plastic is too hard to cut with a knife? That way they could run through it as well as sit on top of it. I have one of those that I use in my cage, and that's what I did to it.

cavy is better

Cavy Slave
I will try, the problem is I am not sure there is room for 2 of them together. Don't they need it?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sorry, I don't understand the question. Don't they need what?

cavy is better

Cavy Slave
Don't they need a shelter big enough for two of them?

lissie

Cavy Slave
They can have separate shelter. Most pigs prefer to have their own house. Have you try the fleece forest? You can also try fleece or towel tent. Those provide shelter without taking up any floor space.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Here are some samples of towel tents.
how big should be there shelter

how big should be there shelter[/QUOTE]

lissie

Cavy Slave
Example of a fleece forest.

You can tie some fabrics to the cage bars to make shelters. That will be better than foot stools that's blocking their running space.

mikey1990

Cavy Slave
you say your piggies seem depressed? im sure if you built them a c&c cage they would be really happy. i had my piggies in a "big" pet store cage (which i thought was big) but it wasnt at all and i did think my piggies were happy, until i built them my own c&c and now they are super happy all the time they have loads of room to run about, jump on top of the house roll in hay and popcorn. They love it. I live in the UK and i found it hard to source the materials to build but i eventually managed it! if you live in the uk just give me a message i can give you abit of advice on where to buy etc..

cavy is better

Cavy Slave
they looked depressed when I took out the stool. my "big" pet store cage isn't so small. it is 0.65[m^2] that is almost 7 sq ft. that is the biggest we can have now so please w/o those ideas, if i could have i would have built bigger. maybe i'l try the fleece forest

mikey1990

Cavy Slave
im not suprised they are depressed they have not got much room or much to do in your cage. investment is a BIG key in your situation.

cavy is better

Cavy Slave
im not suprised they are depressed they have not got much room or much to do in your cage.
please first understand what i wrote. Rami was stressed because his sitting place was taken out. some times people here go a bit overboard with the size issue

mikey1990

Cavy Slave
please first understand what i wrote. Rami was stressed because his sitting place was taken out. some times people here go a bit overboard with the size issue

the size issue plays a big part in a piggies life, if they dont have no exercise or things to keep them occupied or company they will become depressed. i am not going overboard with it, but dont make a thread if you aint gunna like what im going to say about it. trust me i have been there with a small cage and experienced the same as what you are.

cavy is better

Cavy Slave
I will say 1 last time, until now he played very nicely and now with his stool he went back playing. only when the stool was out he looked sressed. o.k? he has a friend with him and they love playing. only he sits there because brownie is too short still to climb up

mikey1990

Cavy Slave
fair do's, only trying to help lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.