Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

My new to me piggies!

tarheelfan912

Cavy Slave
Hi! I'm a new piggie(s) owner. I adopted 3 girls from their original owner 1 week ago yesterday. We are enjoying them very much! They seem to be healthy (fat) piggies, but just to make sure I have a well check up scheduled for them this week. :) So far one of them will let us pet her while in the cage and the other two run when we try to touch them. They all will come up to our hands and sniff (to see if we have something yummy to give them). At first we couldn't catch any of them for lap or floor time, but finally figured out if we put a fleece blanket in one of the upside down pigloos and offer a treat we can get them in the pigloo and take them out for lap/floor time. This has been great b/c at first I was a little discouraged about not being able to handle them sine I thought they were probably pretty tame. Anyway, I have really enjoyed reading post in this forum. I have learned a lot. I think I posted a picture to this thread, but if it didn't show up you can see the girls in the adoption area under 3 lovely girls for adoption. 228428_301232486650929_1346924056_n.jpg

Attachments

IMG_0966.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
First rule of getting new pigs -- make sure they're all the same sex. We've had more pregnant male pigs on here than you can shake a stick at. At the very least, turn them over and inspect them, and separate anybody who looks different.

They are​ cuties! I love that one that's standing up demanding veggies.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Such cute piggies! Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to sharing with you.

OllieandFriends

Cavy Gazer
Welcome to the forum! They are adorable! What are their names? :)

tarheelfan912

Cavy Slave
The original owner has had them together since January, I think. No babies have magically appeared. :) I'm not sure I could turn them over myself anyway. They are pretty skittish. I can't get them out of their cage without using the pigloo. I did take them to the vet yesterday for a check up, just so I would have a baseline for their health. Two of them are phat (fat). :) The vet felt them and said they just felt chubby and not pregnant. They weighed in at 1.6 lbs, 2.8 lbs, and 2.6 lbs...

tarheelfan912

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! They are adorable! What are their names? :)

Their original names were Rachel (white, brown, and black), Phoebe (white and brown), and Monica (black and white), but we are Big Bang Theory fans so we have kinda started calling them Amy Farrah Fowler (black and white), Bernadette (3 colors), and Penny (brown and white). Is it bad to change their names? They are very cute and loved by ALL in our family. Even my husband likes them, he won't touch them but he talks to them. :) Oh and the one standing up begging for food is Amy, she is the most skittish of them all, but she is also the dominate piggie and pushes the other two out of the way for food.

OllieandFriends

Cavy Gazer
Their original names were Rachel (white, brown, and black), Phoebe (white and brown), and Monica (black and white), but we are Big Bang Theory fans so we have kinda started calling them Amy Farrah Fowler (black and white), Bernadette (3 colors), and Penny (brown and white). Is it bad to change their names? They are very cute and loved by ALL in our family. Even my husband likes them, he won't touch them but he talks to them. :) Oh and the one standing up begging for food is Amy, she is the most skittish of them all, but she is also the dominate piggie and pushes the other two out of the way for food.

I'm a Big Bang Theory fan too! It's not bad to change their names, lots of people change the names of their pigs from ones they don't like or they don't think fit them to ones they do like and do fit the pig's personality.

tarheelfan912

Cavy Slave
Ok good, now I don't feel so bad. :) The funny thing is the names do fit their personalities. Penny wheeks a lot, Bernadette is the smaller one of all three and a little more laid back, and Amy is kinda pushy when it comes to the other piggies.

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
They are such cuties!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.