PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning What shall I ever do?

Gohan
09-04-12, 08:09 am
I need to clean my pigs' cage, but I can't pick them up yet, they're still to scared of me to be handled. i've had them for two weeks now. What should I do!:sorry:

OllieandFriends
09-04-12, 08:27 am
Could you try the piggie elevator? Just cut a hole in a shoe box big enough for them to fit in, put the box in the cage and use veggies to bribe them into the box, together or one at a time. Cover the hole with your hand and lift them out in the box.

kananaka
09-04-12, 08:34 am
I need to clean my pigs' cage, but I can't pick them up yet, they're still to scared of me to be handled. i've had them for two weeks now. What should I do!:sorry: We have had our pigs since February and they still dislike being picked up. Most pigs do not like being picked up (for all of their life), but once you have a hold on them most are generally OK. Try Ollie's suggestion or some times you just have to tuck in and grab them as nicely but firmly as possible. http://www.guinealynx.info/handling.html One of my girls squeals when cornered but once in hand she is fine. They are prey animals so usually catching them seems like you are going to hurt them in their piggy minds, we know we aren't going to, but their instinct is that it means death or injury to be caught so they will try to escape from it.

Digital_Dad
09-04-12, 08:53 am
The elevator method or dropping a hand towel on them or where they can burrow in to it and then scoop them up works for ours.

tinutbutter
09-04-12, 10:58 am
I've had my piggies for quite a while and they still hate being picked up! Cooter is easy, strangely enough she likes snuggling into my... well lack of a better term "bosom" lol.... so I bend down and try to get her over to where I am and she'll jump right onto my chest no problem. Weird but works! Maybe using a towel or blanket with the same method will work?

As for Debbie... well she's another case all together! I usually corner her and pick her up with both hands, kind of scoop her up? she wheeks and squeals in protest of it but it's the best way I can get her out. Don't squeeze hard and use both hands! She calms down one I get her so it'll probably be the same for your piggies?

Just some advice for you! :)