Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New to site and relatively new piggie owner too.

texasreb

Cavy Slave
I found this site after a tragedy: one of my two GP's died after chewing a hole in his water bottle and flooding his cage. I'm not sure if he drowned, caught pneumonia, stressed, chilled or something different. It happened over night. He was fine and normal the day previous.

My original intent was to ask about introducing new friends to my very lonely remaining pig, but I discovered C and C cages as well.

I'm sorry to admit that my original pair was woefully, shamefully under-caged. I found a new pair of lovely males (Lord, I hope they are males!) and have brought them home--ironically in an identical cage to one that housed my pair.

Over the weekend, I built a C and C cage. I do have a lovely play area for the boys--it's a 10' x 20' piece of Astro turf. I hope to introduce them to each other in that play area and then move them into the C&C cage--if all goes well. I have no idea how old any of them are as they are all "used" GP's. I think my original male (Midnight) is at least 2 years old--maybe older. The other two were only owned by their most recent former owner for two months--she said that they were young adults. The new ones (Sparkle and Ginger) are heftier than mine--who is rather streamlined and sleek. They are also wider and bigger overall.

Wish me well in my attempts to introduce them all to one another. Midnight is so lonely--I think it will go well on his part, but he was the dominant pig over his previous cagemate (RIP, Rainbow).

If I haven't said it before--I'm very happy to have found this forum!

....and a tiny bit about me: I'm a teacher and I live near Austin, Texas.

Last edited:

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
Welcome, @texasreb! I hope that you can get some great info from here! We are always happy to help with any questions! Here's a link so that you can sex them BEFORE you introduce them to Midnight: https://www.guinealynx.info/sexing.html. It'll help to not have any accidental litters!

texasreb

Cavy Slave
I will definitely sex them before allowing them to access one another! Midnight was sexed by my veterinarian--so he's a known male. If anything looks odd or different from what Midnight has--I'll probably haul the newbies to the vet for verification and/or post pictures for y'alls confirmation.

The thing that has me a bit worried is that they have feminine names.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.