PDA

View Full Version : Fleece Your Reviews on Fleece bedding

MrWhistles
09-03-12, 01:45 pm
I figured this would help some users make their decisions on using fleece bedding.

Do tell:

What bedding you used before
How big your cage is
How many cavys you have
What and how many layers
How often you change the bedding
If you do poop patrols, what is your process and how often do you do poop patrol
How much better or worse is fleece compared to your previous bedding
What do you like most about using fleece
What do you dislike most about using fleece
Do you have ANY smells and if so, what do you use to remove the smells.

ME 1ST:D

I previously used pine shavings
My cage is 2x5
I have 2 sows(girls)
I use 2 layers of uhual pads with 2 extra "cuts" under each hidy/the hackrack to further absorb urine.
I change the bedding every Friday
My poop patrols are done every morning and I use my vacuum to "sweep" up the poos
Using fleece is better than using pine shavings because I am terribly allergic to pine shavings. I will sneeze non-stop, break out in hives and get congestion. It is also better because I save money, I am not buying more bedding every month or so and bedding isn't getting kicked out of the cage when my girls play and run. My girls are also not laying in wet bedding when they urinate. Which is a big plus because laying in wet bedding causes UTI.
I love the different designs of the fleece, how soft it is and the money I save.
The ONLY thing I dislike about fleece is I mismeasured and have to tuck in the fleece under my uhual pads. But binder clips to hold the layers together help when putting the liner in the cage.
I do not have any bad smells coming from my cage. Just fresh green hay smells.

CavyLover1234
09-03-12, 02:15 pm
What bedding I used before: A carefreash type bedding
How big my cage is: 2x3 with a 1x2 loft
How many pigs I have: 2, Puff and Asha
What and how many layers: It depends. Sometimes there are more layers in some places than others. Under all the fleece and towels, there is shredded newspaper, to add some fluff to the bedding.
How often the bedding is changed: 1 time a week
Spot cleaning: 1 time a day
How much better or worse is fleece compared to previous bedding: way better
What I like most about fleece: it is fun to make cage liners, plus the fleece has saved me a lot on other bedding.
What I dislike about fleece: when it is wet it is heavy (I rinse my fleece outside)
Do I have any smells: not really

Sammi15
09-03-12, 02:57 pm
What bedding you used before We used care fresh
How big your cage is Our cage is 2x5 on the bottom and 2x3 on the loft
How many cavys you have 3 females
What and how many layers right now we have 3 layers of towels and a layer of puppy pee pads on the bottom in the loft we have a hospital bed pad.
How often you change the bedding 4-8 days depending on witch set of bedding is on it (we have3 sets ) and 1 looks durty really fast.
If you do poop patrols, what is your process and how often do you do poop patrol My 9 and half year old does a quick vaccum in the worrst spots in the morning and then in the evening just before there veggies my hubbie or i does a full vaccume of the cage.
How much better or worse is fleece compared to your previous bedding i prefurre the fleece as its easer to clean and i dont have to fork out tons of money over and over again.
What do you like most about using fleece that its easer to clean and soft
What do you dislike most about using fleece That i have one set that gets dirty looking real fast because of the cheep type of fleece we used.
Do you have ANY smells and if so, what do you use to remove the smells. I dont find any smell but we also wash them the same way we washed the cloth diapers we used for are daughter... a sent free dye free laundry soap ushaly purex brand in hot water. then we do a second wash in cold water with vingar, as it keep soap residue from building up and stopping the wicking of the fleece.

Ithilgil
09-03-12, 03:00 pm
- always been fleece
- not counting the Carefresh bedding they were using when their ex-owners gave them to me

How big your cage is
- 2x4 C&C

How many cavys you have

What and how many layers
- fleece 1 layer
- towels several layers on the areas they pee the most at

- 5-7 days (depends on how busy I am)

If you do poop patrols, what is your process and how often do you do poop patrol
- 1-2 times a day (depends on how busy I am)

- I'm not quite sure when their ex-owners cleaned the cage, but when I got them, the Carefresh bedding really really stinks

- cheaper in the long run

- the cleaning
- especially the hay cleaning
- and the time it takes to shake all the hay off and the time it takes to clip it all back on in a way that my girls wouldn't burrow under

- sometimes I can smell their pee
- typically on the hot and stale days
- I either place a fan so the smell blows away from me or spray vinegar (not sure if it helps) or Super Pet Clean Cage on the towels (not the fleece) (and once again, not sure if this helps)
- air cleaner works as well to minimize odor

kananaka
09-03-12, 03:16 pm
What bedding you used before: Alpine shavings
How big your cage is: 2x5
How many cavys you have: 2 sows
What and how many layers: 2 layers of uhaul pad, 1 layer of fleece
How often you change the bedding: 1x a week
If you do poop patrols, what is your process and how often do you do poop patrol: Hand held vacuum all over the cage. At least 1x a day (I try to do 2 but sometimes I can't make 2) :o
How much better or worse is fleece compared to your previous bedding: I personally love it. It is so much cheaper after the initial cost of buying the fleece and pad. Also my girls love it and I think it is easier then shavings.
What do you like most about using fleece: I feel it is much more comfortable than shavings, and I think it just looks so pretty.
What do you dislike most about using fleece: Washing it, I hate doing laundry :p
Do you have ANY smells and if so, what do you use to remove the smells.: I just make sure to do poop patrol at least 1x a day and a complete cage cleaning 1x a week. Also making sure to get any hay up that is on the fleece daily because peed on hay stinks:yuck:

MrWhistles
09-03-12, 03:43 pm
Going great everyone!

Theres 1 more thing I forgot to include in the list:
Cleaning.
How do you clean your fleece?
If by machine, do you clothes have any hair or piggy smells on them?
If by machine, do you use top or front loader machines?
I use a front loader
I wash my bedding via machine. All hay must be removed from bedding. Tenny tiny pieces can stay. Alot of guinea hair is often left stuck in the fleece.
Once clean there is no hair, hay or pig smells.

My dryer gets a "hot piggy" smell. But if I leave the door open 5 mins the smell goes away.

Sammi15
09-03-12, 03:54 pm
How do you clean your fleece? Washing machine and Dryer
If by machine, do you clothes have any hair or piggy smells on them? No i have never found piggy hair or smell on our clothes.
If by machine, do you use top or front loader machines? our washer is a high eshance top load.

Lilathandra
09-03-12, 04:22 pm
What bedding you used before: We used Aspen

How big your cage is: Ours is 3x5 with a 2x3 loft

How many cavys you have: We have 3

What and how many layers: We use 2 layers of uhaul pads and one layer of fleece. I put an extra layer of uhaul where they sleep and under the hay.

How often you change the bedding: We change ours every 6 to 7 days

If you do poop patrols, what is your process and how often do you do poop patrol: I don't have a small hand vac thats not super loud so I use a small brush and dust pan.
How much better or worse is fleece compared to your previous bedding: I think its TONS better!

What do you like most about using fleece: It seems so clean to me and super soft to walk and lay on.

What do you dislike most about using fleece: Because my layers are not sewn together it takes me FOREVER (like 2 hours) to get the cage perfect and I do mean perfect. I go and tuck all the edges and tuck the uhaul pads and fleece. It always looks super pretty when first done.

Do you have ANY smells and if so, what do you use to remove the smells: So far they only smell I have noticed what I thought was pee was really just the hay.

How do you clean your fleece: Since ours are not all sewn together. We do have huge pieces of fabric. Thankfully it all fits in one load in the washer. and dryer without an issue. We always sweep and shake it out before tossing in the washer.

How do You get the hay out: When it comes time to wash I try to sweep as best as possible. Then I take it out and shake it out. I have noticed the blizzard fleece doesn't hold onto the hay as much as the anti pill.

If by machine, do you clothes have any hair or piggy smells on them: We have not noticed any piggie smells on our clothes. Hair LOL I couldn't tell you what animal it came from since we have dogs, cats and piggies. So we always have hair on us.

If by machine, do you use top or front loader machines: We have front loaders. We used to have top and Im honestly not sure they would have been able to handle all of the fabric. We would have most likely had to do 2 separate loads.

CavyLover1234
09-03-12, 04:47 pm
How do you clean your fleece: I wash it outside. I use a big container and some speacial dish soap. I also dry it outside. My mom does not want the fleece washed in our washer. After piggie hair being everywhere. It takes about an hour to wash it outside and I also dry it outside.

How do get the hay out: I just shake the fleece into a sack, then I shake the fleece more outside.

masha99
09-03-12, 05:22 pm
What bedding you used before: Aspen shavings
How big your cage is: two 2x4 cages, connected by bridge
How many cavys you have: 4
What and how many layers: newspaper+U-haul blanket (folded)+fleece blankets from dollar store
How often you change the bedding: 1 x week
If you do poop patrols, what is your process and how often do you do poop patrol: as often as I can, at least 1 x day, mostly 2 x day, pickup with rubber gloves
How much better or worse is fleece compared to your previous bedding: much better
What do you like most about using fleece: no kicked up shavings everywhere; no buying shavings, carrying bags etc.; piggies happy to always have extra places to hide under fleece.
What do you dislike most about using fleece: poop/pee/hay dust too visible
Do you have ANY smells and if so, what do you use to remove the smells: yes, esp. towards the end of the week; can't do much about it.

kananaka
09-03-12, 06:57 pm
How do you clean your fleece? Washing machine (fleece and pads at different times)
If by machine, do you clothes have any hair or piggy smells on them? Never.
If by machine, do you use top or front loader machines? Top HE (sanitation cycle)

And the type of bedding we used before is Aspen not Alpine (I always say Alpine when I mean Aspen der der der)

MrWhistles
09-05-12, 04:11 pm
Keep the great reviews coming. They can be positive or negative reviews.

pie_nya
09-05-12, 05:34 pm
What bedding you used before I've used the paper pellets, and before that I used hay.
How big your cage is 5x2
How many cavys you have Two boys
What and how many layers two layers of towels, and one layer of fleece. Some extra hand towels after places that are likely to get wetter (under water bottle)
How often you change the bedding Every 4-7 days (am trying to make it around the 4th day)
If you do poop patrols, what is your process and how often do you do poop patrol I vacuum with a hand held vacuum cleaner daily.
How much better or worse is fleece compared to your previous bedding 100% better, I love it. Its so much easier to clean.
What do you like most about using fleece There isn't a weekly cost, other than laundry soap and water.
What do you dislike most about using fleece Sometimes I really can't be bothered going and shaking it out if I'm changing after a day at work. =P When I get some spare money, I'll have a few whole sets to fix this problem.
Do you have ANY smells and if so, what do you use to remove the smells. I find it smells if I leave it a whole week, which is why I'm aiming for 4 days. Nothing smells after being washed.
How do you clean your fleece? I roll up the fleece, take it outside and shake it out. Then I brush it with the outdoor broom and chuck everything in the machine. It gets washed on a warm setting with ecofriendly/gray water safe laundry liquid. Everyday the cage gets vacuumed and the poo chucked on the garden (the roses are looking fabulous for it).
If by machine, do you clothes have any hair or piggy smells on them? Nope, I also clean the filter after every pig washing day.
If by machine, do you use top or front loader machines? Top loader.

Lovecraft
09-09-12, 12:54 am
What bedding you used before: Carefresh
How big your cage is: 12 sqft
How many cavys you have: 2 dudes
What and how many layers: Antipill fleece up top, absorbent layer is terrycloth (same material as towels, just not...you know...made into towels) folded over 4 times
How often you change the bedding: When I smell it. So, between every 5-7 days
If you do poop patrols, what is your process and how often do you do poop patrol: Dustbuster every day during floor/lap time.
How much better or worse is fleece compared to your previous bedding: 999999^99999 times better. I used carefresh ONCE in the big cage. Once was enough.
What do you like most about using fleece: The convenience of easy cleaning and the ease of checking pee/poop quality.
What do you dislike most about using fleece: Freaking cutting it to fit our weird shaped loft.
Do you have ANY smells and if so, what do you use to remove the smells: Only on the day I change it. I change the bedding, and the smell goes away.
How do you clean your fleece?: Dustbust the poop away, then shake it out outside to get rid of any hay/stray poops, then toss it in the wash.
If by machine, do you clothes have any hair or piggy smells on them?: Nope. No smell. Our clothes are always covered in cat hair though, so pig hair might be there too, I don't know.
If by machine, do you use top or front loader machines?: Top loader.

lkmcswee
09-15-12, 09:31 pm
What bedding you used before: Carefresh

How big your cage is: I have 2 separate cages: both are 2X3 C and C cages with a 1X2 loft

How many cavies do you have: I have 2 girls :)

What and how many layers: I bought my fleece from a company called piggy bed-spreads. It was kind of expensive, but well worth it!

How often you change the bedding?: once a week we do a complete sweep out of the pig room/play area and wash the fleece for the main part of the cages. They don't go up in the loft very much so that can usually last a little bit longer.

Process for "poop patrols": at least once a day with a dust pan and brush.

How much better or worse is fleece?: Fleece is very different from the bedding we used to use (carefresh,) and I definitely prefer it! Most people I've talked to prefer it as well :)

What do you like best about fleece?: It's really pretty, easier to clean, and softer on my piggies paws.

What do you dislike most about fleece?: One of my pigs pees a lot more than the other, so her bedding has to be cleaned more often. Also, even though it is good that you can see the poop/pee to check for problems, it isn't as aesthetically pleasing when it's sitting out in the open!

Do you have any smells?: Nope, I've never had a problem with smells.

How do you clean your fleece?: I use a dustpan to clean out the poop daily, and once a week we wash it in the washing machine. (I don't really know the details of the washing machine part, because my mom takes care of that!) :D

Are there any hairs or smells on the fleece after you wash?: Hair is a huge problem for us. We have a long haired guinea pig, so her hair gets ALL OVER the bedding! We usually attack it with a lint brush after we wash.

Front loader or top loader?: We use a top loading washer.

Hope this helps!

MrWhistles
09-15-12, 09:44 pm
Glad to seethis thread still going. I know this thread would of helped me make my change to fleece. Hopefully this thread will become a sticky as this would be helpful to users makin the plung into the fleece world.

Carissa6729
09-15-12, 09:57 pm
What bedding you used before: Carefresh @$6.00/bag
How big your cage is: C&C - 2x7 + 2x3 + 2x3 :)
How many cavys you have: 2 boars
What and how many layers: 1 Fleece layer used mainly from cheap baby blankets, 1 layer of Uhaul pad. I also use an extra square of Uhaul pad in areas they pee a lot in and also have a litterbox with a small rectangle of fleece and Uhaul pad that they use regularly
How often you change the bedding: Complete changes are 1/week because I'm paranoid of smells since the cage is in the middle of the house and the first thing people see usually, I'm sure it could go longer
If you do poop patrols, what is your process and how often do you do poop patrol: Wet/dry vac or for just a few pieces, I will use my hands in gloves to pick it up. They usually use their litter box so I just empty that out daily and replace the padding
How much better or worse is fleece compared to your previous bedding: Incredibly better, easier to wash, no loose bedding everywhere, can make cute designs and use cute fabrics for decor and plus we NEVER would have made this big of a cage using bedding. It would have cost over $100/week alone in bedding if not more.
What do you like most about using fleece: Easy to change and wash
What do you dislike most about using fleece: Flattening it out; if you use a piggy bedspread or clips, it makes the job MUCH easier
Do you have ANY smells and if so, what do you use to remove the smells: No smells and no reported smells from visitors, I also clean the coroplast with vinegar/water solution and their litter box with it between changing pads.
How do you clean your fleece?: Shake it off outside, gets about 99% of the things off of it in 2 to 3 shakes then washing machine/dryer
If by machine, do you clothes have any hair or piggy smells on them: Never
If by machine, do you use top or front loader machines: Top loader washing machine, front loader dryer

CavyMama
09-15-12, 10:14 pm
Do tell:

I started with my first pig on Carefresh but I have also used aspen, "Yesterday's News" and now fleece.

How big your cage is

I have two 2X5s at the moment

How many cavys you have

I have three boars right now. Two are in one of the 2X5s and one is in the other 2X5.

What and how many layers

I use Piggy Bedspreads but before I had them, I used 1 layer of fleece on top of 1 layer of towels. Although there was some overlap because the towels weren't long enough for the length of the 2X5s

I sweep daily and do a full cleaning weekly.

I have a hand broom and I just sweep up the poos each day and toss them into the garbage can.

It's not any better or worse, it's just different. I do more laundry but don't have as much garbage. It's nice to not have shavings to sweep off the floor.

I love how clean it looks when fresh fleece is in the cage.

There's nothing I really dislike about using fleece.

Only if I wait too long to wash it. I remove the smells by washing the fleece. I also have an air purifier in the pig room.

SardonicSmile
09-24-12, 04:53 am
What bedding you used before: wood pellets, cardboard chunks (called ecobed)

How big your cage is: 140cm x 95cm

How many cavys you have: 3 girls, but one of them has not yet joined the herd.

What and how many layers: On the bottom I have washable incontinence pads, then at least two layers of towels, more in high pee areas, top layer regular fleece. I also have a kitchen area that has wood pellets as bedding.

How often you change the bedding: kitchen area 2-3 times a week (takes not even ten minutes), fleece every ten days or so, but will go with once a week when girl number three joins the cage.

If you do poop patrols, what is your process and how often do you do poop patrol: usually once a day (depends on the colour of the fleece and visibility of the poo), with a dustpan and brush. My pigs sometimes like to "help" by doing zoomies in, up and over the dustpan, scattering poo across the fleece.

How much better or worse is fleece compared to your previous bedding: way better. Cleaner pigs, no smell, no dust.

What do you like most about using fleece: Healthier for me and my pigs where our airways are concerned. Easier to clean than taking out two huge bags of trash. Cheaper, way cheaper than the wood pellets.

What do you dislike most about using fleece: cleaning off the hay and hair before washing it.

Do you have ANY smells and if so, what do you use to remove the smells: The kitchen area smells if I don't clean it often enough. The fleece does not smell, but on cleaning day, when I remove the fleece, the blankets underneath do sometimes smell.

How do you clean your fleece?: Put it on the washing line outside and brush the hay and poops off, then it goes in the washing machine.

If by machine, do you clothes have any hair or piggy smells on them?: no smell, but I do have to vacuum the washing machine to get rid of hair.

If by machine, do you use top or front loader machines?: Front loader

GizzyandMe
09-24-12, 05:32 am
What bedding you used before: Always been fleece since I found this site when I found my first guinea Gizzy

How big your cage is: 2meters x 1 meter

How many cavys you have: 2 - Sniper a snipped male of 2 years and Baby Muis Abby who joined us this weekend at 6 weeks

What and how many layers: My mom makes all our cage "pads" for us. she uses 2 different types of pads - Pad1 = 2 layers of towel with 2 layers of fleece on top. Pad2 = 1 layer of towel 1 layer of padding 1 layer of fleece ontop. When I use Pad2 I put an extra loose towel underneath it. We have started using move of the Pad2 types cause they dry quicker.

How often you change the bedding: Religiously every week. I will sometimes put in fresh tents, cuddle cups etc if I think its needed.

If you do poop patrols, what is your process and how often do you do poop patrol: Every day with a mini dustpan and brush. Sniper also loves helping by attacking the brush or sitting in the dustpan. Gizzy used to try and eat the brush!!

How much better or worse is fleece compared to your previous bedding: After I did research on this site I found more people seemed happy with the fleece hence me going that route. I have wood chips in our hamster cage and I HATE cleaning it.

What do you like most about using fleece: Healthier for me and my pigs where our airways are concerned. Easier to clean than taking out two huge bags of trash. Cheaper, way cheaper than the wood pellets. (Answer stolen but TOTALLY TRUE!!)

What do you dislike most about using fleece: Drying time when not using the dryer!

Do you have ANY smells and if so, what do you use to remove the smells: No bad smells - just the normal hay/guinea smell but it goes away in the wash.

How do you clean your fleece?: I pick it up and shake it out into the garden, if it is really full of hair and hay I give it a quick vacuum then into the washing machine

If by machine, do you clothes have any hair or piggy smells on them? No because I vacuum the fleece if needed before hand.

If by machine, do you use top or front loader machines?: LG 5kg Top Loader

madelineelaine
09-24-12, 10:01 am

When I had a hamster I used wood shavings and carefresh bedding, I disliked both.

How big your cage is

Currently I have a 2x7 with 3x2 loft (kitchen area)

How many cavys you have

I have two cavys, one male, one female

What and how many layers

I have 1 layer of towels in places they don't pee. In places they do pee, I used 4-5 layers. One layer of fleece on top.

I normally change it every two weeks.

I sweep up poop once a day.

one million catrillion bajillion times better then carefresh, and one million catrillion bajillion jillion times better then wood shavings :melodrama

Honestly? It's cheap. It's easy to use, and it's the best thing for the pigs. And I like going fabric shopping.

Nearing the end of two weeks it does start to smell a little bit. When I wash it I just use laundry soap and vinegar, it comes out smelling fine.

porkchophamster
09-27-12, 06:02 pm
Can we keep it going? I'm eager to read more responses! I will post mine a few weeks :)

Owned by cavy
09-27-12, 06:28 pm
What bedding you used before: None. Always been fleece, but have used pine/aspen for my hamster.
How big your cage is: I have 2 cages, a 3x5 and a 3x3
How many cavys you have: 4 sows (3x5) and 2 boars (3x3)
What and how many layers: 1 layer of fleece and 2 layers of uhaul pad. The 3x5 takes two doubled over uhaul pad the boys takes one doubled over uhaul pad.
How often you change the bedding: Complete change every 5-7 days.
If you do poop patrols, what is your process and how often do you do poop patrol: Wet/dry hand vac daily. It's better to use a hand broom for the spots beneath the hay racks, because it sticks to the fleece something fierce, or use litter boxes beneath them to minimize sweeping.
How much better or worse is fleece compared to your previous bedding: I can't imagine using regular bedding in cages this big!! It would cost me a fortune and my piggies are messy. I used to have litter boxes in the cages, but they kick the bedding EVERYWHERE when they're playing and they would cover my entire living room with bedding if I used the regular stuff!!!
What do you like most about using fleece: It's easy to take care of, lasts a long time. It only takes me about 30 minutes to take care of them completely in the morning, including sweeping the fleece, feeding them veggies, washing food and water bottles, everything. Absolute best part is that it doesn't smell.
What do you dislike most about using fleece: Absolutely nothing. I can't imagine having to haul out the bedding from cages the size of the ones that I have. Just cleaning the bedding out would be an enormous undertaking. With the fleece, I just roll it up, shake it out and toss it in the wash. Piece of cake!
Do you have ANY smells and if so, what do you use to remove the smells: No smells. My guinea pig cages just smell like hay. :) Good clean hay. :)
How do you clean your fleece?: Take it outside, give it a good shake. Toss it in the washer on cold with my regular detergent, no fabric softner. Then run an extra rinse cycle with 1 cup of white vinegar. Toss it in the dryer with no dryer sheets. Piece of cake.
If by machine, do you clothes have any hair or piggy smells on them: Definitely no smells and I've never seen any guinea pig hair either.
If by machine, do you use top or front loader machines: Top load washing machine. Nothing special, a few years old. Front load dryer, again nothing special, just a regular old dryer! :)

sdpiggylvr
09-27-12, 08:45 pm
What bedding you used before:

Aspen shavings. Not a fan.

How big your cage is:

I have two cages on fleece: a 2x3 and a 2x4. Each cage has one guinea pig.

How many cavies you have:

I have two currently, one is really aggressive with all guinea pigs so lives as a single, and another whose friend recently passed away and who has since decided she likes the single life. I also normally foster one or two guinea pigs.

What and how many layers:
I have fleece liners with two layers of UHaul pad underneath. I will be switching to separate pieces this weekend (one layer of fleece, two layers of bath towels with three layers in high-traffic areas) for easier cleaning.

How often you change the bedding:

I change the bedding at least once a week. I don't ever go longer than a week because it is my personal preference.

If you do poop patrols, what is your process and how often do you do poop patrol:

I use a small broom and dustpan daily to sweep up poop and soiled hay. When I do the wash I brush off debris with a Fur Be Gone pet grooming brush from Petco. I brush-shake-brush-shake.

How much better or worse is fleece compared to your previous bedding:

Fleece is so much better than shavings. It is less messy--no bedding flying all over the place. It is vastly cheaper--I don't have to buy a small $15 bag every week. It is easier to clean--I don't have to take a spoon and hunt for poop. It is easier to watch for calcium deposits or blood in their urine. It is more hygienic (if used properly). It is is easier to change. One thing I'm still figuring out is how to best wash the fleece. I worry about the hair and stray piece of hay or poop clogging up my washing machine. I really like fleece liners (as opposed to individual pieces), but I think the individual pieces would be easier to clean. The liners can be really heavy to brush off and shake, and that hurts my back. The washing in the washing machine is the only thing I'm not as keen on.

The ease of cleaning. It takes me less than five minutes to sweep up the poop each day. I also love how comfy it is for the pigs. They just love to stretch out on it.

What do you dislike most about using fleece:

The washing.

I currently wash with about 3/4 cup bleach in addition to my fragrance-free detergent, and I think that helps with smell. I don't smell anything unless it's getting to be wash day. Otherwise it's entirely odorless. Another plus!

porkchophamster
10-18-12, 12:13 pm
What bedding you used before: First we used Carefresh, and then Aspen to save money. I liked them both but when we expanded their cage, it was too expensive.

How big your cage is: 2x3 with a 1x2 loft although I want to expand it to a 2x5 with a 2x2 loft when we move next year.

How many cavys you have: 2 sows

What and how many layers: 2 layers of u-haul pads and 1 layer of fleece. I have 3 smaller pads underneath where they sleep. Their loft/kitchen has a Carefresh-type bedding that I change in the middle of the week because they pee/poop most in that area. I was using Aspen but it sticks to the fleece really bad.

How often you change the bedding: Every Friday evening

If you do poop patrols, what is your process and how often do you do poop patrol: I sweep up once a day with a small broom and dust pan

How much better or worse is fleece compared to your previous bedding: A MILLION times better. I don't have to worry about bedding being kicked up all over the place and sticking to my clothes when I change their bedding lol sometimes theres a mess from the loft but not much

What do you like most about using fleece: It doesn't stink, I can monitor their pee/poop a lot easier, it's softer for their feet, and it looks a lot nicer without such a mess around the cage all the time.

What do you dislike most about using fleece: It is hard to tuck the fleece behind the coroplast on the opposite side of the cage and underneath the loft. Sometimes my back hurts while doing it but I am a perfectionist and I HATE when there are lumps and creases in the fleece lol Also, the fleece moves when I sweep up. I can totally deal though. :)

Do you have ANY smells and if so, what do you use to remove the smells: Not yet. I have only had it for about a month. I use the Nature's Miracle Cage Cleaner to clean the coroplast before putting in the clean bedding. The only smells are when I am taking the bedding out of the loft.

How do you clean your fleece: I shake it out really well in the back yard. Then I stick it all in the washer with some detergent using hot water.

How do You get the hay out: The hay doesn't really stick that much. I pick up the big pieces when it falls down the ramp and shake it out really well outside before putting it in the washer

If by machine, do you clothes have any hair or piggy smells on them: No but we have a cat and dog too that shed like crazy so we are used to it. Lint rollers have become my best friend :)

If by machine, do you use top or front loader machines: Front. When I originally washed the u-haul pads it was at my mom's with a top loading and they lost a lot of their material even on gentle cycle. The front loader is much more gentle so I think they will last for awhile.

LithiumRiot
10-18-12, 12:18 pm
What bedding you used before: Kaytee clean and cozy
How big your cage is: 2x4 and ready to expand once i get more connectors
How many cavys you have: 2
What and how many layers: Under the fleece I have towels, and under the towels I use a shower curtain.
How often you change the bedding: Every 4-5 days
If you do poop patrols, what is your process and how often do you do poop patrol: 3 times a day
How much better or worse is fleece compared to your previous bedding: I like both to be honest
What do you like most about using fleece: easy to clean, free once you have the fleece
What do you dislike most about using fleece: Have to change a lot, getting hay out is difficult
Do you have ANY smells and if so, what do you use to remove the smells: Not a lot of smells because I change it a lot