Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Better late than never

Pigaletto

Cavy Slave
It's occurred to me that I never properly introduced myself or my piggies upon joining to forum. I've been waiting to have some stellar recent photos to start out with, but it doesn't seem like I'm going to get those any time soon, so here goes a long and rambling tale.

My name is Alyssa, and I'm somewhat new to keeping guinea pigs. We had one when I was a kid. He lived for 6 years in (retrospectively) terrible conditions. As a kid I didn't know any better, and my parents didn't know any better, either. I liked him but never really got to see what great pets they can be. I can't tell you how many times I've wished I could go back, knowing what I know now. Nibbles deserved better.

Now, many years later, I've been much more a dog and cat person. I still have cats, but can't have any dogs right now. So last fall I started thinking about getting a guinea pig again. I thought it would be a cute, fun, low-maintenance (haha--boy was I in for a surprise) pet. My guy, Matt, was bitten as a kid and said "No way."

Then within a month or so, a client comes into my animal hospital with a piggy she thinks is pregnant. A quick ultrasound confirmed it. She had recently adopted a companion for her female, and was told that it, too, was female. Obviously he wasn't... I told her that I would be interested in adopting one of the babies. She called a few weeks later and informed us that her girl had on over-sized still-born baby. She asked if I'd be interested in the male, because he was lovesick and distraught, trying to break down the divider she'd installed. I went over to meet him the next day and went home and showed Matt some pictures of the most handsome little pig ever. Needless to say, I went back the next day and brought Chiyo home. We were both absolutely smitten with this gorgeous little long-haired calico (which I now know to be a Silky/Sheltie). I am still struck by how CUTE he is!

The previous owner had some extra grids she gave to me because I hadn't had time to go buy a cage. With those, I built a triangle with two sides being 4 grids and and one side with 2. I always want to do right by my pets, so I began researching optimal care for piggies. Inevitably this site came up. I realized my little dude needed a much bigger house and a friend. I bought more grids and upgraded to Coroplast from an old shower curtain. I built him a much bigger house: a 2x4 with a 2x3 upper level, which I had to move out of the bedroom and into the main part of the house. He turned into a different pig!! He started popcorning and coming up to the side of cage when someone walked by, instead of hiding. It was incredible to see that instant transformation. He was suddenly more interactive and lovable!

Then, as if by fate, I found a rescuer only a couple hours away who had a litter of 3 week old boys to place. We talked for a week and then I went and got my new little boy, Koji. He's the only other boy ever who can contend for "cutest piggy." (Sorry, I know everyone's got the cutest piggy. ;) ) After quarantine, I introduced the boys in my bath tub. It only took a few minutes to see that they were going to be best buds. It took 3 or 4 hours to baby-proof "the big house"!! But I could not be happier with our little family. Oh, and Matt is won over too. Who can say no to those cute little lips, wheeking for veggies all blessed day? :p
Better late than neverBetter late than neverBetter late than never
A couple of Koji's baby pictures (he's a few months older and much bigger now), and one "incarnation" of the big house, during a construction phase, with Chiyo.

PiggieAddict
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Is the one on the upper left a texel? He looks like he has some wave to his fur. They're all really cute!

kananaka

Cavy Slave
They are lovely!

Pigaletto

Cavy Slave
@pinky, if you mean the dark one, his mother was a Texel, but now that he's growing up, I'm trying to decide if he's Peruvian or Abbyruvian. He has a few rosettes, but he also has a center part down his back with "bangs" trying to fall over his eyes. I'll have to post some pictures and see what everyone else thinks once his big boy hair is grown in.

OllieandFriends

Cavy Gazer
They are adorable!

pinky

Cavy Slave
@pinky, if you mean the dark one, his mother was a Texel, but now that he's growing up, I'm trying to decide if he's Peruvian or Abbyruvian. He has a few rosettes, but he also has a center part down his back with "bangs" trying to fall over his eyes. I'll have to post some pictures and see what everyone else thinks once his big boy hair is grown in.

If his hair goes back off his head, he's not Peruvian nor an Abbyruvian. Texels can have hair that kind of sticks up on their heads. Texels can have parts but don't always have them. He might have abby and texel characteristics. One of my texels has a part down her back and the other one doesn't. The one without the part has really wild and fine hair. The one with the part has really thick fur.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.