Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Question about cage size

anthunne

Cavy Slave
Question about cage sizeQuestion about cage size

katherine766

Cavy Slave
It doesn't matter how many levels in your cage you have. They need atleast a 2x4 on one level so they can do laps and popcorn.

Digital_Dad

Cavy Slave
Fist off congratulations! They are a truly amazing creature with so much love and fun to offer! They do need to be moved out of the boys bedroom, https://www.guinealynx.info/housing.html . Once they are out of the bedroom you may find a spot where you can build a 2x4 with ease. Mine is in my living room and is starting to actually look really nice and lets me and our family enjoy them even more. Many posts and articles have been written about the reasons a guinea should not be in a kids room from health reasons to proper care and socializing. Building multiple levels will not help them. And we look forward to more posts and pictures, welcome to the site!

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Welcome! :D

Like the others said, it needs to be wider. Guinea pigs aren't much of a climbing animal, they need room to round around and do their crazy sprinting laps on.
I bet you as soon as you make their cage wider you will see them run and popcorn like crazy!
Making it taller really makes no difference to how much space they have available.
If you could take them out of your sons room, find another room for them (where they'll get lots of attention) and make a 2x4, Many of us here have had to re-arrange our room/s to make room for the pigs cage.

anthunne

Cavy Slave
Thank you for your input everyone! The only concern I have about moving it out of my sons room is that I have two "Mouser" cats. I am afraid they will harm the pigs when i'm not there to keep a watchful eye on them. I'm going to have to think about a solution, and quick, because guess what....after digging around in more forums on this site, I've found I have the 8x8 panels that Target changed. So great, now they are in danger of getting their head stuck. Does anybody have any ideas on where I can find 9x9 panels, like tomorrow, lol? Wow you'd think a pet store would give you all the info you need when you get a pet. Unfortunately not. I'm so glad I was able to find this site, so my girls will have a happy life.

NorthernLight

Cavy Slave
Open cages don't work so well in my house because of my own two cats, who are more curious than predatory towards the piggies but still... It looks like the cage you've got is covered, and I assume the cage you are about to build (congrats, by the way!) will be covered too? What is your primary concern about the piggies and the kitties?

anthunne

Cavy Slave
Open cages don't work so well in my house because of my own two cats, who are more curious than predatory towards the piggies but still... It looks like the cage you've got is covered, and I assume the cage you are about to build (congrats, by the way!) will be covered too? What is your primary concern about the piggies and the kitties?

The cage I will be building will definitely be covered. I have 2 cats. One of which is very predatory. He has brought me several birds in the past and I swear every time I step outside, he has a lizard in his mouth. He has seen the cavies and tried to swat at them through the cage, they just haven't been close enough to be caught. I have sprayed him on several occasions with a water bottle when he gets close, but he comes back time and time again.

My cats are only outdoors during the day, and only then because I have my dog door on to let my dog come and go. Once night time hits, the cats come inside. Beginning Tuesday, I will be in school 40 hours a week, the dog door will not be on, the cats will be inside and I will not be home to "supervise." So not only will there be the change of me not being home, they will be pent up and their new "prey" ill be right in front of their faces. Leaving them outside while I'm gone isn't an option because we have coyotes in the area and if I were to make it home after dark...I couldn't leave them to get eaten. (Several of my neighbors have lost cats to the roaming coyotes :-( )

I wouldn't want them on the floor because I have tile and I'd worry about drafts. My next worry is of them tipping over the cage. (My second cat is a big follower. He does whatever my "bully" cat tells him to)

Yes, you can call over-analytical....I just want everything to work out.

NorthernLight

Cavy Slave
anthunne, it sounds like you have given the pigs/ cats dilemma a lot of thought. I was about to suggest putting the pigs in a room with the door closed to the cats, but you probably already considered that, and I wouldn't want to recommend something that makes the pigs live "out of the way". Piggies do best when they are part of the family's routine. Hmmm... *scratches head* Let me give this some more thought.

Is your leader-kitty an orange tabby by any chance? They tend to be particularly feisty. Just ask my chubby orange cat, Jack. :)

Oh, and in case I didn't say so yet: WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

jacqueline

Cavy Slave
yes, let me add my resounding welcome!! there's so much to learn here, it can be overwhelming, but you'll catch on. In terms of the advise to take them out of your boys' bedroom, the real question is making sure they get plenty of attention and care. depending on your own situation, your pigs may be fine in your boys' room.

i have a feral i adopted years ago. she is still very skittish and not at all aggressive. initially she was very curious about the pigs. even now when i have them on my lap, she'll come up and nose them and try to rub on them, very gently - all with my hand right there. some of the pigs respond quite positively to her, other are more skittish. if the pig is nervous i just shoo the cat away.

my cat is highly unlikely to ever "attack" the pigs, but i know when i leave for work, i do make sure there isn't anyway for her to get to the cages.

if your cats are "jumpers" this may nor work, but perhaps you could put a play pen of sorts around or over the cages while you're away.

basically, you'll get lots of advise here, and then you do what works best for you and your animals and people

the cage should be widened, however. they really do need room to run around and a 1 grid wide space won't give tem the space they need.

good luck and keep us posted!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.