Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi!

kdurheim

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone :)
I'm a teen and I have one guinea pig of my own! My younger sisters each have one as well!
My pig is named Pheobe, after the lady who helped me at the store! She is almost 8 months and accidentally pregnant :guilty: More on that later.
photo.jpg
My sister has Linnie! Shes about one year old now :)
photo (1).jpg
And my other sister has Yoda, the only male.(no pics yet) We just got him about two weeks ago! We didn't realize, stupidly, that he could get Pheobe pregnant because he's so young! They really took a liking to each other and decided to let them be in the same cage. After a little research, we found out that he can get her pregnant! We just took her out of his cage but due to her recent aggressive behavior to Linnie as well as her increased food intake and slight weight gain, we believe that she is pregnant. At this point we realize our mistake and that all we can do now is take good care of all of our piggies!

kananaka

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome. There is lots of great info here for taking care of pregnant pigs. You learned the hard way and are right, now all you can do is take the best care of your pigs you can. Any questions you may have we will be happy to answer.

j1a1i1smit

Cavy Slave
hi friends, i'm from India. i wanna welcome to you all
:sick:

Piggypogs

Cavy Slave
That may be a tough pregnancy as a females pelvic bone fuses after about 6 months of age, this only happens if she has never had babies. Guinea pigs with the fused pelvic bone and are prego will likely die during birth as they will have no way of getting the babies out the only way to save the babies is to a a c section the mommy pig will likely die but the babys should live.

Be sure you know all genders berfore putting the pigs together!!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@Piggypogs, guinea pig pelvic bones do NOT fuse at six months of age. In fact, they never fuse. What happens is that the ligaments that hold the pelvic bones together stiffen at about 8-9 months of age, and a sow getting pregnant for the first time after that age MAY have trouble delivering the pups. Neither the mother nor the babies will likely die -- many sows do successfully deliver a first litter after that age.

What the owner needs to do is to read up on the signs of pregnancy and labor (https://www.guinealynx.info/reproduction.html and https://www.guinealynx.info/labor.html) so they'll know what's normal and what's not. An exotic vet needs to be lined up in case of an emergency, or if an exotic vet is not available, an emergency vet.

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! I'm sorry you had to learn the hard way about putting a male and female in together. Piggies are able to reproduce at 3 weeks, (21 days) so make sure the pups are separated at 21 days, or you'll have even MORE piggies on your hands!

I hope you can find some great info here and your Pheobe has a wonderful pregnancy and delivery; and delivers happy, healthy pups.

Piggypogs

Cavy Slave
@Piggypogs , guinea pig pelvic bones do NOT fuse at six months of age. In fact, they never fuse. What happens is that the ligaments that hold the pelvic bones together stiffen at about 8-9 months of age, and a sow getting pregnant for the first time after that age MAY have trouble delivering the pups. Neither the mother nor the babies will likely die -- many sows do successfully deliver a first litter after that age.

What the owner needs to do is to read up on the signs of pregnancy and labor (https://www.guinealynx.info/reproduction.html and https://www.guinealynx.info/labor.html) so they'll know what's normal and what's not. An exotic vet needs to be lined up in case of an emergency, or if an exotic vet is not available, an emergency vet.

My freind who is an exotic vet told me that.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Your friend who is an exotic vet, if indeed that is true, is wrong.

kdurheim

Cavy Slave
Thanks to all!! Any tips on getting Pheobe used to Linnie again would be helpful! They used to get along fine but now Pheobe attacks Linnie all the time!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.