Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Cages and fleece??

mandagirl528

Cavy Slave
I recently got my first guinea pig and currently have a cage from a pet store. Everyone I've talked to has said that C&C cages are better though, and fleece is better than bedding. Can someone please explain what the difference is? And also maybe pros and cons?

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
The main cons of bedding are that it's very expensive buying bag after bag after bag, making fleece a better choice since you only have to buy it once and just wash it every time. Other than that, it's easier to clean (No shoveling) and some say it looks nicer, though that's a personal preference. I'd much rather have the natural look of brown Carefresh than fleece. :crazy: Personally I use sorta half and half. Most of my cage is fleece (3x7 with a 2x2 loft) then I have a 2x3 section that is bedding, which is where they go to the bathroom most.

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
Well, mandagirl, the differences are so large, I can't even begin to describe them.
1. Even the largest pet store cages are WAYYYYYYY too small!
2. Fleece is much easier to clean and saves you hundreds of dollars a year in bedding. Here's a link about fleece and all the great stuff about it: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/bedding/21568-fleece-project-study-24.html
3. C&C cages are much cheaper to make than a pet store cage is to buy. You can also custom fit it to fit in with your house. I built my 2x5 with a 2x1 loft for around $50. A pet store cage less than A QUARTER of that would cost almost double!
4. Fleece is MUCH easier to clean! Just vacuum the fleece twice a day to spot clean, and once a week, shake it outside, and wash it with unscented detergent and white vinegar. (No fabric softener. EVER.)
5. Since C&C cages are bigger, it's less work to clean, and the piggies can get more exercise, thus being happier and healthier. Happy, healthy piggies mean fewer, and less expensive vet bills.

The list can go on and on, but I'll let other users contribute some other ideas. I would really encourage you to built a C&C! On the homepage of the site (not the forum homepage) there are links about how to built C&C cages at home. All you really need is Coroplast or a shower curtain, zip ties, and SAFE grids. Here's a link to he site homepage for you to explore: Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home There is a box on the left hand side labeled " C&C Cages". Those are links to everything you could ever want to know about C&C cages.

arionat799

Cavy Slave
For pros and cons on C&C cages go to the home page, Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home. There is actually a full pros and cons list there. :) Also, I use fleece myself and love it personally. PigPandemonium basically said it all above, and I like the look of it, because you can get fleece however you want. Cute adorable fleece, cool patterened fleece, solid fleece, anything you want really! There are so many to choose from! Also I thing it makes your cage look less like a "rodent cage" if that makes sense, you know what I mean?

However, there are also some pros to normal bedding, but usually them major con is money. Hope I helped! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.