Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mites Ivermectin Vs. Revolution for Mites

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on Ivermectin vs. Revolution for mites. I'm going to treat the girls to see if Amy's biting might be possibly caused by them. I did notice more scratching after I got Quinn, but it's not really excessive and there's no hair loss on either girl, so I've been taking it slow and researching treatments. I plan to do a topical treatment but I'm not getting a clear sense over whether one of those drugs is better than the other.

I'm very familiar with Ivermectin as a horse wormer. I don't know as much about Revolution and other cat/dog treatments because are kitties stay strictly indoors, so they don't need flea treatments. I'd love an advice.

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I've only ever used Revolution.

When I rescued Penny she was itchy and shedding quite a bit. I decided to treat her for mites just as a precaution. She eventually stopped itching and doesn't shed as much (I think abbys tend to shed more than other pigs). I don't know if it was the Revolution that helped or a better diet. She was fed complete garbage!

Sheldon had lice when I rescued him, so he was treated with Revolution. It worked great! By the next day I didn't see any crawlies. The next day after that I gave him a bath since you can bath after 24hrs (I think it was 24hrs) of using Revolution. That way I got all the dead buggers off. That wouldn't really work for mites, though.

Revolution does need a prescription, though. If I were you, and felt comfortable enough about dosing yourself, I would try the Ivermectin.

Good luck and I hope you get some better answers than mine! :p

lemonham

Cavy Slave
I've used only Ivermectin because it is cheaper. Both are supposed to work well. I think it just depends on what you can get your hands on.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
I use Revolution because It's easy for me too get and cheaper, unlike Ivermectin the only place I've manged to get it from is the vets and it cost a bit to more to get it.

I think both are fine to use, just get the one that is easier for you to get.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Both are relatively safe - ivermectin has a longer history and by default a better track record. I've used both with pigs and can't really recommend one versus the other, it comes down to convenience for you, really.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Thanks to all for the input. I'm going to shop around and see which is cheapest/easiest to obtain, since it sounds like either one will do the job. I like topical because I remember how easy it was for the kitties the one time I had to treat them. I rescued a kitten on the expressway, and he turned out to be crawling with fleas. One quick dab for everyone took care of it. I don't remember what the vet gave us for that.

coconutty78

Cavy Slave
I've only ever used Revolution.

When I rescued Penny she was itchy and shedding quite a bit. I decided to treat her for mites just as a precaution. She eventually stopped itching and doesn't shed as much (I think abbys tend to shed more than other pigs). I don't know if it was the Revolution that helped or a better diet. She was fed complete garbage!

Sheldon had lice when I rescued him, so he was treated with Revolution. It worked great! By the next day I didn't see any crawlies. The next day after that I gave him a bath since you can bath after 24hrs (I think it was 24hrs) of using Revolution. That way I got all the dead buggers off. That wouldn't really work for mites, though.

Revolution does need a prescription, though. If I were you, and felt comfortable enough about dosing yourself, I would try the Ivermectin.

Good luck and I hope you get some better answers than mine! :p

I am actually gonna try the Revolution tomorrow on my two new GP's Rango and Beans. Everything you mentioned about the sheding and the garbage diet all fall under my same situation with these new guinea pigs. Also i have always been curious if Abby's do shed more and maybe in general scratch just a little more randomly because of their hair. I really haven't noticed much going on with Beans but since he lives with Rango i'm doing it for precaution.

How long was it before you noticed a difference after treatment?@ellisa

ellisa

Cavy Slave
I am actually gonna try the Revolution tomorrow on my two new GP's Rango and Beans. Everything you mentioned about the sheding and the garbage diet all fall under my same situation with these new guinea pigs. Also i have always been curious if Abby's do shed more and maybe in general scratch just a little more randomly because of their hair. I really haven't noticed much going on with Beans but since he lives with Rango i'm doing it for precaution.

How long was it before you noticed a difference after treatment?@ellisa

For Sheldon's lice I noticed a difference by the next day. I didn't see any more live lice on him, and I was able to bath him to get the dead crawlies off.

I don't really remember how long it was for Penny. Within a week it had gotten a lot better, but I'm not sure if it was from the Revolution or the healthy diet. She still sheds more than any other pig I've had, but it is significantly better than when I rescued her. Brushing helps her a lot, too. I'm not sure if she even had mites, but I wanted to treat her anyways just to be on the safe side.

Revolution is pretty fast acting. If you happen to get some on you, you will notice that it quickly absorbs and it's cool once on skin.

coconutty78

Cavy Slave
For Sheldon's lice I noticed a difference by the next day. I didn't see any more live lice on him, and I was able to bath him to get the dead crawlies off.

I don't really remember how long it was for Penny. Within a week it had gotten a lot better, but I'm not sure if it was from the Revolution or the healthy diet. She still sheds more than any other pig I've had, but it is significantly better than when I rescued her. Brushing helps her a lot, too. I'm not sure if she even had mites, but I wanted to treat her anyways just to be on the safe side.

Revolution is pretty fast acting. If you happen to get some on you, you will notice that it quickly absorbs and it's cool once on skin.

Yeah i now have 3 abby's and they just seem to shed more often where as i hardly see anything come of Beans as he is the only american GP in the mix.

Well like you said your girl may not have had mites at all, but better safe than sorry. My vet said i can do the revolution just in case for all of them, but she said that if Rango in particular still seems itchy even after the fact we are gonna do another test to see if he has ring worm, which my goodness i hope not because then i will have to treat Beans for that as well, luckly the other 2 don't live in the same cage. Then there is the chance i can get the ringworm from Rango if he does have it, uuuggghhh. I'm glad i rescued them, not glad about the problems that have come with them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.