Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

sick guinea pig

mavsgirl89

Cavy Slave
hi im new to the group and i was just wondering if yall had any opinion on what might be wrong with my guinea pig. He usually runs around and squeeks when i go into his room, but lately he hasnt been running or squeeking. also he isnt eating and his eyes are stuck shut and he has white crusties on them. he also seems to have lost weight. i just dont know whats wrong with him any thoughts would be greatley appriceated thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Well, from your description it sounds like he has an upper respiratory infection. He should see a vet ASAP. URIs are usually almost always fatal if left untreated.

If he's not eating you need to start hand feeding immediately, his gut will eventually go into stasis and his body will start shutting down.

mavsgirl89

Cavy Slave
thanks ill try and get him in tomorrow

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
He's very ill, and needs to be seen by a good vet ASAP. Pigs hide illnesses until it's too late, sometimes. You need to learn to recognize the signs of an URI early, so you can get him in for treatment.

You need a good exotic vet. Dog and cat vets get almost no education or experience in treating small exotic pets.

Do post back and let us know what happens with him. If the vet gives him antibiotics, as he should, you'll need some help with hand feeding and probiotics.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.