PDA

View Full Version : Liners Questions

xXMaggieXx
08-21-12, 03:09 pm
So I got my U-haul pads on Sunday. I have a few questions

How do I prepare the U-haul pads?

When I wash the liners will the U-haul pads turn my fleece a different color, I read something on the forum about them washing the U-haul pad and the fleece changed colors

I could also use some tips on how to make the liners.

Do I wash the U-haul pas with no fabric softner like for the fleece?

jacqueline
08-21-12, 03:15 pm
i would wash the uhaul pads at least once in the hottest water possible. when you go do cut them, cut them a little bigger than you need - they sometimes shrink a little i the wash the first few times.

i never use any scented detergent when washing piggie things.

i've never had my fleece turn colors from the uhaul pads.

everyone does their liners differently. i just discovered (accidentally) that all i really have to do is put down two layers of uhaul pads, and the fleece (which isn't sewn onto the pad) gets clipped (with binder clips) to the sides of the coro. i cut my fleece so it lays just a little over the top of the coro.

so, i really don't have to sew the liners at all! woo-hoo!

xXMaggieXx
08-22-12, 11:14 am
Okay so Im washing them on the towel setting which is hot water. So I need to wash, dry, wash, dry?

Zuidy
08-22-12, 11:56 am
Washing 1 time isn't enough. And I have never heard of washing them with Fleece changing color.

You need to wash everything and dry everything 3x each, on the highest heat setting, and Iron them if available.

I wasted about 60 dollars when I had my first batch of Liners shrink.

Um, if you are making a Liner then obviously you shouldn't use fabric softener? The Fleece is the top layer of U-Haul pad liners.

On making them:

Cut a bit more fabric than you need. It will allow a bit of shrinkage and make sure it still fits the whole cage base.

Measure twice, cut once!

__

Good luck!

xXMaggieXx
08-22-12, 12:03 pm
Thank you, Im washing the U-haul pads right now. I meant do I use fabric softner when Im just washing the U-haul pads. Im just using detergent for them. Hopefully our old sewing machine will be able to sew threw the fleece and U-haul pads when the time comes to make them

Zuidy
08-22-12, 12:05 pm
Thank you, Im washing the U-haul pads right now. I meant do I use fabric softner when Im just washing the U-haul pads. Im just using detergent for them. Hopefully our old sewing machine will be able to sew threw the fleece and U-haul pads when the time comes to make them

Oh I see. Yup sounds great!

We used an antique, 100 year old knee-pump sewing machine and it worked great once we changed the needle.

:)

xXMaggieXx
08-22-12, 12:08 pm
We recently changed the needle. Im going to get some velcro to keep the liner down in the loft, as Lilly wont stop burrowing!

jacqueline
08-22-12, 02:12 pm
yes, you have to wash and dry fleece three times. my last understanding, from a reliable post here on this forum, is that you did not need to wash u-haul pads 3 times - once was enough, though they may still shrink a bit.

if i have that wrong, please correct me!

xXMaggieXx
08-22-12, 02:40 pm
Okay thanks

spy9doc
08-22-12, 06:28 pm
And I have never heard of washing them with Fleece changing color.

It can happen. Consider that the uHaul pad is recycled blue denim. If you wash it with something like a light colored fleece--think yellow--and you can have green fleece as a result. Most of the time washing the uHaul pad a couple of times in hot water by itself will take care of this.

Dry it in a hot dryer both times to get all the shrinkage out of the way. One time isn't enough. Otherwise, if you carefully sew your liners, the uHaul pad may shrink.....and more than the fleece and totally mess up your handiwork. :mad:

One other tip......after the uHaul pad has been washed and dried a couple of times, then press/iron it so that it will lie flat. Your fleece will stretch in all directions, so pin the fleece even with the uHaul pad because it is more stable and won't stretch out of proportion. I think I even did a basting stitch around the pad to make it absolutely stable.

Have fun!