Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lump Bump on back?

rainbowswirl97

Cavy Slave
Hi. My guinea pig, Tigger was sitting on my lap a couple days ago and as i was petting him i noticed a bug bite like bump on his back. Its. Een a few days and its still there. Im worried. Is this serious or could it be a bug bite? I did have him outside a while before i noticed the bump. I really dont know. Please help me :( thanks so much.

rainbowswirl97

Cavy Slave

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Is the bump hard and firm?
How large is the bump? As big as a penny, nickle, quarter?
Does it move at all? How does your piggy react when you do anything to this bump?

rainbowswirl97

Cavy Slave
He acts like its itchy and its the size of a bug bite .. Smaller than a penny think.. Or maybe the size of one. Maybe a dime! It dosent move and its hard i think. I dodnt want to toich it too much incase it hurt him.. Bur when i pet him there he turns his head around and tries to itch it.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Have you parted the fur to see what it looks like?

I'd get him in the vet as soon as you can. Is it on his spine or beside it?

rainbowswirl97

Cavy Slave
its not on his spine.. low back to the side. it just looks like his skin is raised.. like a human bug bite.

rainbowswirl97

Cavy Slave
DO you think it could be serious?

lissie

Cavy Slave
It could be an abscess. If it is, you need to get a vet to drain it and might also ned antibiotics. Could also be a cyst. Either way, you should take him to the vet.

See this link for different types of lumps.
https://www.guinealynx.info/lumps.html

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Anything unnormal and magically appearing on your animals is considered "bad" to me. These things would call me to make a vet appointment. It could be life threating to your piggy.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Agreed. There are so many things it could be. And the fact that your pig acts like it's itchy could mean that he has mites, a different issue from the actual lump.

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
I would also take him to the vet just to be safe. It could very well be a bug bite; last I checked, guinea pigs were fair game for mosquitoes. But it could also be an abscess or tumor or cyst. Even if it turns out to be just a bite, you'll spend 50 bucks or so to have it confirmed one way or the other.

rainbowswirl97

Cavy Slave
Oh no oh no oh no. Im crying and cant stop. It seems like the bump has gotten bigger and he may have a slight head tilt and one of his eyes is very crusty. Im so scared. Im trying to convince my parents to let me take him to the vet.. I need to. But they said they dont want to be spending hundreds of dollars. I just dont know what to do :'( :'( i love him and dont want to see him go

rainbowswirl97

Cavy Slave
Trying to convice them to take him to the vet.. If hes going to need a surgury or something is it safe?

ellisa

Cavy Slave
Hopefully your parents agree to take him to a vet. It sounds like he needs to go asap. The crusty eye could be an eye infection or an URI. The head tilt could be an ear infection, parasites, or a neurological problem. The lump could be so many different things.

rainbowswirl97

Cavy Slave
Update: tigger's eye has seemed to clear up and he was happy popcorn ing and playing:) the lump is still there .. Now for the head tilt.. I might be seeing things but its not so much a tilt as it is one eye you can see the whites of his eye and the other seems more shut and you cant see the white part (like around the pupil) maybe he poked himself witth hay? Do i sound crazy and does that make any sense at all? Thats all im noticing for now

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
He really needs to be seen by a vet. I hope your parents can understand how important he is to you and that he likely won't get better on his own.

C_Elise

Cavy Slave
"cleared up" or not, symptoms were shown and they need to be evaluated by a vet stat. Only a veterinarian can say if Tigger is truly back to normal or not. Guinea pigs are very very good at pretending they're not sick, because if you think about it, Guinea Pigs in the wild are hunted by tons of other animals, and sick animals are the ones that get hunted and killed first, so pigs are very good at masking a serious illness until a few days or weeks before they die.. So I'm going to have to agree with everyone else that you must convince your parents that they must take the pig to the vet. I dont know how old you are, but offer to do extra work around the house for an extended period of time? or if youre old enough, get a job and work 10 - 15 hours per week to pay them back. Show them this thread even, with our responses, just so they get it. But I definitely think Tigger needs medical attention pronto.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.