Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Good evening everyone!

TwistedHarls

Cavy Slave
Hi there, I'm new to this forum, and I'm a new guinea pig owner. I recently adopted two guinea pigs from a local 'rescue' group. Their names are Sam and Dean Winchester. My boyfriend and I decided to rename them to that, because Peanut and Oreo didn't seem to fit them. Dean is a multi-colored short hair, and Sam is a dark brown/black and reddish brown Abyssinan(long, messy hair). Dean has warmed up to us a lot and likes to take food from us. Sam is really skittish and reluctant to take food from us, but is a lot more calm.
The reason I have quotes around rescue is because of how the guinea pigs have acted and looked since we got them. Their nails are really long, like they haven't been cut for a while, Sam's fur was really dirty, and their cage reeked. The water in their bottle was yellowish and looked really gross, and there was caked on bodily waste everywhere in the cage.

They came in a small store-bought cage that I cleaned out the day after I adopted them. The cage seemed like it hadn't been cleaned for a while, or even ever. I scrubbed it out and put fresh bedding in there for them, but now I'm interested in making a new cage for them. (I'm going to start a new thread about that) But I'm excited to have found this forum!

Hopefully I'll be able to find my way around this forum pretty easily...
Does anyone have any recommendations on cutting their nails? I've looked into it and I know that they have that little blood thing that grows with their nails, so I'm afraid to cut them by myself. Could I get a pet groomer to do it?

jade_14

Cavy Slave
Welcome! :) You could take them to your local vet, I'm sure they would cut them for you if you are a little nervous doing it for the first time! For 2 pigs I imagine it would be quite cheap.
I highly recommend looking into building a c&c cage! There are tons of pictures on here that would give you a good idea on what to build. :)

TwistedHarls

Cavy Slave
Thank you! :D I'm going to have to find a vet that takes cavies, but I'm sure I could find one. I'm definitely going to build them a cage, as soon as I find the best place to get the materials!

amiamiami

Cavy Slave
Welcome here !

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
Welcome! If they have white paws with white nails, you can see the quick. (The blood vessel)I always have on hand Qwik-Stop, which helps to clot the blood if you accidentally ever cut the quick. I use cat clippers for my pigs, and they're pretty patient. Then again, there are always veggies on hand... :D I got $8 cat clippers at WalMart, and those work great!

My pigs actually came from a similar situation... Overgrown nails, DISGUSTING cage, the works. I still haven't gotten all the crud out of the cage... My pigs act VERY similar to yours, also! <the plot thickens>

jellyburp

Cavy Slave
welcome to the forum!

if your piggies nails are white you can see the quick. be careful not to cut to close to the quick. if your piggies nails are black be very careful when cutting them or you can have an exotic vet cut them.:)

mjlesy

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome to the forum! I had to comment because I LOVE the names that you chose! lol. (I'm a huge fan of Supernatural) I was also scared to clip the nails of my 3 piggies - so I had a groomer do it the first time. But at $10 a pig, I decided to learn to do it myself. I was surprised to find how easy it was.
Good luck with your piggies! :eek:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.