Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Weight Loss Pedialyte?

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
So I've been supplementing Felix with critical care, since his weight has dropped 50 grams from Monday, when he had his hernia surgery. I've just gone to get him pedialyte, because he really isn't drinking and I don't want him to become dehydrated, especially with the antibiotic and pain meds we have to give him. He is eating veggies, but not as much as usual.

How much pedialyte should I give him? and do I give him straight pedialyte, or do I need to dilute it?
Thanks !

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Whenever I give Pedialyte I just syringe it straight into my pig. Sometimes I will use it instead of water when I'm making critical care. I'm not really sure if there is a limit as to how much they can have. I doubt that there is.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I think you can give it straight, but you can also just syringe him some water. If he's eating veggies, just leave them extra wet.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Yesterday I gave him 9cc, and his poop was fine so I don't think it was too much. This morning he maintained his weight, so I'm happy about that.

He went down 25 g the first day, then an additional 25 grams the second day. Now he's at 1000.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.