Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello~!

Aislinn

Cavy Slave
Hello! I am a first-time piggy owner, and adopted my two female piggies on Sunday. I've been wanting a piggy for years, and my parents finally agreed to let me get them! Currently, they live in a 'pet store' cage, but when I am making more money, I am going to be building them a wonderful C&C cage! I have everything for fleece bedding, except the underbedding, which I will hopefully be getting tomorrow! So, here are my piggies!

Meet Reeses! She's about 1.5 years old, and is an American Crested, or so my friend @Tablo, who has has an American Crested of her own, has said.
DSCN3191.jpg
[Ignore my mug! :p]

And this is Marshmallow! She is about 7 months old now, and I'm not quite sure what type of piggy she is. I just know she's adorable! She's quite the nibbler.
DSCN3192.jpg

And this is the two sweethearts together! This was the sunday, the same day I brought them home, so they were nervous :(
DSCN3203.jpg

They get lots of attention, and love, in their new home. I can't wait until I can get, and build, them a proper cage. Mallow has a slight case of the sniffles, it apepars, though. I don't know if it was because of the fact that the home that was fostering her was not feeding her the right stuff, or what, but I'm keeping an eye on it, and will take action if needed. They LOOOVE romaine lettuce, and have each eaten one slice of green bell pepper, yesterday, but so far, they don't like cherry tomatoes, red peppers, or oranges. I'll be trying celery tonight, and buying some carrots tomorrow!

Edit: I'm a little worried about Mallow, because of the sniffles, and because she REFUSES to take her Vitamin Supplement. :( I was thinking of getting drops for her, and feeding them directly to her, instead of mixing them with water, since Reeses is eating her supplement with no problem, and don't want to give her too much. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If they're eating hay and vegetables, they don't need a vitamin supplement. They need a cup of veggies per day, and you can teach them to eat new ones by dicing them very finely (think the size of a pencil eraser cut in 6-8 pieces) and putting them on their pellets. They'll get enough by accident to get accustomed to the taste, and you can then feed in larger pieces.

Watch the dried urine spots in their cage, and if you see white powder/grit, then switch them off romaine to red or green leaf lettuce. Some pigs, but by no means all, have problems with excess urinary calcium when eating romaine.

Do watch those sniffles carefully -- pigs hide illnesses very well, and can go downhill in a big hurry. If you notice any discharge around the eyes or nose, or if the pig seems at all ill, get her to a vet ASAP.

Tablo

Cavy Slave
Haygurl<3

Nico doesn't take his vit c either, unless I cram it in his mouth until he finally chews it/finishes enough and I'm statisfed.

Aislinn

Cavy Slave
@bpatters Thanks so much for the helpful hints! :) They are currently not getting anywhere near a cup of veggies a day, even with the lettuce. Also, thanks for the tip on their urine. :) I'll keep an eye out!

I've been watching the sniffles, as well, since I noticed them, on sunday. She seems to be okay. I haven't seen any discharge, and I've been checking her a lot, whenever she lets me.

@Tablo Hayguuuurl<3

Yeah, I tried that with Mallow, and she nibbled me so hard she left little welts on the back of my hand LOL So, I've just given up on trying to give her her supplement. Didn't even bother, today. I'll definitely try dicing up the veggies finely, and putting it on their pellets, though, as they usually have some pellets after their evening veggies. Will be feeding them soon, so we'll see. :)

Tablo

Cavy Slave
I got Nico his new bowl and he just chows LOL did you see the picture I sent you?

If you're really worried, you could crush the pill and sprinkle it on their pellets. I did that when Nico had his URI, but if he would let me, just kinda "pinch" their cheeks to open their mouth a little and pop it in, and they should just chew it (might have to try a couple times, Nico HATES it) and swallow it.

Aislinn

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I saw LOL.

I'm not EXTREMELY worried, but I'm concerned, y'know? I'm going to see how things go, tonight, with their evening food/veg.

I tried doing that, and it didn't work LOL. She'd just spit it out. She REALLY didn't want to take it.

Tablo

Cavy Slave
Yep, exactly like Nico.

coconutty78

Cavy Slave
Hello & welcome. Your new piggies are very cute and i love the neat little hairs on either side of Marshmallows eyes very unique. Hope you get the c&c cage up and running real soon. Hopefully the sniffles Marshmallow is having is nothing serious. Its always a good idea to drop by a vet to have a good once over especially because they are new to you and you don't always know what there previous circumstances were prior to arriving in your care. Good Luck with your girls:)

Aislinn

Cavy Slave
Thanks, Coconutty! I was thinking of talking to my mum, so we could take the girls to the vet, just for a quick check up. I just wanna be safe, y'know?

@Tablo LOL Silly boy. C<

Tablo

Cavy Slave
I told my mum that we might wanna take the two babies I'm getting (hopefully Thursday!) if any of them even appear SLIGHTLY unhealthy.

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
Hello! Hope you can get that C&C soon!

Marshmallow is either an American, or a Crested. If she has a crest on her head like Reeses, shes a Crested. If not, and her fur is short and smooth, she is an American. If you post a pigture from the top of Marshmallow so you can see her back and head clearly from the top, we can completely figure out what breed she is, if you want.

Just shoot me a PM, or mention me when you post the pic, or if you have any questions!

Aislinn

Cavy Slave
@Tablo Cool, cool C: I hope you get them soon! I know Nico will be happy CCC:

@NarwhalsRock That'd be great! I'll definitely do that C: She has no crest, but I wasn't sure if they're there from the beginning, or if they grow in when the piggy gets older.

DSCN3205.jpg
Here is Mallow from the top. :) She struck a pose! :p

Tablo

Cavy Slave
He just made a mess of his cage. ;___;

She looks like a roasted marshmallow! <333

Aislinn

Cavy Slave
Awe. :C Why for he do that?! What'd he do?

I knowwww. That's why we decided on Marshmallow! My sister commented that she looked like a roasted marshmallow, and I was like, .....THAT'S A PERFECT NAME ESDRNHRYVSFV <333333333

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
Then he's an American!

Aislinn

Cavy Slave
@NarwhalsRock Thanks! Though, I have a question. :) Do American's normally have 'hair' [a thin whisker], on the outsides of their eyes? Reeses doesn't have them, but Mallow does. I thought it looked really unique, because I've never seen a piggy with that, before!

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
Yeah, both my American and White Crested have the eye whiskers, but more so on Chloe, my American... It must be a genetic thing with the breed... I have no idea about Reeses. I'll check Emma, my White Crested to see if she has them too, but I'm 99% sure she does...

(In case you were confused, White Crested and Crested are the same breed. Just different names...)

Aislinn

Cavy Slave
Aah, okay C: I wasn't sure. They actually come out of the SIDES of her eyes, though, and she also has some above her eyes, as eyebrows. I have never seen any piggies with whiskers on their sides of their eyes, and I've taken care of a few, before. But, I've also not seen a TON of piggies, so I suppose I couldn't rightly say, lol. C:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.