Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Plywood?

CavySlave10

Cavy Slave
No one sells coroplast in my area, and I'd like to start on my new c&c cage for the two brothers I plan to adopt by September.

Would plywood work as a good alternative? It will be thin with all of the normal requirements for two piggies.

If not, what other alternative do you recommend?​

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Absolutely 100% not. What area are you in? Colorado has a lot of suppliers of Coroplast.

Here are 45 listings of Coro suppliers in your state:
Coroplast Sources

coconutty78

Cavy Slave
You could still do a cage using grids just no bottom except everything that will absorb the waste. I have seen this free run method work good as well. You can lay a thick tarp down then puppy pads with either uhaul pads or towels then the fleece and just build the grids around it. I have also seen some people lay down shower curtain first as well. Its easier and less work.:)

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave
I have a cage made of wood and in all honesty, I wish I just stuck with the coro and grids.

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I would stick with grids. They allow ventilation which plywood does not. If you can't find coro there are many alternatives.

CavySlave10

Cavy Slave
Of course I'll be using grids! I'm talking about as a base. It's just that no one in my area supplies coroplast. I've gone to the surrounding counties and cities, and still no luck.

@CavySpirit: I live near Denver. I don't want to drive more than 30 minutes to find a store, though. I'll take a look at that link.

I'll most likely use fleece as a bedding, the Carefresh I had for my other pigs was too messy.

@Coconutty: Thank you. :) I'm not sure if my mother would be too happy with that, but I'll see if I can look into it.

@MommmyOf2: Thank you, that's what I wanted to hear. :)

@ellisa: Such as?

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave
No problem at all. Other alternatives can be, shower curtains, table clothes(as long as both sides are plastic), Rubber maid or sterilite containers(which require cutting some sides off).

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I have a wooden cage. I used linoleum on the bottom of my cage, laid just like a floor with glue, to keep the urine off the wood. The problem with wood is when the guinea pigs pee on it it will get smelly and the smell will stay in the wood unless the wood is protected. If you are still planning on using grids like in a C&C You might be interested in using cardboard wrapped in a shower curtain or just linoleum.

CavySlave10

Cavy Slave
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/about-cages/8067-how-build-alternative-c-c-type-cage.html

^ This is what I plan on doing, only using grids instead of a cage topping.

[MENTION=23587]mommmyof2[/MENTION]: Thanks again. :) The shower curtain seems to be my best bet.

[MENTION=19358]Inle_Rabbit[/MENTION]: Thank you for understanding what I'm talking about! :) Oh, I didn't think about the wood and urine.... So can I just line my wood with a curtain, then put my fleece down?

Roo99

Cavy Slave
I definitely do NOT recommend Sterilite containers as cages. Even with the sides cut off for ventilation, you would be dealing with a sharp surface where the cut was made. You would also be hard-pressed to find an affordable Sterilite container that is large enough for the base of the cage. Way too much trouble altogether-- aim for something else.

You can order coroplast on the internet if you are willing to have it shipped- Guinea Pig Zone will cut and score cage bases for you. If you are not willing to order online, I would not suggest wood. It is a lot of trouble to prepare for piggies safely. I would recommend a shower curtain if you cannot find coroplast.

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
@Inle_Rabbit : Thank you for understanding what I'm talking about! :) Oh, I didn't think about the wood and urine.... So can I just line my wood with a curtain, then put my fleece down?

I have seen a cage that uses a shower curtain and wood. This is it. Look through all the pictures. Or you can get linoleum scraps generally for free from flooring stores. Homedepot and Lowes will not give them away for free.

mariatito Gallery - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

This is my cage: https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=26087

I also saw a cute cage that was similar to your example, I think they used linoleum though. I'll have to see if I can find the picture later. I'm pressed for time right now.

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
This was the cage I was thinking of but now that I see it they used Coroplast as the bottom. Still looks awesome. The wood on my cage only comes up an inch and a half above the floor and it still keeps in all the poo if you use fleece. It will not keep in wood shavings. So this might work with a linoleum floor. Put the linoleum floor in before you put the grids on the edge. Staple the grids into place with heavy duty wood staples.

Our New cage! - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

katherine.l

Cavy Slave
I had the same trouble I could not find corrugated plastic ANYWHERE. The only place I did find it would have cost me literally $200 for a sheet. Which is just crazy. So, I got crafty and did this.

I bougt a 8 foot by 10 foot tarp and folded it up to fit inside of my grids. I flattened out the bottom, and I ziptied it all the way around on the top and the bottom. I bought the heavy duty tarp for $10 at a local store. It so far works FANTASTIC. It is durable, mildew resistant, waterproof. Does not leak at all. And my guinea pig is very very happy with her cage.

This is a cheap alternative and it works for me. It works way better than the shower curtain idea for sure! I tried that and my guinea would take and poop so far in the corner that it was outside of the cage. It was a hassle.

Anyway, if you are interested in the idea I have listed, I can email you upclose photos and step by step directions!

Good luck!
DSCN6517.jpg

Dahlia

Cavy Slave
plywood is splintery.........................just sayin............................................

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
plywood is splintery.........................just sayin............................................

Compressed particle board is splintery, a good grade plywood should not be. Sanding any edges should take care of any rough spots as well but that should be done regardless of the type of wood used.

I forgot to mention this earlier but use 3/4 inch plywood when/if you make your cage. It will be less likely to bend. I used 3/4 inch and my cage is so strong I can stand on it without it bowing.

Dahlia

Cavy Slave
Compressed particle board is splintery, a good grade plywood should not be. Sanding any edges should take care of any rough spots as well but that should be done regardless of the type of wood used.

I forgot to mention this earlier but use 3/4 inch plywood when/if you make your cage. It will be less likely to bend. I used 3/4 inch and my cage is so strong I can stand on it without it bowing.
i didnt know that. my past experiences with plywood have been splintery:eek:

pinky

Cavy Slave
Call your local political headquarters. They make their signs out of coroplast and get rid of them after elections..... 30 minutes isn't far to drive for coroplast. If you buy a large piece, ask them to roll and tape it so you can fit it in your car. The place I get mine from is about a 30 minute drive for me. I'd drive further if I had to since it's really the best material to use as a base.... I would not use wood. Even if you seal it, urine will degrade the finish.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Here's a thought. What about making a wood base, and stapling a shower curtain onto it, to water proof it? Any urine would stay away from the wood, and it would still be a strong base. You could even use a tarp or two, and I would think that would be very waterproofed. You would have to cover the whole inner surface obviously.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.