PDA

View Full Version : Cage Wooden hutch indoors?

newpiggiemummy
08-10-12, 11:55 am
Hi everyone!! I'm Estelle, and I'm a proud new owner of 3 female guinea pigs called Fudge, Crumble and Cookie who came into our lives yesterday! I had been thinking for some time now of getting 2 guinea pigs for my 12 year old and 7 year old kids, but hadn't been thinking of getting them until late next month.
However, a family in our street had to move suddenly yesterday, and they asked if we could take on their approximately 6 month old piggies, to which I couldn't say no.

The cage they came in is a Ferplast Rabbit 100

Rabbit 100 Guinea Pig and Dwarf Rabbit Cage by Ferplast | Pets at Home (http://www.petsathome.com/shop/rabbit-100-guinea-pig-and-dwarf-rabbit-cage-by-ferplast-37559)

which is much too small for three piggies. I don't know the exact age of them, but they are around 6 months old....I can only presume that they will therefore grow even bigger than they are now? Anyway, I knew that I would have to get a new cage as soon as possible, so I was first looking at the two tier version of the cage they have at the moment, but I'm still not sure if that would be big enough for them either.

The guinea pigs are going to be kept indoors, but I would like to know if it would be okay to buy a wooden hutch to keep them in in my living room? I came across this gorgeous wooden hutch online, which looks extremely spacious, reasonably priced, as well as very nice to look at:

Summer Lodge Double Hutch by Sharples N Grant (Available in Store Only) | Pets at Home (http://www.petsathome.com/shop/summer-lodge-double-hutch-by-sharples-n-grant-(available-in-store-only)-38775)

Do you think this is a good size for keeping three guinea pigs safe and happy? All comments would be very welcome, as I plan to buy the new cage/hutch on Monday :)

Thanks in advance!

(http://www.petsathome.com/shop/summer-lodge-double-hutch-by-sharples-n-grant-(available-in-store-only)-38775)

lissie
08-10-12, 12:05 pm
Welcome to the site. While I think it's fine to keep a hutch indoors, that hutch you linked to is not big enough for 3 pigs. The floor space is only 8 sq.ft. For 3 pigs, the recommended size is 13 sq.ft.
Multiple levels do not count towards square footage as guinea pigs need space to run laps.

Would you be interested in building them a C&C cage? There are some sources in UK to buy supplies.

Ginislave42
08-10-12, 12:09 pm
Hello Estelle,
Congrats on your new Girls. i took a look at the hutch. It looks very spacious for 3 pigs. Are they Staying indoors in the hutch? If it also helps, I am looking into building a cage for my two boys from scratch. So far it is sooo much cheaper. Depending on what you are using for bedding, maybe something easier to clean?

newpiggiemummy
08-10-12, 12:12 pm
Hi Lissie, and thanks for your quick reply! I have certainly researched into C&C cages and have found some links for supplies, but I have quite a small living room, and just do not have the floor space to make a really big cage. They will be getting time out of their cage every day though to have a good run about though.

newpiggiemummy
08-10-12, 12:15 pm
Hello Estelle,
Congrats on your new Girls. i took a look at the hutch. It looks very spacious for 3 pigs. Are they Staying indoors in the hutch? If it also helps, I am looking into building a cage for my two boys from scratch. So far it is sooo much cheaper. Depending on what you are using for bedding, maybe something easier to clean?
Hi Ginislave42! Yes, they will be staying indoors....I feel it is important for them to be a part of the family, and therefore being around the family at all times, especially since this is such new surroundings for them. As for the bedding, the cage we got them in has wood shavings in it, but I am planning to put fleece as bedding in the new cage when we get it, because not only does it look so much cosier for them, but as you mentioned, so much easier to clean too!! :)

Ginislave42
08-10-12, 12:20 pm
The girls will love you for the fleece!! my pigs love towels too. congrats again!:)

bpatters
08-10-12, 12:45 pm
It's only eight square feet per level, and the ramp from one level to another will take away from that room. The ramp will have to be fairly steep because it's only 4 feet wide. That's not much room for three guinea pigs.

The other problem with wooden hutches inside is that inevitably urine soaks into them and they start to stink, unless you've done an over-the-top waterproofing job.

You're to be commended for keeping them indoors, but I'd keep looking for housing solutions. Check through the Photo Galleries -- there are thousands of pictures of cages there, in every possible configuration.