Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

2 x 3 bunny cage...

donna4909

Cavy Slave
I will soon be adopting a Himalayan rabbit, and I have been browsing through the posts and galleries here.

Everyone keeps saying that a 2 x 3 (28" x 42") cube cage is too small for a bunny, but the shelter told me that it would be a great cage for him. I already have the cage set up and ready for him. So why the conflicting opinions? Almost every other site I've been to says 2 x 3 is suitable for a small bunny.

Also, this bunny is a singleton. The shelter has tried multiple introductions for him, and decided it would be best for him to live on his own.

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
I think a 2x3 will be a perfect size for a small rabbit as long as he could have some levels. Try making a three leveled cage. They don't really need ramps as they like to jump about! Congrats on getting a rabbit! They are absoloutly adorable!

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
I have used a 2x3 cage for a bun also make it at least 2 high too cause they can jump. I will be getting a new bun soon. A flemish giant rabbit and they weigh up to 40lbs. I am doing a 2x4 cage and 3high. This bun is mostly gonna be living out of the cage and only be in the cage at night or out of the house.

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
I think a 2 x 3 would be good, it is much bigger than any pet store cage; and I think he would love to have at least one upper level. Just make sure to let him out for exercise everyday.

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
AngelsCavies said:
I have used a 2x3 cage for a bun also make it at least 2 high too cause they can jump. I will be getting a new bun soon. A flemish giant rabbit and they weigh up to 40lbs. I am doing a 2x4 cage and 3high. This bun is mostly gonna be living out of the cage and only be in the cage at night or out of the house.

A 2x4 is waayyyy too small for a rabbit that size.

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
Instead of making multiple levels for a flemish giant, I think you should attach a puppy exercise pen to the condo. Flemish giants are large rabbits, but they still have the same skeletal system of a smaller rabbit. I would be worried that he might injure himself if he jumps down too far.

amfeider

Cavy Slave
RubyPiggie2 said:
A 2x4 is waayyyy too small for a rabbit that size.

She said it would be free range during the day that is only at night.

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
Oh okay, I didn't catch that. Thanks.

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
Not a prob at all. I was supposed to get one sometime this fall. Well least did not expected but I am getting her next week. She is a fawn color and it will be 9 hrs round trip. I am going with my friend because she is picking up 2 female flemish giants too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.