PDA

View Full Version : Adopted young sow, and she is pregnant.

Captivate21
08-09-12, 01:47 pm
My family adopted a 6 week old female tri-color smooth coat in July. "Cookie" She has been growing round the last 2 weeks. Yesterday when I gave her a bath, I could definitely tell she was pregnant. Later on last night when I was holding her, I could see some baby kicks on the right side. Is it normal that sometimes one side is bigger than the other side? Her nipples seem to be more elongated as of last week. She is not huge, but definitely pregnant. I had guinea pigs when I was a older child, and I am not new to them. (Married with children now) She weighs 1 lb. as of 2 days ago. She has absolutely the best personality ever! Does anyone know when her due date could be expected? I will try and post pictures of her later on today.

Captivate21
08-09-12, 02:27 pm
Thanks for your reply. How many babies did your sow have? Did she get huge the last few weeks?

Captivate21
08-09-12, 02:36 pm
32240Bathtime yesterday. Definite big bulge on one side, smaller bulge on the other.

schavarry
08-09-12, 03:08 pm
My family adopted a 6 week old female tri-color smooth coat in July. "Cookie" She has been growing round the last 2 weeks. Yesterday when I gave her a bath, I could definitely tell she was pregnant. Later on last night when I was holding her, I could see some baby kicks on the right side. Is it normal that sometimes one side is bigger than the other side? Her nipples seem to be more elongated as of last week. She is not huge, but definitely pregnant. I had guinea pigs when I was a older child, and I am not new to them. (Married with children now) She weighs 1 lb. as of 2 days ago. She has absolutely the best personality ever! Does anyone know when her due date could be expected? I will try and post pictures of her later on today.

Wow, if she was only 6 weeks old when you got her, she got pregnant really young! Gestation period is generally 59-73 days. So she should have her babies within 73 days from when you got her, (at the very latest!)

Cookie obviously got pregnant at a very young age, and to prevent back breeding you'll need to separate the boy pups from her at 3 weeks of age. Are you feeding her alfalfa hay?

Please baby proof your cage as mommmyof2 mentioned, the cage should stay baby proofed until all of the piggies are big enough their head won't fit through the grids. I think 5-6 months is the suggested time frame but I don't remember for sure and I can't find it right now.

Good luck with the babies! Cookie is adorable :)

Captivate21
08-09-12, 03:38 pm
3225732258These were taken after yesterday's bath. I think we are fine with the cage we have and babies. I do not have alfalfa, but I can definitely pick some up. I have been feeding premium timothy hay and some orchard grass. She also usually gets outdoor grass time every other day. She also eats the pellets, and has fruit and vegetable treats throughout the day.

bpatters
08-09-12, 03:51 pm
She doesn't need alfalfa hay as long as she's getting unlimited alfalfa pellets. The timothy and orchard grass are fine.

mufasa
08-09-12, 03:53 pm
What a cutie! Do you have any idea when she might first have been exposed to a male? Knowing how guinea pigs breed, it's likely she got pregnant very quickly...only delay would have been the time it took for her to go into heat. She's such a tiny thing. Hard to imagine a baby producing babies! I hope all goes well.

Captivate21
08-09-12, 04:05 pm
I did not know babies could breed that early initially. I learned this after researching on my own when she started looking bigger. When I picked her up they mentioned she had been with the parents. Also, that she had a brother and sister that had already been adopted out. So should I assume she was probably impregnated at around 4 weeks?

Captivate21
08-09-12, 05:54 pm
I believe she was born May 19th or 20th, and that would make her 11 weeks 4 days I think.

schavarry
08-09-12, 06:48 pm
What type of cage is Cookie in? If it's not a C&C then you may not need to baby proof it.

Are the pellets you're feeding Cookie alfalfa or timothy based? They don't have the seeds and colored junk in there do they?

Captivate21
08-09-12, 07:06 pm
No, it is just the plain green pellets. I am not sure what a C&C cage is, but I do not see anywhere the babies could get stuck. It has the lower raised sides. We have a second level without a ramp because Cookie easily jumps up there to eat.

mommmyof2
08-09-12, 07:12 pm
No, it is just the plain green pellets. I am not sure what a C&C cage is, but I do not see anywhere the babies could get stuck. It has the lower raised sides. We have a second level without a ramp because Cookie easily jumps up there to eat.

Can you post a picture of your cage?

Captivate21
08-09-12, 07:25 pm
I cannot tonight, but I put up the link when I registered on this site. We altered the cage in the picture a bit. We took out the ramp, hanging toy, and treat dispenser. I can try to put one up tomorrow.

mommmyof2
08-09-12, 07:58 pm
I cannot tonight, but I put up the link when I registered on this site. We altered the cage in the picture a bit. We took out the ramp, hanging toy, and treat dispenser. I can try to put one up tomorrow.

Oh ok no problem

schavarry
08-09-12, 08:04 pm
After seeing your cage (Super Pet Large Treat Pet-n-Play Habitat Guinea Pig Cage at PETCO (http://www.petco.com/product/114062/Super-Pet-Large-Treat-Pet-n-Play-Habitat-Guinea-Pig-Cage.aspx?cm)) I understand why you say you don't need to baby proof your cage. Honestly this cage isn't big enough for your one guinea pig, let alone the babies she will be having.

If you still have the original bag the pellets came in I'd check to be sure alfalfa is one of the top ingredients, you can also supplement calcium through parsley, carrot tops, or other veggies which are high in calcium found on here: http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/diet-nutrition/22156-read-me-cavy-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html

If you keep her food on the top level I suggest you put the ramp back in, for two reasons: 1- it will be harder for her to jump as her pregnancy progresses, 2- you don't want her to hurt her self or the babies by jumping (if she misses the ledge due to the extra pregnancy weight). Also, you'll want the ramp in there so the babies can get to the food once their born.

Captivate21
08-09-12, 10:21 pm
To be honest with you, my guinea pig gets daily out of cage time to explore and be held. She also is taken outside just about every other day in a larger area. This cage is not much smaller than what is recommended, plus we do not lose space by having the ramp in there. I do plan on bringing her food down as soon as I see it is needed. The shelf it not high up. She gets up there effortlessly. She is still little, and maybe when I see she needs more space we can upgrade. I'm not opposed, I just do not see a reason right now considering she has a lot of other activities outside of her cage and room in her cage. She has a very large area of my house (a small room) that she plays in everyday. I love her.
I did look at the green pellets and saw that alfalfa meal is the 2nd ingredient listed. Thanks for the link to the other foods needed.

Captivate21
08-10-12, 01:57 pm
This was taken last night when I was bringing her in from outside. See how she has a lump on the right side? Does this mean there is probably only one? Or should I check for movement on both sides? Would you be able to see one baby on both sides, or would two have to be causing the movement. I am also going to weigh her in a few minutes.

RodentCuddles
08-10-12, 03:30 pm
The thing is that guinea pigs don't exercise when you want them too, that is why a good size cage is recommended, they exercise on their own time I hope you sometime that you will begin to see and understand that a biggear cage will enrich your guinea pigs life a lot as it is what she'll live her life in, I'm sure you love her but understand she is living and you want to give her the best life that you can.

*I did thisboff my phone so sorry for any horrible spelling mistakes or if something makes no sense (:

Captivate21
08-10-12, 04:11 pm
I understand what you are saying, and I am not opposed to a bigger cage. I just do not feel it necessary yet, but I do think it will be needed in the near future. May I ask again what is the big thing with C&C cages? Is this new to the life of guinea pigs? Is it easy to clean?

RodentCuddles
08-10-12, 04:21 pm
I understand what you are saying, and I am not opposed to a bigger cage. I just do not feel it necessary yet, but I do think it will be needed in the near future. May I ask again what is the big thing with C&C cages? Is this new to the life of guinea pigs? Is it easy to clean?

I love c&c cages because they're cheap and I can make my cages any share or way I like, I find they are very easy to clean but It dependsd on the setup you decide on. If can't find the materials you could try and make a cage out of other materials. (:

But it's all up to you what she lives in in the end, you have lots of support here if you need any help finding materials.

Zuidy
08-10-12, 04:37 pm

There are millions of posts here about the glory of C&C cages, I'm sure. Check the homepage of this site, Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home (http://www.guineapigcages.com) for the nitty-gritty on making one and advantages to them.

In my personal experience, here are MY answers to your questions:

1: What is the big thing with them?

Well, everything. They provide enough space for Guinea Pigs to happily roam around, and can be made to fit anybody's living arrangements. They keep Guinea Pigs from becoming overweight because, with proper nutrition, they provide exercise-able areas for the Pigs to run. You will see a tenfold improvement in the way your Pig acts.

2: Is it new to the Guinea Pig?

Yes, most new. This website has been around for just more than a mere decade. I wish I could pinpoint EXACTLY when this all started, what, with C&C cages and the like. But the copyright on this website is 2000, so I am assuming C&C cages started then. The materials have been around for ages. The cages are fairly new to pigs, and I can guarantee nobody would give a thought about a cage of this size before the year this website was created.

3: Is it easy to clean?

Absolutely. Their are many different options out there for bedding. The most popular, and still growing in popularity, appears to be Fleece. People take Fleece, and 2 layers of a few choices of absorbent material (recycled denim "U-Haul Pads" , Puppy Pads, beach towels) and sew 2 of them to the Fleece. We call them Fleece "Liners", and the most popular choice is a U-Haul Pad and Fleece combo. There should be a U-Haul store somewhere in your area, Los Angeles. You can get them for about $7 a piece, and you should only need 1 pad which could make you about 2 liners in all. Liners make cage cleaning easy because with everything sewn together, you take the liners out, throw them in the washing machine, and put fresh ones down. It can take less than half an hour depending on what you need to clean in their cage. (this is the bare bones info on Liners, the Bedding section is a proper place to get more thorough answers)

___

Hope I helped!

;)

Captivate21
08-11-12, 03:38 pm
Thanks! This definitely helps me understand and want to try them when I get some extra time.

Captivate21
08-23-12, 04:38 pm
Well I think we are getting really close. Cookie for the most part, lays around all day. If it's quiet, I can hear her babies making noises with their teeth. They make such big movements now. I've even been waking up at night to check on her. I cannot tell if her pelvis is opened up. I think it feels like maybe a quarter of an inch. 3305133052
I bought some fleece for her cage and cut it today. I am not sure where a UHaul is to buy the pads. I went to Costco and tried to start looking at the grids for a C&C cage, but they did not have anything like that. These pictures were taken a few days ago. I'll try to post something newer in a little while.

mommmyof2
08-23-12, 04:51 pm
She is so pretty. The uhaul pads you can get from like the uhaul moving company. And try craigslist or ebay for the grids. Bed, bath and beyond, walmart, amazon also have grids. Check them out. I hope this helps.

Oh and if you hear the babies chattering their teeth, the birth of them is probably only days away. Good luck

Captivate21
08-23-12, 04:56 pm
The first two pictures were from today. The third is from probably more than a week ago. It's just one of my favorites!

Captivate21
08-23-12, 04:57 pm
Thank you. I had not thought of Walmart. I will try there next.

mommmyof2
08-23-12, 05:17 pm
Thank you. I had not thought of Walmart. I will try there next.

You're welcome. If you cant get the grids, Try using the shelving that you would use in you closets. Those work too

Captivate21
08-23-12, 05:34 pm
I checked Walmart, and they do not have any at our Walmart only Online.

mommmyof2
08-23-12, 05:45 pm
Oh ok. SO check ebay, amazon and bed,bath and beyond

BedfordCavies
08-23-12, 05:56 pm
White Storage Cubes-7071-1723 at The Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/Storage-Organization/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5yc1vZas7e/R-202866073/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=rubbermaid+storage+cubes&storeId=10051#.UDbCtdaPVbs<br /><br />T)

Try Home Depot. That's where I get mine. :)

bpatters
08-23-12, 06:01 pm
Captivate21, if you order them online at Walmart, they'll ship them to the store of your choice for free, so there's no cost difference for ordering.

schavarry
08-23-12, 06:30 pm
Try Sears (http://www.sears.com/stor-floor-standing-6-cube-storage-unit/p-00913332000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1)! They have more grids for your money!! And if you're still not sure where a U-haul store is... Use this: U-Haul: Moving supplies: Furniture Pad (http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Protective-stuff/Furniture-Pad?id=2670) and select "pick up in store". Once you type in your zip code it'll tell you the closest U-haul store that actually has the pads (some don't carry them).

PS. The type of pad in the link is the kind you want, don't buy the more expensive one because it doesn't work as well!

Adrianne89
08-23-12, 06:33 pm
I thought when I bought my cage 31 X 17.5 inches that is was big enough nearly the size they mention.. but because the bottom is tapered you are actually losing 3 inches or so.... so your cage probably has only about 3.3 feet of space instead of the 7.5 feet of space recommended on this site. My cage is now incorporated into my new C&C cage that gives my little guy 10 feet of total space to live and run around in.

Captivate21
08-24-12, 04:47 pm
Try Sears (http://www.sears.com/stor-floor-standing-6-cube-storage-unit/p-00913332000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1)! They have more grids for your money!! And if you're still not sure where a U-haul store is... Use this: U-Haul: Moving supplies: Furniture Pad (http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Protective-stuff/Furniture-Pad?id=2670) and select "pick up in store". Once you type in your zip code it'll tell you the closest U-haul store that actually has the pads (some don't carry them).

PS. The type of pad in the link is the kind you want, don't buy the more expensive one because it doesn't work as well!

Yeah! I did what you said and picked up it up today. Okay, so should I sew 2 layers of the furniture pad into the middle of fleece? Does this work okay when washing?

Captivate21
08-24-12, 04:48 pm
Cookie looks great today. She is weighing in at 2lbs. When checking her pelvis am I checking under/front of her private place? or behind her private place on her bottom? I read two different things today and am not sure now.

Captivate21
08-26-12, 12:12 am
I made a hanging bed today for Cookie. I found a pattern on this site, but did not have that much fabric so I had to adjust accordingly. I threw in a Uhaul furniture pad at the bottom to stabilize it and then filled it with polyfil on top for cushioning. It turned out bigger than I expected, but Cookie is still young. It hangs nicely in her cage. It's so cute, and she doesn't want to come out! No babies yet!

NorthernLight
08-26-12, 01:53 am
Captivate21, I just read the whole thread and am so thrilled you went from "Eh, my cage is fine." to "I'm a C&C cage believer!" Mama Cookie and her babies will be so happy with all the room, plus C&C cages are very reasonably priced to make and easier to clean than pet store cages. I can't wait for more photos of Cookie, and the first few of her babies! BTW, I agree- the photo of Cookie draped over you on her side is adorable!

angie901
08-26-12, 07:47 am
32240Bathtime yesterday. Definite big bulge on one side, smaller bulge on the other.

aww! she looks like a sweetheart!

angie901
08-26-12, 08:12 am
I am glad that you are choosing to give cookie a c&c cage. Here on gpc we are obsessed with c&c cages and want our piggies to have the best life possible. I have a pregnant sow ready to give birth any day now and I am just waiting. I thought she would have had them by now. But no. I can't wait to see your babies! hopefully our piggies will give birth around the same time. And by the way, your girl cookie looks so cute. she sounds and looks like a sweetheart too. I would love to scoop her up and give her kisses :lovestruc :hug: :heart: :love: lol!!!

Captivate21
08-26-12, 02:12 pm
I am glad that you are choosing to give cookie a c&c cage. Here on gpc we are obsessed with c&c cages and want our piggies to have the best life possible. I have a pregnant sow ready to give birth any day now and I am just waiting. I thought she would have had them by now. But no. I can't wait to see your babies! hopefully our piggies will give birth around the same time. And by the way, your girl cookie looks so cute. she sounds and looks like a sweetheart too. I would love to scoop her up and give her kisses :lovestruc :hug: :heart: :love: lol!!!
Oh do keep in touch. It would be exciting to see who goes first. What is your piggy's name? How many babies do you think? Let me know.

suzilovespiggie
08-26-12, 02:29 pm
Captivate21, as you are getting ready for the birth, one thing to have on hand is a good exotic vet. Just in case you would have need of one. An exotic vet is one who will have more knowledge thand a cat and dog vet.
Your Cookie is a beatiful pig. Looking forward to seeing her babies. We are here for you. Any questions you have feel free to ask.

angie901
08-26-12, 04:41 pm
Oh do keep in touch. It would be exciting to see who goes first. What is your piggy's name? How many babies do you think? Let me know.

Okay I will keep in touch. Yeah I have had 3 people who I thought my pregnant pig Momi would have their pups close together. But she is still pregnant. Yeah I don't know who could go first. It could be anywhere around 2 to 4. Maybe even 5. But I am not sure. I will let you know. My pig could probably go first because I have been waiting for a little over the time she was supposed to have them so any day now. But I don't know. Cookie could have them first. It's just a matter of waiting now. I hope your girl goes first so that would mean momi would have her pups soon.