Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast base question

M

Muttster

Coroplast base question

I'm getting ready to cut and shape the coroplast bottom for my 1st cube cage. All the pictures I've seen show that the bottom and sidewalls fit inside the cube walls. Any reason why I can't or shouldn't cut the bottom a couple of inches larger and have the walls on the outside of the grid walls?

K

KarasKavies

Re: Coroplast base question

It would work either way. I think we mostly put the coroplast inside to keep the grids from getting pee and poop on them. I have put up a cage divider before to sepsarte it into to halves. I did this to separate male babies from their mama. Anyway, they did get pee on the grids and it caused them to rust and get yucky. The grids are also hard to clean. Also, to clean the cage, you would have to take the entire grid part out. Where would you put it? Just my thoughts! BUT... I don't see any reason why it would not work that way. It would give the piggies more room!

Kara

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave

It will work, it will just be a huge bear to clean. One lady I know did that. I haven't heard back from her on her cage cleaning experience. Part of the beauty of the design you see is the ease of cleaning. I keep that in mind when I'm coming up with little variations on the theme. It's easy to get carried away until you have to clean it! :)

O

originalfirefly

I did that! All I can say is DON'T! We redid the cage b/c it was such a mess! Yuck yuck yuck yuck. Our new cage is so much easier to clean with the cubes on the outside.

When the cubes were on the inside, we would take the cubes off, and litter would go everywhere. It would also get stuck to the bottom of the cubes esp in the corners where my piggies did their business. It was just gross and much messier than needs be. We also didn't put a little door the coroplast. I recommend that too. Our new cage is SOOOOOOOO much easier to clean with the cubes on the outside and the little door! Man, I put myself through a lot more work than needs be!

That is my two cents. :)

Miriam

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave

Yeah, part of the whole thing that prompted the design of the cubes and coroplast for me was the way you have to clean the super pet cages. Those cages also have the wire on the inside. You have to lift the wire off of and out of the base to clean it. What a mess! Even with those little cages. Always leaves a bedding trail with poops no matter what you do. And the bottom part of the wires can get really gross.

It would take me longer to clean the little (supposedly big but not) super pet cage than it does to clean a cubes and coroplast cage three times the size! :)

O

originalfirefly

All I can say is live and learn. A lot of it had to do with the fact that hubby wanted to make a larger cage, that looked just like our tiny cage. I never could get him to look at guineapigcages.com. He is one of those type of guys who likes to figure things out himself. Nonetheless, I FINALLY have a new cage closer to the what I wanted. Still not extactly what I wanted, but it works MUCH better. And it keeps the puppy out, so that is even better. I have pics, just need to scan them....oh, and I guess develop them! :evil: My little web cam just doesn't have a long enough cord.

Oh, sorry for rambling. :)

Miriam

M

Muttster

Thanks for all the feedback. Per your suggestions, I recut the coroplast to fit inside the cube panels. Let me tell you, having a Dremel tool to cut off the excess plastic on those panel connectors made fitting the coroplast box a lot easier. It also allowed me to cut and size the panel pieces to make a second tier in the "condo", a ramp, and a hay bin.

Thanks again.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave

hmmmmm, I may have to add that to my collection. Although I'm pretty happy with the fact that no power tools are required to build these cages! But, remodeling and enhancements, that's another story!! :)

Attachments

http---makeagif.com--media-12-15-2014-Cfc8S2.jpg photo 3.jpg photo 2.jpg photo 1 (1).jpg photo (4).JPG image.jpg photo 4.jpg
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.