Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Cavy Cage Conundrum

sophiespigs

Cavy Slave
Hi!
I have been looking at the c&c cages for awile and I was hoping for some help deciding on one. Cost is not a concern, i can babysit to earn the money and I just want the best for Biggie. I would like a cage that is pretty big, even though I only have one guinea pig, I am hoping to add at least one other pig to my family. It will be kept on my bedroom floor. I do have a dog, but he isnt one to eat my piggy and I usually shut the door anyways. I want a cage that i can add alot of fun thing to. I want biggie to always have something to do, even when shes not out of his cage. I would also like to know how I can maintain the cleanliness of the fleece in the bottom of the cage. It stinks alot less than bedding, but I'm not sure how often to clean it, or if there is a way to control where my piggie leaves her little droppings. Thanks!:)

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
@sophianoelle, if money is no concern, get the biggest cage that you can fit. A pigs cage is never too big! If you get a friend for Biggie, a big cage will be great, as the two will fight much less often if they have the option to get away from the other to relax... Putting things like hay racks, hideys, bowls, and water bottles are great ways to keep fighting to a minimum if you decide to get Biggie a friend in the near future!

As for fleece, spot clean twice a day with a mini dustpan and bush or hand held vacuum. Every 7 days or so, shake out the hay, hair, and poo from the week (the poo should be from just that day) and throw it in the washing machine with 3/4 cup of white vinegar. Some people have litter trained their piggies, but it's not like a cat who will EVERY TIME, FOREVER AND ALWAYS go in the litter box. Most litter trained piggies will make about 85% to 95% of their poos in the specified area. I don't know much about it, so some research might be in your future... :)

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Mesure your space, and even rearrange if you can to create the biggest space possible. Once you have dimensions figuire out how big the cage can be. Remember eat grid is 14 inches big plus conector space.

coconutty78

Cavy Slave
I agree if money is not a concern then try to go as large as you can without it overwhelming your space. Also if your wanting to add a lot of fun features than you do need even more space to accomodate that and the pig/piggies eventually. I spot clean 2x a day as well. I find washing the fleece and towels or whatever you choose to line your cage with is very easy and cost effective. Most of my fleece came from the local dollar store. I have one of my piggies fully litter trained and the other pees in the litter, but still poops around the cage, but no big deal its easy to pick up. This is how our cage is set up and this is for 2 piggies. Hope this helps for your own ideas. 018.jpg Good luck:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.