Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How do I dry my own timothy hay??

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
I found a pretty big field of timothy hay behind my house and I was wondering what the best way to dry it for the winter is without it rotting? Should I place it in bundles (can't make bails)? Also, is it ok to just give piggies completely fresh hay for the summer, or do they need the dried stuff for their teeth??

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
You can give the piggies the fresh timmy in addition to their hay. They need the hay for the extra fiber content and it's chewier to wear down their teeth. Usually to dry grass you just cut it and leave it on the ground for a couple days or so, (depends on weather, humidity, etc.) until it's dry, then just store it in a cardboard box or something. Before you cut it and lay it to dry though, make sure the forecast doesn't call for any rain for 2-3 days and turn the hay over about 1/2 way through the drying process. Properly stored hay can stay good for many months. I used to work in hay fields.

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
So will I still need to give them their usually hay all winter, or will the fresh stuff be dry enough by them? I do have a bail from last years cut which is quite dry and they are eating that right now, plus the dry stuff, but that bail will probably be gone by september or so.

Katie

Cavy Slave
suzy_99 said:
So will I still need to give them their usually hay all winter, or will the fresh stuff be dry enough by them? I do have a bail from last years cut which is quite dry and they are eating that right now, plus the dry stuff, but that bail will probably be gone by september or so.

Grass only takes a few days to dry and turn into hay. If you cut and bundle enough to last all winter long, then you're set.

laura220

Cavy Slave
That's what I did. I cut a big bundle and it dried in just a couple days but I'm letting it dry some more.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.