Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New parents!

evilove

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone! My husband and I finally rebelled against all the years our parents wouldn't let us have a guinea pig (we're in our mid-30's now!) and adopted two sweet little boys from the animal shelter! We've had them for less than 48 hours and I'm in SO MUCH LOVE!

Charlie Brown is a 1 year old unaltered male with chocolate brown silky short hair. He is such a sweetie and loves to be snuggled and pet on the cheeks. He's quiet and brave, and gently lets his little brother know that all the cozies, tunnels, and toys are his first.

Wild Thing is a 5 month old unaltered male with red and chocolate short hair. He doesn't seem to have been handled much. He is skittish and does not enjoy being picked up or held...yet! In just one day I've gotten him to take food from my hand and had a very short petting session where he didn't try to get away. I think it looks hopeful! He loves his big brother and makes enough noise for the two of them. He is rambunctious and doesn't settle for just turning. He popcorns to switch directions! He is still trying to come to terms with being odd-pig out and rumblestruts whenever he is pushed out of the tunnel or cozy!

They were not housed together prior to coming home with us, but after about an hour of floor time in the bathroom they bonded over cucumbers and hay. I did weeks of research before the adoption, and they exhibited the mild displays of dominance that I expected, but nothing serious. I felt pretty comfortable that they were not going to fight. However, I had a sleepless night, scared of my decision to remove the cage divider, so I got up at 2:30am to check on them. They were snuggled together inside their cozy! They sit in their tunnel nose-to-nose and the younger one makes contented little purrs from time to time.

I hope my husband and I can take the best care of these little guys. They are so precious!

guineapigs2468

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome to the forum ! I'm glad your piggies get along so great. Any questions don't hesitate to ask.

evilove

Cavy Slave
Thank you! They have an appointment with a small animal vet next week, compliments of the humane society! When Charlie Brown has floor time, he sneezes from time to time. I haven't seem him do it in the cage, so I'm wondering if it is a behavior of some kind? They get floor time in the bathroom, and I lay down clean towels, hay and newspaper, along with paper bags, fresh veggies, and their pellets.

shags

Cavy Slave
I adopted my little Shags from the Human Society too!

joyfulnoise

Cavy Slave
Wecome to the forum. Your boys sounds absolutely precious. You will have a wonderful time with your new little family members and I love their names. Share some photos, please. Ask lots of questions if you need to. Everyone on this forum is very eager to be helpful. We are all piggie lovers here :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! And thanks for adopting these little guys.

Momma2000

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! I too am reliving childhood by getting three pigs, one for each of my kids and one for me. My pigs won't be living with me for another two weeks though. I am so happy for you and your little guys!

PeeweesPiggyPalace

Removed
Cavy Gazer
Welcome to the forum!! Sounds like your doing great!

evilove

Cavy Slave
My sweet little boys are really starting to warm up to me! I was snuggling with Wild Thing when Charlie Brown decided he wanted in on the love, too, and tried to crawl into my lap! :) Wild Thing has also started to wheek a lot, especially when he gets his food and hay in the evenings. Charlie Brown is still quiet and a little shy, but such a sweet boy! Can guinea pigs get the hiccups? Wild Thing was drinking a lot of water and started making noises and motions exactly like hiccups!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.