Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Shavings Suggestions on where to buy aspen bedding

Lilathandra

Cavy Slave
I know that some of you are in the Washington State area. I have been trying to find maybe a lawn care service that would sell or give me their wood chips. I have only been able to buy aspen bedding from pet smart as I don't know where else to go. If anyone has any suggestions on where to buy aspen bedding from it would be greatly appreciated. I do not want to support pet stores anymore.

OllieandFriends

Cavy Gazer
Try feed stores, they are usually also cheaper than pet stores. I get mine from the TSC store, where they are less than half the price they are at petsmart.

Lilathandra

Cavy Slave
Thank you @OllieandFriends I was able to find a place today called traidwinds that sold 3 times the ammount I was buying from petsmart for less than $10! I was so excited!

Lilathandra

Cavy Slave
@Kelsie

:) Thank you I will have to check them out the next time I am up that way to see what they have.

pinky

Cavy Slave
You don't want to use wood chips from a lawn service. They're not kiln dried so there's oils in it which would be dangerous for the guinea pigs. Kiln dried pine that's in large flakes is really nice and has less smell than aspen. Just stay away from bags that look like there's a lot of dust. I prefer flaky kiln dried pine over aspen. I find the smell of aspen to be unpleasant.

Lilathandra

Cavy Slave
This is what I ended up buying. (broken link removed) It sounds like it would work well and @pinky I had thought about that before I went out today and opted against it since there are so many things that could end up being bad for them.

pinky

Cavy Slave
This is what I ended up buying. (broken link removed) It sounds like it would work well and @pinky I had thought about that before I went out today and opted against it since there are so many things that could end up being bad for them.

It looks like a great product.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
How much did you pay at Tradewinds? Del's Feed Store sells Gem shavings, too, usually around $7 or $8 a bale. There is a Del's in Puyallup, and one in Auburn off of Hwy 167.

There are also a couple of feed stores just a bit past Parkland.

I use Gem's white shavings in my rescue.

Lilathandra

Cavy Slave
I paid right around 10 for one that expands to 12 cubic ft. The bonus was that it was only a couple miles from where we lived.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.