PDA

View Full Version : Bedding New owner.. Bedding.. help please!

Cholland
07-22-12, 09:29 am
Ok so.. I have 2 girls, and only had them for 2 days, never had Piggies before, but I love them and want to give them the best I can.

Currently I have used just softwood bedding all over the cage floor... the guineas seem to enjoy running around and kicking it about.. and I have done/ will do a mini clean every day.. so they aren't walking around on poop or wet.. though they seem to be very good and almost always go the the toilet in one corner.. but still when I bring them out for a run about, I clear all wet or soiled softwood and hay, and replace it with fresh.. I plan on doing this once a day and then a full on clean out once a week.. is this enough?

I have looked into Fleece for the flooring of their cage.. but I don't have a washing machine in my flat, I use communal ones and I'm only booked in for once a week, so Im afraid this wouldn't work, though I have got a couple of small fleeces and towels for them to cuddle up to.

Also with their hay, I have a rack on the outside of the cage, so they can pull it through, I also put a little handful on the cage floor by the food bowl for them.. and this spreads out across the cage floor as they play.. I'm scared that they will eat the hay on the floor which might have been mixed in with soiled softwood.. I try and make sure to remove it and replace it a few times a day, but I wont be able to do this once Im back at work. I only work part time but I don't want my Piggies getting ill because o this. would it be so bad to just put the hay in the rack for them?

Sorry for nattering on... :crazy:
Please tell me if I'm doing anything wrong or if there's anything that could be better. Many Thanks.

Owned by cavy
07-22-12, 09:39 am
Don't feel bad. This forum is here to answer questions. I wouldn't worry too much about them eating the hay from the bedding. Even if you make it so they have to pull it out to eat it, they are going to throw it on the floor and make a mess with it and eat it. They'll be fine. :) As for the fleece, if that is something that you really want to do, I would make 3 different pieces of fleece to change out. That way, you can change it out 2 times a week and always have one in the cage while the others are in the wash. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. A lot of people prefer softwood bedding or carefresh to the fleece anyhow. You're doing great with the way you're cleaning things up, so I'm sure that your piggies think you are awesome. Good job!

doglaurasmudge
07-24-12, 10:00 am
I havent got my piggies yet and this is my first time, but I am going to be using newspaper ;)

Elthysia
07-24-12, 10:37 am
Against hay spreading you can use a low edged tray which they can hop (or have a little ramp) in and out of without spreading it everywhere. I haven't got a picture on hand but most of the cage pictures on this side have a hay/soil tray.

I personally love care fresh in the eat/sleep area but it would be too expensive for a big cage so I use fleece for the run/play area of the cage. However, if you have the money care fresh is looooovely :)

Zuidy
07-24-12, 11:00 am
I havent got my piggies yet and this is my first time, but I am going to be using newspaper ;)

Don't use newspaper as bedding. It gets gross very fast and can be irritating to Piggies.

Do you have a C&C cage Cholland? Only if you do have one, I would recommend Fleece as bedding. I use Fleece in a 2x4 cage. It really depends on cage size, the smaller your cage is, the less effective Fleece would be.

You are only able to wash once a week-- That is all that Fleece needs, luckily for you! Wash once a week and you will be fine.

I wouldn't worry about them eating soiled hay. It hasn't been much of a problem except for people who use hay as their bedding option in litter boxes or elsewhere.

So basically I would use Fleece if you have a C&C cage and the hay shouldn't be a problem if you carry on how you are.

:)

doglaurasmudge
07-24-12, 11:34 am
My piggies are outside in a hutch, quite a few people have discouraged newspaper but encouraged fleece so I shall try that instead :P

cross
07-24-12, 11:40 am
i put the hay in the hay rack

Piggypogs
07-24-12, 12:10 pm
My piggies dont eat their hay if its all soiled so dont worry and piggies are supposed to eat certain poos im pretty sure its because of fibers in the poo every once in a while lol

Cholland
07-27-12, 09:57 am
Ok.. I don't have a C&C cage, as they don't sell them here in England, and its also pretty hard to get hold of something close enough to the materials to make my own... however I do have a 2X4 foot cage.. I am giving the fleece a try.. I have layered the bottom of the cage with newspaper then put a terry towel on top, and 2 tea towels where they usually pee.. then I put the fleece over the top, trapping the edges on the outside of the cage so they cant get under.. when they come out for a play inside, I put newspaper and 2 towels down for them and they seem to like it, so they will hopefully like the fleece. I'm glad it only needs to be changed once per week, that's a relief. I did want to know.. if it becomes very smelly during the week.. just pulling up and swapping the newspaper and / or the tea towels would be ok? Thanks for all the reply's guys.. this is such a helpful forum!

Owned by cavy
07-27-12, 10:27 am
Ok.. I don't have a C&C cage, as they don't sell them here in England, and its also pretty hard to get hold of something close enough to the materials to make my own... however I do have a 2X4 foot cage.. I am giving the fleece a try.. I have layered the bottom of the cage with newspaper then put a terry towel on top, and 2 tea towels where they usually pee.. then I put the fleece over the top, trapping the edges on the outside of the cage so they cant get under.. when they come out for a play inside, I put newspaper and 2 towels down for them and they seem to like it, so they will hopefully like the fleece. I'm glad it only needs to be changed once per week, that's a relief. I did want to know.. if it becomes very smelly during the week.. just pulling up and swapping the newspaper and / or the tea towels would be ok? Thanks for all the reply's guys.. this is such a helpful forum!

I would suggest changing it all if it becomes smelly. You'll notice when you need to change it all. Just use your judgement, it'll work out great. I love using the fleece, it's the best idea that I've found on this site. It makes things much simpler and it doesn't need to be changed out nearly as often as the bedding. I have trays beneath their water bottle and hay rack with bedding in them. They need to be changed out every other day at least. I usually change out the fleece every four to five days.

rachelappel
07-27-12, 01:12 pm
one of my pigs will pull all the hay out of the rack and line the litter box with it, curl up in the center and nap. after napping she'll just lay there and eat the hay. i never really worry about it because she always eats a majority of it before too long. and if you're changing the cage often enough, the icky hay will get cleaned up anyways :)

MishImpossible
07-27-12, 01:52 pm
I live in Scotland and it's pretty easy to get a C&C cage sorted out if you know where to look. I bought all my supplies from the internet! The UK part of this forum has lot of help and advice as to where to shop to find the pieces required.

Anyway, so far, I've used both fleece and carefresh and have found pros and cons to both - it's personal preference really.

Fleece
Pros -
Lots of bright colours
Washable
Soft and fleecy

Cons
Can smell a bit after a few days
Can leave bits of hay in your washing machine if not removed before washing

Carefresh
Pros
Disposable
Comes in a few different colours
Easily found in pet stores

Cons
Dusty - makes my boys sneeze
Expensive

When my C&C cage is built (I'm waiting on my bf to tidy up his xbox games in the spot I'll be using) I'll be using fleece cage liners especially made with finacard (shredded cardboard) in the bed & food areas as this is where mine go to the toilet the most.