Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Plans!

Greenbean

Cavy Slave
I need to know if this cage is safe, and I need to know soon. :crazy:

I have some plans for a cage, and I wanted to make sure that all of the materials I am getting is safe, and I would love if you could recommend some treats or toys. :tearsofjo

I had a C&C cage before, but it turned out to be way bigger than we expected. We ordered a 2x6 cage, and we had no where at all to put it. So we ended up selling it. :sad:

So, it's been almost a month since we have sold the C&C cage, and I wanted to try to make my own. And this time, I made sure the measurements are exactly right.

I was in the Cavy Talk Chat, and they told me all the items that I could use.

I would use Coroplast, but it's way too expensive for me. And after that C&C cage, my dad will not order anything off the internet. Ever.
The only way I can order stuff off the interenet, is if it's from a place that he trusts. Apparently, he doesn't think that this site is "trustworthy" ._.

So, I asked him if I could build my own cage, and he flipped out and said "No, we are going to get that cage from the store you were telling me all about today." And I said "That cage is way too small, I just realized that." And he said "No means no. Sorry." And I said "That isn't fair!" And he said "Life isn't fair."

Argh, sometimes, he really pushes my buttons.
Me and my grandma have decided to build a cage behind his back. ;)
It's horrible to do this when he said I couldn't, but I care about my piggy. And Bean is getting way too big for the store bought cage she is in now.

We are going this Wednesday to get the materials. But before we go, I just wanted to confirm that this stuff is good.

Materials

Cubes - Set of 2. [Maybe 3 if I can talk her into it.]

Shower curtain

Zipties

Clips

Fleece - 4 yards [Just to be on the safe side.]

Puppy pads [I don't have a link, sorry. :c]

(broken link removed) - 2 of them [I won't put this close enough to where she can nibble on it. :)]

Total: Around 75 dollars I think. [Not including tax.] It would be around 90 dollars if we got another set of cubes. [Not including tax, once again. :crazy:]

And if I'm missing anything, just tell me. ^ _ ^

I might order a coroplast base off of this site when I get the money. Hopefully I can talk my dad into letting me order it.
But for now, I think a shower curtain is fine. :)

The cage isn't going to be in my bedroom, but in another room. She is going to have her own little room. :D

Oh, and the cage is a 2x4.

When Bean gets used to the cage and everything, I might get another piggy. Depends on what my dad says.

If I do, I need some name ideas. Got any? :)

As for treat recommendations, I don't like anything like yogurt drops, or donut treats or stuff like that. That's a big no-no.

And as for toy recommendations, I like any kind of toy, just not as expensive. :) Oh, and you can recommend toys that have to be ordered online if you want. I always orders treats and food online. So nothing new if I can order some good toys.

I might get some of (broken link removed). Do they sound promising? Laura's piggies have these and they seem to love them. Do any of you have one of them? How does your pig like them?

Well, now that I think about it, I would actually have to get 4 boxes of grids, if I put grids on the bottom of the cage.
Is it really necessary to have a bottom made out of grids or... :I

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
I have my cage on the floor and don't use grids on the bottom. I read on one of the threads that somebody said that the pressure of them standing on the grid, even with fleece over it isn't good for their feet. So if you don't have coroplast over the grids I wouldn't do it. I use a vinyl tablecloth with flannel, then fleece. I also made up smaller pads to put in the areas they use for a bathroom(corners and hideys) so I can do a quick clean up every other day. I made the little pads the same as the big whole cage liner, 2 layers of flannel with fleece on top.

It's to bad you sold your other cage because you could have broken it down and rebuilt one from all the parts that worked better in your space.

mommazilla

Cavy Slave
No, don't make a bottom unless you're using coro and are making a stand for it with other cubes. Also, consider a thrift store for towels instead of puppy pads so you don't have to keep buying. I don't know how many cubes come in your boxes but for a 2x4 without a top you'd need 12 grids. Extra grids are always super awesome though. And a shower curtain will work well. I used a $2 shower curtain from walmart for months with no problem, just clip the fleece up the sides a bit to keep poo from rolling out. You also won't need an odor eliminator with this set up as long as you wash once a week. I have 2 and don't smell them.

Toys could be anything safe for pigs. My favorite (and the pigs favorite) are large cans (like the huge cans of crushed tomatoes) with both ends cut off (my can opener doesn't leave a sharp edge, make sure of that first) and oatmeal containers with the bottom cut off. Paper sacks. Mine don't care for a bell but the 2 I fostered loved ringing it. You don't have to buy toys. The only treat I buy for them is the wood sticks, the other stuff has honey and dye in it. I like to treat them more with special veggies and fruits and corn husks, etc.

I just looked at your link and you only need 1 box of those. You're getting 23 grids in that. That's plenty for a 2x4, even with a top and a hay rack. Just don't put the grids on the bottom without coroplast. Like Hh said, it's hard on their feet.

Last edited:

Greenbean

Cavy Slave
No, don't make a bottom unless you're using coro and are making a stand for it with other cubes. Also, consider a thrift store for towels instead of puppy pads so you don't have to keep buying. I don't know how many cubes come in your boxes but for a 2x4 without a top you'd need 12 grids. Extra grids are always super awesome though. And a shower curtain will work well. I used a $2 shower curtain from walmart for months with no problem, just clip the fleece up the sides a bit to keep poo from rolling out. You also won't need an odor eliminator with this set up as long as you wash once a week. I have 2 and don't smell them.

Toys could be anything safe for pigs. My favorite (and the pigs favorite) are large cans (like the huge cans of crushed tomatoes) with both ends cut off (my can opener doesn't leave a sharp edge, make sure of that first) and oatmeal containers with the bottom cut off. Paper sacks. Mine don't care for a bell but the 2 I fostered loved ringing it. You don't have to buy toys. The only treat I buy for them is the wood sticks, the other stuff has honey and dye in it. I like to treat them more with special veggies and fruits and corn husks, etc.

I just looked at your link and you only need 1 box of those. You're getting 23 grids in that. That's plenty for a 2x4, even with a top and a hay rack. Just don't put the grids on the bottom without coroplast. Like Hh said, it's hard on their feet.

Woah, I thought there was only 6 grids in there! I totally misread that. Thank you so much for pointing that out, that just saved me a lot of money. :D
And also, thank you for telling me about your toys, I will be sure to try out that can thing. :)

Greenbean

Cavy Slave
I have my cage on the floor and don't use grids on the bottom. I read on one of the threads that somebody said that the pressure of them standing on the grid, even with fleece over it isn't good for their feet. So if you don't have coroplast over the grids I wouldn't do it. I use a vinyl tablecloth with flannel, then fleece. I also made up smaller pads to put in the areas they use for a bathroom(corners and hideys) so I can do a quick clean up every other day. I made the little pads the same as the big whole cage liner, 2 layers of flannel with fleece on top.

It's to bad you sold your other cage because you could have broken it down and rebuilt one from all the parts that worked better in your space.

I didn't even think about that when I seen that it was too big. Aw man. D:
My cage will be on the floor. ^_^

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.