Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Wanting Older Piggy in MA

StrangeKat

Cavy Slave
My Dad says I can possibly get a Guinea Pig at the end of the summer, August/Septemberish. Im looking around now, however, for a pig because I figure I won't get a huge response. I prefer an older pig, it needs to be friendly and cuddleable as I will probably get it registered as a therapy animal (I have a history of panic attacks) so I can take it to college in a couple years. Will consider a pair, but not really likely. I don't want to go to a petstore, or the local SPCA as they both tend to abuse/neglect animals. My e-mail is [email protected], any information would be appreciated! =o)

Eventrocker33

Cavy Slave
The spca doesn't abuse or neglect animals, they save their lives. Where in Ma are you. I went to the Animal Rescue League of Boston and they were very nice. I suggest that you get a pair so they won't be lonely. And like you said don't go to a petstore.

StrangeKat

Cavy Slave
They neglect health issues SEVERELY in Springfield SPCA, I got 5 cats from them, all of whom were sick with upper respitory infections, which can be deadly in kittens. $5000 dollars in vet bills (with no help from the humane society, thank you) later they all lived, but it was too emotional and financially straining to go through again. I have heard Boston and CT SPCA's are good though, I may consider a road trip.

Edit: Im getting one piggeh for now, but when I start school again im going to get another one so it won't be lonely. Luckily my job would allow me to take it to work (im a day-time nanny) for now, so they can have lots of attention from me and my kids. =o)

Eventrocker33

Cavy Slave
Sounds good. You should go to Boston, Right now I think there are two females there.

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
You need two pigs, they can get lonely and depressed. Most good rescues won't let you take home just one pig unless you have one at home all ready. There really isn't that much of a diffrence between one and two pigs money wise and space they need only increases a little. Also, if you adopt an already bonded pair you won't have to do the introductions yourself or worry about them not getting along. Go to www.petfinder.com.

StrangeKat

Cavy Slave
I'll re-check on petfinder, I didn't pay attention to them before but I'll take a look-see. Isn't there also a rescue organization in CT as well? Do you know anything about them? Im definetly going to look around a bit, I want a healthy piggeh after all. =o)

StrangeKat

Cavy Slave
According to cavy cages the cage im building is big enough for 2 pigs, so space isn't an issue, but my dad is. I would love two guinea pigs, but I have to get him used to the idea first.

Eventrocker33

Cavy Slave
Well show him everything on this site and others about how pigs are social animals.

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
What size are you building? A 2x4? With two pigs the second pig only adds like 5 dollars to the cost of veggies a week.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Eventrocker33 said:
The spca doesn't abuse or neglect animals, they save their lives.
Believe me, some SPCAs are better then others. There have been reports of horrible abuse in some SPCAs.

The SPCA is a good idea that happens to be run by humans with, sometimes, limited money and resources. What starts out with great intentions can end in abuse.

StrangeKat

Cavy Slave
Yea, a 2x4, and I do plan to expand eventually when I move. Even the cost or fruits and veggies is so not an issue as im a vegetarian so I always have an ample supply of assorted veggies & fruits lying around. I saw a pair at a local rescue that I have fallen in love with, they've been through alot and I'd love to be their forever mommy. Im going to be extra good and beg my Dad. I also wrote up a report to show him I know my stuff and this isn't just a phase.

AmiableAnimals

Cavy Slave
Hi StrangeKat, if you are near Springfield you are close to the Critter COnnection or myself. We both have a ton of adorable pigs for adoption. Good luck in your search! vbmenu_register("postmenu_86684", true);

alfieiheartu
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
No, not all petstores are bad, only the petstores that sell animals are bad.

StrangeKat

Cavy Slave
Where is Amiable Animals located? I think I saw that on petfinder, but it stated three different locations which kind of confused me. As to the pet store thing I don't believe they should sell animals, most stores get them from commercial breeders then keep them in less then suitable conditions. The best pet store I know of that has animals is this mom & pop hole in the wall, they have decent sized enclosures, a limited amount of pets, and they can give you a history of where the pet came from and accurate infomation about how to care for it. In fact I did call them to inquire about cavys and they have agreed with the 7.5 cage guidelines for piggehs. I still want a rescue though, it just seems more worthwhile to adopt from one.

AmiableAnimals

Cavy Slave
We have most of the piggies here in Salem, but also have foster homes in Worcester and Boston areas, so can often arrange tansports and such if needed.

alfieiheartu

Eventrocker33

Cavy Slave
alfieiheartu-Ly isn't saying that the guinea pigs are bad, just that the people don't know alot and it is bad to sell animals. My pig is from a petstore and I have had her for 3 1/2 years and she is the best guinea pig, I just didn't know not to buy from petstores then. So please don't buy from a petstore, adopt instead.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
alfieiheartu
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.