PDA

View Full Version : Conditions What's this?

MrWhistles
07-19-12, 02:09 pm
Twas doing my 1st poop sweep in Whistles cage this morning. And I found a few white spots. Their gooy feeling. And don't smell like guinea pig urine. There wasn't any of these spots where he slept last night or any of the other spots where he sleeps.
These spots were by his veggie bowl.

pinky
07-19-12, 02:11 pm
Looks like sludge.

guineapigs2468
07-19-12, 02:13 pm
Twas doing my 1st poop sweep in Whistles cage this morning. And I found a few white spots. Their gooy feeling. And don't smell like guinea pig urine. There wasn't any of these spots where he slept last night or any of the other spots where he sleeps.
These spots were by his veggie bowl.
I think guinea pigs urine goes white when their diet is to calcium enriched. Try to feed him less foods with calcium in, and see if it clears up. This happens sometimes, and check out the food chart if you are unsure which veggies to cut back on.

Zuidy
07-19-12, 02:20 pm
Those would be Calcium deposits in the urine. Lower the Calcium in the diet.

Could you post his diet and what pellets you give him? Romaine Lettuce also causes White spots in many Piggies.

My girls have had White spots in their pee before, mostly powdery or with no texture at all. If they persist for a few days, go on alert. If you need to alter his diet, go ahead and do so. If that still doesn't help and the spots get worse, take him to a vet-- It could be a sign of stones and require surgery to be removed.

Good luck MrWhistles!

MrWhistles
07-19-12, 02:21 pm
We are running a tad low on his veggies.
His normal salad contains
1- 2 leafs of green leaf(depending on size)
6-8 sticks of cliantro
1 inch of celery(cut up to prevent choking) OR 1 inch of carrot(sometimes 1/2 inch if thick)
1 slice of a red tomato
and 1 inch ring of green pepper.

Right now his veggies just contain lettuce, celery, tomato and green pepper.

Also, right now we're having to finish the bag of guinea pig pellets that I really did not want to buy. But we didn't have the money to get KMS :'(
Their the Great Choice Guinea pig pellets. 1st ingredient is Dehydrated alfalfa meal.
I'm only giving him a tiny bit. I'm quite certain it is less than 1/8 of a cup.

Zuidy
07-19-12, 02:28 pm
You can probably cut down on Cilantro a bit. Maybe to 5 stalks a day.

I always hear about Celery not being the best due to the strings. I don't feed it. And according to the chart it says that it is a bit high in Calcium compared to quite a few things and you should only feed it about twice a week.

1 Cherry tomato is all they should have. They can have a slice of a Tomato like that twice or so a week.

Green Pepper is good. I know it doesn't affect the situation here, but Yellow Bell Peppers do have more Vitamin C than Green. ;)

Good luck!

MrWhistles
07-19-12, 02:33 pm
I'm thinking his celery maybe adding too much calcium. I'll try removing it.

Thanks for the help everyone :)

bpatters
07-19-12, 02:38 pm
I don't know that sludge is gooey. I'd tend to suspect boar glue.

But if tou want to alter his diet, the first thing I'd do is cut out the cilantro altogether and see if that's the culprit. It's much more likely to be the cilantro than the celery, because you're giving him way too much of it.

@Zuidy (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=20670) , white spots are not a sign of stones. They're a sign of calcium excretion, which could possibly lead to stones, but may not.

MrWhistles
07-19-12, 02:58 pm
I don't know that sludge is gooey. I'd tend to suspect boar glue.

But if tou want to alter his diet, the first thing I'd do is cut out the cilantro altogether and see if that's the culprit. It's much more likely to be the cilantro than the celery, because you're giving him way too much of it.

I 1st thought it was boar glue as well.
So many users on here say Cilantro is a great everyday veggie. This chart www.guineapigcages.com/forum/diet-nutrition/22156-read-me-cavy-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html#post254730 (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/diet-nutrition/22156-read-me-cavy-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html#post254730) says Cilantro has a Ca:p ratio of 1:4:1 and Celery has 1:7:1. Cilantro has Ca at 17mg and Celery has Ca at 40 at mg.

bpatters
07-19-12, 03:21 pm
Cilantro is a great veggie for the pigs, but I've known more than one pig with powdery urine to have it clear up when they were taken off cilantro. It may be that the pig is getting too much of it, or just that that particular pig can't handle it. And it may not be the problem at all. It's just the first thing I'd try.

MrWhistles
07-19-12, 03:36 pm
Cilantro is a great veggie for the pigs, but I've known more than one pig with powdery urine to have it clear up when they were taken off cilantro. It may be that the pig is getting too much of it, or just that that particular pig can't handle it. And it may not be the problem at all. It's just the first thing I'd try.

Ah
In the chart i linked. Ca means calcium correct?

He may have been getting too much. I'll reduce it to 3-4 sticks when we get more. Also, he hasn't had any cilantro for atleast 2days now.

MissJean
07-19-12, 05:01 pm
If that's boar glue, and you let it dry on there, it will never come off. =(

I've never been able to get it off at least.

MrWhistles
07-19-12, 05:34 pm
If that's boar glue, and you let it dry on there, it will never come off. =(

I've never been able to get it off at least.

Well. It's been sitting there since lunch time. Lemme give it a try. This could tell us if it really is boar glue. Correct?

ETA: well 6-7 hours later and it is still moist. How long does it take urine to dry?

MrWhistles
07-20-12, 12:04 pm
Okay. So I again found more white spots. But they are considerably less than yesterday. There was only 2 spots smaller than a dime. And 1 teeny tiny spot.

MrWhistles
07-21-12, 02:41 pm
Would his pellets cause these spots? Even if I feed him less than 1/8 cup?

ChadWPB
07-21-12, 03:14 pm
If the spots are dry, can you get an idea of the texture of the residue? If it's like chalk dust, it's ordinary calcium excretion. If it's like salt grains, it's sludge. Sludge can abrade/irritate the urinary tract and cause infection.

We have had many sludge pigs that never had stones, but they experienced UTI's more often.

MrWhistles
07-21-12, 03:25 pm
The first spots are now powdery feeling. I only found one spot today. It seems to be disappearing.