Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Antibiotic question (Tmps)

ROKN ZJ

Cavy Slave
Hi, we have two guinea pigs both of who were prescribed 'Tmps' and it seems to be affecting each badly.

I tried searching TMPS with no success, is it called something else?

One guinea (female, 5.5yo) was prescribed it for an abscessed tooth (bacteria in the mouth) and it's given her severe diarrhea.

The other guinea (female, 7yo) was prescribed it for a mild case of bumble-foot (caused by them piling hay up on the ground and nesting in it constantly) and it seems to have made her constipated. She is eating and drinking a little less that usual, but she is eating and drinking, but she hasn't poo'ed in over an hour.

So my questions are:
What is TMPS and how does it compare with the other antibiotics (Baytril, etc.) that are more commonly discussed on here.
Is there a better antibiotic that would cause them less issues that I should switch them to?

Thanks,
Hal

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I'm pretty sure that's trimethoprim sulfa (Bactrim), which is commonly perscribed to guinea pigs.
Antibiotics kill off the good bacteria in the gut, so it's best to give a probiotic when your pigs are on antibiotics. I usually give a probiotic an hour after giving an antibiotic. Here's a link on probiotics. https://www.guinealynx.info/probiotics.html

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
TMP is the same thing as Bactrim. It's commonly given to very young pigs, who are adversely affected by Baytril. You'll find some information on it here: https://www.guinealynx.info/antibiotics.html, and here: Norovet TMPS (Canada) Veterinary Information from Drugs.com.

It's given as a treatment for diarrhea in some animals, so I wonder if it's really the cause of the one pig's diarrhea.

My suggestion is that you post these questions over at Guinea Lynx -- there are a number of posters over there who have coped with severe tooth problems, and they should be very helpful.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Trimeth Sulfa is one of the broadest spectrum and easiest on the stomach antibiotics for guinea pigs. It's highly unlikely that it's the cause of both pigs' problems. I would call your vet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.