Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Australia c & c grids

xTayzx

Cavy Slave
So I want to go buy some due to the fact my girl is in a cage with newspaper. Anyway, Ive read the others and will check out bunnings.
But the coroplast stuff? Where do you get that in Australia? whats the real name of it? what shop woud be likely to have it does anyone know? Thanks!

monkeynthechimp

Cavy Slave
It's called corflute over here... I got it from a plastics company in Brisbane that can even deliver it for you.. Not sure where you are... Also... I got the 8mm thick stuff and just have that for the cage... I do have a few grids to hook my water bottle on etc... But the thick stuff is totally sturdy enough to not need the grids as long as you make the side high enough... It's harder to cut but worth the effort! Also there is a Brisbane based seller on ebay who sells the grids in packs... They call them storage cubes... If u are interested I can look up their name... :)

xTayzx

Cavy Slave
Yes please! and I live near Bundaberg. Is it the same or way thicker? i just want it as a base to put with the grids..

monkeynthechimp

Cavy Slave
It's the same...from what I can tell by assumption only Mose people use 6mm thick so it's only 2mm thicker but stronger... I'll try and dig up the eBay seller for grids... You could probably get the corflute from a sign making store or even ask around at real estate agents to see if they have old forsale signs they no longer need...you could tape them together to get the right size....

monkeynthechimp

Cavy Slave
The eBay seller I used is called xkuzhu
But search wire cube storage and there are a couple of sellers you could compare shipping etc...

monkeynthechimp

Cavy Slave
c & c grids
This was my cage... I have made about 10 renovations since then... And added a LOT of toys, hideys, and whatnot...

xTayzx

Cavy Slave
will check bunnings before i buy online.

xTayzx

Cavy Slave
how did you put the fleece down? what did you put under the fleece?

monkeynthechimp

Cavy Slave
At the moment I have newspaper then a couple layers of old towels then the fleece... It just sits on top... I recently found that my piggies love making a massive tent outta the fleece so I put an extra layer down one end for them to burrow under... They like it more than all the expensive hideys I bought... And if they have a disagreement there is plenty of room for them to have an end each... Hehe I have seen on here that a lot of people use what they call uhaul pads (which I finally figured out were the blankets that removalists use to wrap up you furniture) instead of the towel layer and seem really happy with it... So I am hoping to get a few of them if I can find them... ;)

xTayzx

Cavy Slave
how often do you change the cage?

monkeynthechimp

Cavy Slave
I scoop out the poop twice a day... Change the whole fleece and lining every 5-7 days depending on how feral the boys have been hehehe they usually pee in the same spot in their kitchen which makes it easy to spot clean every couple of days if necessary. I was a little obsessed for the first couple of weeks and would pick out their poop every time they did one... I have learned to relax a little ;)

xTayzx

Cavy Slave
Haha ok, i was just double checking i think id be like that at first! ^^ I have three other hutches at the moment, all being used by just one little girl :( It's depressing.

monkeynthechimp

Cavy Slave
I started with a hutch... I absolutely love the new cage though! I can stop by and give the boys a scratch and a cuddle every time I walk past the cage without having to open up the lid and scaring them... Not sure how impressed they are by mummy and her annoying kisses though ;)

xTayzx

Cavy Slave
awww haha i want one, they just sound really hard to make and confusing about how many layers you need etc :/

monkeynthechimp

Cavy Slave
Nah... Stick some news paper in... Wack some old towels in top... Then a layer of fleece... If they have a special wee wee place that you notice make the towel layer in the area thicker so u can last longer without having to change the cage... Simple! :)

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Nah... Stick some news paper in... Wack some old towels in top... Then a layer of fleece... If they have a special wee wee place that you notice make the towel layer in the area thicker so u can last longer without having to change the cage... Simple! :)

Newspaper is not needed really, just enough layers of an absorbent material such as towels. If it's not enough, the newspapers will not help absorbing regardless & will get soggy & smelly. Soggy newspaper stick to towels & fleece in a way that will drive you insane.

You can however use newspaper underneath loose bedding, where it might be easier to lift it all out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.