Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi all! My first pigs in 8-10 years!

MegKem

Cavy Slave
As a child, I always loved having pet guinea pigs. From the time I was about 4 until I was 12 I had 4 different pigs.

Last week I took in 2 black and white guinea pigs from a family that could no longer take care of them. Unfortunately, they were housed together, and after a week of watching the female closely, I am positive she is very pregnant. I will be posting about that later...

Anyway, we got lucky...these pigs love my kids (age 16 months and 2.5 years) and don't hold it against my kids when they get too rough with the petting (poor piggies! we're working on it...)

Here is my favorite, the male, Blaster:

blaster.jpg

I can't make the picture bigger, so hopefully it is bigger on the actual post!

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome!

Your Piggies look like the breed known as Abyssinian, or Abby for short.

I can guarantee that the female is pregnant if it is a female and the other is a male and they were housed together. Please sex your Guinea Pigs now to confirm sexes and DO NOT put them together.

What are your Guinea Pigs housed in?

Welcome to the forums!

Kota12

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forums! I can't wait to see some more pigtures!

boofp

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum, I am so happy you saved these piggies. Hope and praying all goes well for your with the pregnancy and all. Your male is beautiful would love to see the female.

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
Welcome to the forum! Blaster is adorable. Our first piggy was (is) an Aby. Full of attitude! Hope you will keep us posted and also put up more pictures!

MegKem

Cavy Slave
Here are some picture of Cherry, the female, and the cage they sent them both in. We still have her in it as we can't upgrade for a few weeks, but rest assured, we are planning a bigger cage for her and the babies, and Blaster his own cage. He is in my bedroom where my husband is napping, so I can't get pictures, but he seems content in his new area too.

DSCN5817.jpgDSCN5818.jpgDSCN5815.jpgDSCN5811.jpg

The hanger is up there for a reference of the cage size... I am hoping she will be fine in it with babies until we can move her. Would this be okay for Blaster alone once we have a bigger cage, or should we be looking for two bigger cages?

My husband made her the hut to hide in, as she is still pretty afraid of us (unless we come with fresh veggies LOL) and so she had someplace have her babies.

guineapig988

Cavy Slave
welcome, first of all I love the second level. Also do you have any hay for them? I was just curriouse as I didn't see any but please don't take that the wrong way. As far as the cage goes as far as I can tell thats the super pet extra large cage, which is roughly 5.5 sq ft, which on this site the cage size minimum is 7.5 and it really should be. She should probably be fine until you can move her. I know about the super pet cage because my friend has it for her hedgehog. Also I would look for 2 bigger cages sense that one isn't 7.5 square feet. People mainly recomend c&c cages but if you don't want to make one or do not want to make 2, I do know of a 8 sq ft guinea pig cage, that would be great for your male, or its expandable so I think you could buy 2 for your female and babies depending on how many and what genders you get.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Hi!
Welcome to the forum!
She could give birth to male or females so when you are thinking into bigger cages make plans for if she has any males; as two males should have at least (In my opinion) 13 sq feet so they don't fight.

MegKem

Cavy Slave
welcome, first of all I love the second level. Also do you have any hay for them? I was just curriouse as I didn't see any but please don't take that the wrong way. As far as the cage goes as far as I can tell thats the super pet extra large cage, which is roughly 5.5 sq ft, which on this site the cage size minimum is 7.5 and it really should be. She should probably be fine until you can move her. I know about the super pet cage because my friend has it for her hedgehog. Also I would look for 2 bigger cages sense that one isn't 7.5 square feet. People mainly recomend c&c cages but if you don't want to make one or do not want to make 2, I do know of a 8 sq ft guinea pig cage, that would be great for your male, or its expandable so I think you could buy 2 for your female and babies depending on how many and what genders you get.

We do have hay. I had just cleaned the cage out before taking the picture though lol. Tonight I bought a manger for the hay to help keep the cage clean(I hope).

We are likely going to order c&c cages for them both, since we likely will get male and female babies, but we can't order for 2 weeks. For the meantime we have Blaster in a playpen and Cherry in the cage.

schavarry

Cavy Slave
We are likely going to order c&c cages for them both, since we likely will get male and female babies, but we can't order for 2 weeks. For the meantime we have Blaster in a playpen and Cherry in the cage.

Why can't you order the cages for two weeks? Because you're ordering from this site? You can buy the pieces from other places for cheaper and possibly make the cage sooner. If you do make a C&C cage and your piggy is pregnant please be sure to baby-proof the cage (I think I already said this on your other thread, but I just wanted to point it out again)

BTW - Welcome to the forum!!

MegKem

Cavy Slave
Even if we only bought two 2x4 cages without lids(one for Blaster and any boar babies, one for Cherry and any sow babies) we're looking at $240 to get them here. Then we have to make our own lids to keep the kids and dogs out... logistically, not going to happen on our budget this pay.

If you know a chain store (Lowes or Home Depot are both on island) that carry the pieces so we can skip the shipping costs to Hawaii, it's much more likely we can work sooner. Otherwise, we're doing the best we can with what we have.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Maybe you could wait till after the babies are born to order the cages? That way you'll know the amount of males and females you have.

guineapig988

Cavy Slave
oh ok I see why you must wait. Also thanks for telling me about the hay.

MegKem

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I wish we didn't, I am going to do a quick search and see if we can find supplies at Lowes or Home Depot. If it was remotely possible to upgrade sooner, I would gladly. We searched a few stores for bigger cages (thinking we might find some made for rabbits that would be big enough) but had zero luck. Everything we found was smaller than what we already have for her. I am trying to work out a way to connect two pens for her inside our laundry room, but would have to figure out something to put on the floor to keep the mess up. Debating some of my kids water proof mattress covers with a sheet over it.

Thanks for checking about hay! The people we got them from did not feed hay, I was a little put off by it. She has timothy hay (as does Blaster) now, pellet food, and fresh fruit and veggies each day. I have been focusing a lot on her diet since we suspected babies. My husband got a little annoyed with my hour long search about what I could and could not feed them :)

guineapig988

Cavy Slave
Aww poor piggies no hay at their old home:( Have you thought about switching the pregnect one to Alfalfa hay? Or is it just for nersing pigs. That could work with a sheet not sure. Possibly a tarp or water proof mat with fleece over or sheet would work.

kananaka

Cavy Slave
Hi Meg do you have a Walmart on the island? You can get the cubes there or sent to the store and try to find the coroplast/corrugated plastic at a sign shop.

I got my cage from this site and it is awesome. Comes with everything you need, so if you have to order from here it is trust worthy and the lady is really nice (Sue?).

Side note. My family is from Oahu, my Dad grew up in Aiea, and my parents met on Diamond Head at the Cannon club back in the day. I still have tons of family there! Nice to see a local girl on here :cheerful:!

guineapig988

Cavy Slave
If you have a bed bath and beyond they sell them there.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Aww poor piggies no hay at their old home:( Have you thought about switching the pregnect one to Alfalfa hay? Or is it just for nersing pigs. That could work with a sheet not sure. Possibly a tarp or water proof mat with fleece over or sheet would work.

I'm just going to quickly add that alfalfa hay is a supplement only. No matter the age of the pig, they also need long strand grass hay.

xTayzx

Cavy Slave
so cute!! Love your piggies :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.