Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

First time guinea pig owner

gem03

Cavy Slave
Hi, im gemma, Im 27 with a husband 3 young children, 2 tortoises and a black lab. I have just got my 2 boy piggies last thursday, they were born on the 1st June 2012, ive named them Whiskey and Ginger, they have been loads of fun to watch! Ginger is the braver pig and is happy to eat from my hand and be stroked, but whisky will not eat from my hand and will not be touched. So im looking for as much info as i can get to help them settle down.
Both have been popcorning like crazy whenever im sat with them, so im guessing thats a good sign?
Their house is a 5ftx3ft c&c cage, no upstairs for them yet but planning on adding one when are more settled.
Any help or advice is greatly appreciated! Never owned piggies before but i am totally in love with them x

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
Wow! My piggies are just starting to popcorn whenever they see me, and I've had them for over 3 1/2 months! My piggies are the same way. One is braver, and the other is very timid!

I think everybody here agrees with you in that they are a total joy to watch! :D :D I am very proud of your cage! I only have room for a 2 by 5... :)

Go to www.guinealynx.info and they are basically the best guinea pig health website on the Internet. I'm serious. If you go on it, you can browse the info, and you should be able to find some charts for fruits and veggies. This is a LIFE SAVER. You can either print it out, or save it to your computer, but it is a must have! It has pretty much all the fruits and veggies a guinea pig should be allowed to eat with nutritional values, so you know what your piggies are eating!

Do you now how to clip their nails? Some people don't mind using toenail clippers (they are bigger than fingernail clippers. Fingernail clippers aren't strong enough), but I like to use cat clippers. They feel like I am cutting through butter! :) No need to go online, and buy $30 premium clippers. I went to Wal Mart, and got mine for about $8!!
There are a lot of videos out there on how to do it, so you might want to stick with the ones that have thousands of views, and a lot of people like. Here is a great video: Pet Guinea Pig Nail Clipping Instruction - YouTube. **IMPORTANT** When you start to clip their nails, you will want a jar, bottle, whatever of Qwik Stop. Guinea pigs, like cats, have a blood vessel in their nails called the "quick". Eventually, you might accidentally cut the quick. :( Most everyone does at one point or another. The Qwik Stop clots the blood, and helps stop infections from forming.

I hope that helped! You can personally message me, if you want me to elaborate! :D

Kota12

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forums! :) Can't wait to see some pigtures!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.