Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How should I convince my parents to let me get guinea pigs?

calebvdk

Cavy Slave
I havent asked my parents if I can get guinea pigs yet, but I am assuming they are going to say no because it took me 15 years to convince my mom to let our family get a dog. And I tried to get ferrets a year ago and she said she didnt want any rodents in her house. what should I say? I have held and cared for friends piggies before and I love them! and I want them so bad!
please help!

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I'm of the opinion that you probably shouldn't. Your parents are the ones who will be responsible for their vet bills and other expenses; if they don't want them in the first place, it's not going to bode well for getting them the best care. Also, you're not going to be in the house much longer (probably) and that means when you go to college or wherever, you're leaving the pigs (and the dog) to them. Which isn't really fair to the parents or the pets. Frankly, I think you should just be content with what you've got and wait till you're in a situation to get what you want 'so bad' without having to have any kind of permission. Maybe consider volunteering at a shelter or rescue that takes pigs?

MissJean

Cavy Slave
Are you going to be offsetting or paying for their care? If your parents are the ones paying for vet visits and the like, they should be aware of how costly it can be.

If you are paying at least partially, then it shouldn't be too difficult to convince them. Since you've stated it took 15 years to convince them to get a dog, I'm assuming you're in your late teens/early twenties and should be capable of working a job to pay for care costs.

Since you're still living at home, you'll need to address smell and cage location. Ideally the cage would be placed somewhere you spend a lot of time. As for smell, they don't really have much. I've always used fleece and don't really notice offending odors.

I'd have everything in your favor written down before having the discussion. I don't know your parents, but they could potentially become annoyed at you continually pushing the subject if they say no.

Maintaining good behavior, good grades (if your in school still), and being helpful around the house might slide things into your favor as well.

emmaf520

Cavy Slave
While I do mostly agree with Paula that you might just want to let this go until you have your own place...I will tell you what I did when I was still living at home.

First of all do a ton of research on guinea pigs and their behavior and all that. Hopefully you're planning on adopting, and if so I would search for a shelter near you (or check the pet section on Craigslist) and look at potential piggies. Write EVERYTHING down; every bit of research, pro/con list, pigs you might be interested in, why you want guinea pigs, everything.
Make a list of everything you would need to purchase that would be a one time thing (guinea pig(s), cage material, food dish(es), water bottle(s), hidey house(s), etc.) and total all of that up. Then make a separate list of things that you would need to continuously purchase (food, bedding (unless you go fleece), hay, veggies, etc.) and total all of that up. Honestly, in the process of figuring out all the cost you might even talk yourself out of it.
Have a plan for how all of these things will get paid for. Like if you have a job and you put everything into a checking account, maybe consider a separate savings account that will be designated just for piggie care.
If after all of this, you still feel guinea pigs are the pet for you, present the research to your parents.
Finally, if they still say 'no', show them you are mature and just thank them for listening to you and leave it at that. It is, after all, their house. You ultimately have to respect them and what they decide.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

guineapig988

Cavy Slave
Hi, I know how you feel. Although I am guessing that I am younger then you because 15 years ago I was not alive. I remember before I got my pigs that's all I could think about. I can tell you what I did but your parents may be diffrent from mine. What I did, did work because about 2 months ago I got 2 piggies. My dad had rodents growing up, but my mom was completly against getting rodents. The first thing I did was research a lot about them to prove I would know how to take care of them. Then I wrote down everything that I needed for start up. My parents didn't go for the c&c cages. Then I added up hay, bedding and pellets for monthly costs. We already always have veggies. I also get allowance and have some savings so I payed for all of it plus I pay for monthly. Sometimes my dad pays for it. Like last week he payed for the pellets and a $2 toy. Show that you are responsible with your dog. Finally present them with a plan. Also I just want to say after adding up the price it's alittle scary so u may convince your self not to get one.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I second the plan idea, because I can not afford the pigs care myself I made a plan with my mom to help even things out. We set out a 4 week plan to gather all materials we needed so it wouldn't be all at once. Week one was a cage and bedding, week two was a food bowl and water bottle, week three was food and hay then week four was the actual pigs.

calebvdk

Cavy Slave
I am 16 and have a full time job in the summer and part time during school. so money for supplies and vet bills isnt an issue and I am planning on going to university and living off campus so I could take them with me. If that changes I have a younger brother who is also an animal lover who said he would be willing to take them. So I am not abandoning him. I have been doing a lot of research and started to make a plan/presentation. thanks for all your help and opinions!

schavarry

Cavy Slave
As a parent myself, I'm going to say this. If you really want guinea pigs, or anything else for that matter, do not continually bug your parents after they say "no" (revisiting the topic in a few weeks/months is one thing, asking every day will get you nowhere) and be grown up/polite about it - if they say "no" and you whine and complain about it, you will look immature and your parents won't want to help you out.

In the end - if your parents continually say "no", they're the adults, ultimately they'll be responsible for the piggies when it comes down to vet care, or while you're out, or if you can't afford them when you go to college or if you get bored of them...

Also, Paula had a good point - you can volunteer at a rescue or shelter until you turn 18, move out on your own and are paying ALL your own bills and see if you can afford the piggy.

emeraldamykate

Cavy Slave
Basically my thoughts are, whoever owns the house or pays the rent decides what pets can and cannot be in the house. I just think it's best to not bug parents about this sort of thing.
Ask them once and if they say no, just accept it and keep playing with your friend's piggies.
Being able to accept it when your parents say no is a sign of maturity, and is generally viewed well by parents. Also, being told no is not the end of the world. Nagging your parents to the point where they give in and say yes, and eventually realize they did not want to have these pets, so they make you get rid of them, is.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
I am 16 and have a full time job in the summer and part time during school. so money for supplies and vet bills isnt an issue

I'll bet you would be pretty surprised how expensive a vet visit can be. And how quickly it would drain your cashflow. And with you working full time, who would be available to bring them to the vet if the need comes up?

and I am planning on going to university and living off campus soI could take them with me.

Most universities require underclassmen to live in the dorms on campus.
If that changes I have a younger brother who is also an animal lover who said he would be willing to take them. So I am not abandoning him.

This is assuming your younger brother doesn't lose interest in the pig eventually and accidentally "forget" to feed him or clean the cage.

Ditto what Paula said, if your folks aren't on board, I would wait until you are in a position to make that decision for yourself. If you get a pig despite your parents' disapproval, the pig might end up homeless once again for no reason other than you "REALLY WANTED" one.

Kota12

Cavy Slave
The way I got my first piggy was by (this may sound cheesy) making a little presentation on what the costs are, whats the best food to give them, things like that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.