Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Alternatives ?

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave
What can be used for the base of a C&C Cage instead of coroplast and shower curtain?

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave

Dee_E

Cavy Slave
That stuff is very hard to cut, plus you would have to join it together with tape(?)which would degrade. Is your cage on the ground?

I use a plastic tablecloth with felt backing, felt down, then layer over and clip the fleece to the grids.

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave
That stuff is very hard to cut, plus you would have to join it together with tape(?)which would degrade. Is your cage on the ground?

I use a plastic tablecloth with felt backing, felt down, then layer over and clip the fleece to the grids.

Oh ok. It will be on the ground but thinking to raise it off the floor since I have a 5 yr old and a 20 month old. Don't need one of them putting a boy with the girls or a girl with the boys. Won't be doing it until I move to Florida though. Because i'm not too sure if I want to continue to use the wooden cages that I built. Some people say that wooden cages suck for a lot of reasons. So when I move, i'm thinking about going back to grids but with out the coroplast because the coroplast is a lot of work to get it to the correct size

Raine59

Cavy Slave
I think trying to cut up plastic bins and tape them together would be way more work than coroplast to get it the right size. On one of my cages I use a plastic tarp and it works pretty well. It's a little less attractive, in my opinion, but it's cheaper and easier to clean and work with.

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave
I think trying to cut up plastic bins and tape them together would be way more work than coroplast to get it the right size. On one of my cages I use a plastic tarp and it works pretty well. It's a little less attractive, in my opinion, but it's cheaper and easier to clean and work with.

Ok thanks for the ideas. I will definitely be trying them out

boofp

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
You can order just coroplast bottoms from this website if you dont want to fool with it yourself. or try ebay people who sell the cages message them they may be willing to send you just the coroplast.

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave
You can order just coroplast bottoms from this website if you dont want to fool with it yourself. or try ebay people who sell the cages message them they may be willing to send you just the coroplast.

Thanks. I didn't even think about that. Thanks a bunch for those ideas

Critter guy

Cavy Slave
I use just plain linoleum and place the cubes on it and the fleece
I get it from the flooring store as remnants and they are cheap when I tell them that it's for the floor of my cages they even gave me the last 2 pieces for free

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave
I use just plain linoleum and place the cubes on it and the fleece
I get it from the flooring store as remnants and they are cheap when I tell them that it's for the floor of my cages they even gave me the last 2 pieces for free

Oh wow ok. I'll try that. What do you do about the visible grids since you don't have coroplast covering them?

My guinea pig Princess is expecting 3 babies and I don't want them to get stuck in the grids if they aren't covered. That's why I was asking about the storage bins for that reason. How would I babyproof the cage if there is only linoleum and fleece on the floor and nothing to block the grids?

Critter guy

Cavy Slave
If you get the linoleum bigger than you need you can bring it up the sides and hold it there with zip ties... I've also used plexi glass the hardware store cut it to fit however it was rather expensive ..i don't like anything on the sides because I like to be able to see but with your babies you will need something ...hope this helps

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave
How badly do you want/need the coroplast? I have a 2x4 box already constructed that I'm happy to give you......plus a smaller loft box and a few left-over pieces. I'm ~2:30 from you in CT.

The coro box (light/bright blue) isn't perfect as it was my first attempt at cutting and scoring, but it might work if it's worth the drive.

I don't drive and in 3 weeks i'm moving to florida. I would appreciate it but I don't know if I will have time to come there for it. I really appreciate the offer though. Thanks so much

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave
If you get the linoleum bigger than you need you can bring it up the sides and hold it there with zip ties... I've also used plexi glass the hardware store cut it to fit however it was rather expensive ..i don't like anything on the sides because I like to be able to see but with your babies you will need something ...hope this helps

Thank you for the ideas. When I move then I will definitely look into it.

kp53179

Cavy Slave
Where I get my coroplast I have them score it for me! The first time I tried it turned out very bad so I asked them and they had no problem. I printed out the measurements and they did it perfect. This was at Fast Signs. Hope you can find some place like that. It is worth it.

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave
Where I get my coroplast I have them score it for me! The first time I tried it turned out very bad so I asked them and they had no problem. I printed out the measurements and they did it perfect. This was at Fast Signs. Hope you can find some place like that. It is worth it.

Thank you. i hope so too. The first time I actually made my coroplast box it came out alright.

mommy4kids

Cavy Slave
I just use a uhaul blanket thing under my cage and nothing touches my floor. I would say you could probably use overlapping grids to make it work for baby proofing but I have never had baby piggies.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Where are you moving to in FL? If you're having a hard time locating a company that sells coroplast cheap I can show you one.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Thank you. i hope so too. The first time I actually made my coroplast box it came out alright.

My coroplast is HORRIBLY measured/cut :p
You can kinda see it here: (broken link removed)

The coroplast was a pain for me to cut because my scissors were quite dull/using our skinning knifes weren't gonna fly because we didn't want to damage the floors.(VERY sharp knifes)

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave
My coroplast is HORRIBLY measured/cut :p
You can kinda see it here: (broken link removed)

The coroplast was a pain for me to cut because my scissors were quite dull/using our skinning knifes weren't gonna fly because we didn't want to damage the floors.(VERY sharp knifes)

Oh ok. Yea it was difficult for me to make the coro to size for my cage. I don't think I want to try and attempt it again Lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.