Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Need help regarding commercial cages - opinions please :)

MishImpossible

Cavy Slave
My little boars are not fully grown yet and are currently living in a 100mm x 50mm cage. I'm not happy with the size and have bought grids but unfortunately after having tried every combination possible with furniture in my tiny flat, even 2x3 is too big. It's upsetting as I want them to have a c&c cage.

I've been looking at rabbit cages as I want to give them the best space possible and have found the following:

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_...m_cages/179119

Double corner cage 140cm. Not sure if the two story just gives the illusion of more space as I know the ramp takes up a bit of room.

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_...cm_cages/95921

This has wheels which would be awesome - I'd remove what looks like a wire mesh shelf as a second level or at least cover it up.

Any thoughts?

couchon

Cavy Slave
I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but you need to go with the 2x3 C&C.

You situation seems very similar to mine. My apartment two years ago was 150 sq feet total. Not counting the bathroom, 100 sq feet, which included my bed, stove-top, mini fridge, etc.

You CAN find space - it may not be convenient (I ended up having to go a bit around the cage to go into the bathroom), but the space is there if you are creative. The best way to think about it is that there is really no other option.

I have since moved, and I now have a 3x5 for my two girls. From all my experiences, I can tell you, that even a 2x3 is TINY for the two pigs. They need the space desperately. Their whole life is there. Go with the 2x3 - maybe get a loft bed to make space.

Lord_aperture

Cavy Slave
We use one of those cages seen in the second picture at the rescue sometimes, I can tell you right now it is a pain in the butt to clean as the bottom slides into metal tracks to hold it and sometimes they aren't built right and the bottom falls out of the tracks if you dont slide it in just right. It will also take up almost just as much space as a 2x3 because it so bulky on the out side, yet the part where the pig lives is only slightly bigger than other standard pet store cages.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
On the 179119 one, I can't tell if the length and width measurements are for just one story of the cage, and so you've got double that room, or if that's the total lxw measurement for both floors.

If each floor has those measurements, you'd be ok. If that's the total for two floors, it's too small.

The 95921 one would be barely adequate, maybe, for two boars. Two sows might do ok with it, but boars need more room, unless yours are unusually friendly with each other.

lissie

Cavy Slave
The cage on the 2nd link is about 12 sq.ft. If I'm reading the measurements right. It's big enough for 2 boars. It's bigger than a 2x4 and a bit smaller than a 2x5.

Basin: 152 x 75 x 22 cm

That's 59.84 x 29.5 x 8.66 inches

MishImpossible

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all your advice. We had a family discussion last night (me, bf and the two piggies lol) and talked seriously about accommodating the C&C cage.
We don't actually have room for anything to be honest. We wanted a commercial cage as we figured it would be easier to move as throughout the day we'd have to move it a few times as no matter where we'd put it, it'd be in the way. We move it one place, then we'd have to move it again to get into the computer, and then again when he wanted to do his kung fu exercises.

After a lot of talking, we have decided 2x3 with a loft! We will be saving up to get a bigger flat soon so we would have room for expansion :)

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
It might help to go around your house and look at some things you might be able to move to be able to put the cage in. I have an extremely small house, yet I found a way to make my 3x7 cage with a 2x2 connection and a loft work. The way I did it was to remove my bed and get a day bed instead which saved a ton of room. I also installed some of those racks above the cage, so that I could get rid of my dresser and store all of my clothes and collection of stuffed animals above their cage.

couchon

Cavy Slave
Also, to save room, you could look into a loft bed (I have one from IKEA). In my current apartment, the cage is in the center of the room, which frees up all the space to the side for bed/couch, closet, etc. (I also don't have a table).

If you really want to be able to move it, consider getting or builfing some sort of table or cart on wheels and just putting the cage on it. Good luck!

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
I second the idea of a loft bed. A friend of mine had a bunk bed, where he actually built a cage into the bottom bed frame. If you have enough room for a bed, you have the room for a proper cage.

MishImpossible

Cavy Slave
I second the idea of a loft bed. A friend of mine had a bunk bed, where he actually built a cage into the bottom bed frame. If you have enough room for a bed, you have the room for a proper cage.

As mentioned before we're going ahead with a c&c cage in the living room.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.