Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Time for a redesign

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Okay, so I'm guessing that KMS doesn't work well with my current hay rack. Oxbow/Kaytee worked fine. But it seems as though Whistles is having a hard time eating out of the hay rack. I'd like to keep the same design. My idea is the cut a few wires and make the holes larger for Whistles to get JUST HIS NOSE into them to eat his hay.
So, filing the edges down....I don't want them to harm Whistles. I want them to be smooth. Would a regular nail file work?
Also, if you have another hay rack idea, please do share :) It must fit in a 2X1 loft area tho.
Thanks!

Photo of Whistles current hay rack. Sorry for horribly quality.
417501_2270400056658_866276844_n.jpg

PeeweesPiggyPalace

Removed
Cavy Gazer
This is the one (or 2) that I use and seem to have no issues :) they can pull out of the sides easy too.. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341867790.801097.jpg

lissie

Cavy Slave
This is the one (or 2) that I use and seem to have no issues :) they can pull out of the sides easy too.. View attachment 29892

There have been piggies who got their heads stuck in those type of hay rack. Some of them didn't make it.

[MENTION=22188]MrWhistles[/MENTION], Have you tried other types of hay racks? I prefer ones that are made from coroplast or cardboard boxes. It is less likely for piggies to get stuck in box type hay rack.

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
If you were to cut the holes bigger on the grids, I think it would be best to turn 4 small squares into 1 large, so that the pig couldn't get his head stuck. I honestly got frustrated with hayracks, my girls would pull all the hay out, so I just do it loose and clean up the floor. Besides they enjoy sleeping in hay and more of it gets eaten. Oh, you could also try a fleece hayrack I believe that's what it is anyway. It would be easier for your piggy to push his nose through and grab hay out since fleece is flexible.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Tonight hubby cut 3 wires off the grid.
2 in the middle/off the side
and 1 down on the bottom.
it made holes large enough for him to stick his nose in sideways/pull out hay.
Hubby also took his sander/smoothed down the edges.

I think I'll try this for a coupla days or so/look at the other hay rack pictures on this forum. I want the hay up/off the floor so he doesn't pee in it/not eat what he soils.
Anyone else have ideas?

schavarry

Cavy Slave
I use a metal loaf pan I bought at the $1 store - works well for my piggies, they tip it over and dump some out when it gets toward the bottom but it's easy to clean, easy to dump, easy to fill and keeps it more contained than a pile on the fleece... The loaf pan, as well as the pellet bowl are in my kitchen :)

The one issue I've had with this as a hay rack is the piggy I'm piggysitting for (Lily), she likes to climb in the tin and make it her bed, she pees in it, poos in it and makes it difficult for her cage mate to get hay some times but she's in quarantine right now so her cage mate is using it just fine :)

Here's a pic of Lily in the pan, and Gertie trying to get hay...
IMAG0436.jpg - I bought a tray, a loaf pan, etc. for the piggies I'm watching because their owner didn't have any way to give them hay except on the floor :/ I've changed it so that the pellet/veg bowl aren't in the metal pan and the loaf pan and hay are in the "kitchen" pan... it contains most of the poo until Gertie moves the kitchen so she can poo in the corner :crazy:

schavarry

Cavy Slave
Have you thought about trying the cloth hay racks/hay bags?

I missed where you said you wanted the hay off the ground when I posted ^

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
UPDATE: Checking on the hay rack this morning it doesn't seem to have been used at all. But his hay bowl was empty...
I'll give this rack 2 more days of adjusting, he may just be thinking it is the same thing and it hasn't been changed. I'll pull some hay out of the larger holes to make it more noticeable for him.

Have you thought about trying the cloth hay racks/hay bags?

I missed where you said you wanted the hay off the ground when I posted ^

I'm sorta leaning towards hay bags if this rack doesn't work out. Not sure what I would make it out of. My only issue is if he'll start nomming on the fabric. He noms on EVERYTHING.:grumpy:

schavarry

Cavy Slave
I'm sorta leaning towards hay bags if this rack doesn't work out. Not sure what I would make it out of. My only issue is if he'll start nomming on the fabric. He noms on EVERYTHING.:grumpy:

Have you tried cutting holes in cereal boxes and then shoving the hay in there?

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
UPDATE: Despite me/husband's best efforts. The edges really weren't as smooth as we thought. While i was reaching in to pull out some hay through the holes the edges cut my skin. And if they can cut mine, they can cut Whistles. So I completely removed it/replaced it with his bowl.
I'll likely be running through Wally World this weekend, maybe I can find something in the kitchen area? Or try schavarry's cereal box idea.

Have you tried cutting holes in cereal boxes and then shoving the hay in there?

Not a bad idea. I may give that a try.

PeeweesPiggyPalace

Removed
Cavy Gazer
Looks like I need to design a hay holder for ya ;-)

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
OH definitely try a carboard box ! right now I'm using the box from a pack of 12 colas. It works wonderfully. Also, the big cereal boxes (that come with 3 bags) work great for hidies.

BedfordCavies

Cavy Slave
I use an empty tissue box to hold my piggies hay. I cut a half moon out of one side and stuff it full. They like it and it keeps most of the hay off the floor of the cage.

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
While we're on the topic of hay racks, I currently use the hay rack that [MENTION=23075]peeweesteph[/MENTION] showed. I've looked, and I just can't find how to bend a grid... Anybody know how?

Travelingirl916

Cavy Slave
While we're on the topic of hay racks, I currently use the hay rack that @peeweesteph showed. I've looked, and I just can't find how to bend a grid... Anybody know how?

Step on half of it while pulling the other half upward, until it is as bent as you want.

PeeweesPiggyPalace

Removed
Cavy Gazer
Step on half of it while pulling the other half upward, until it is as bent as you want.

I heat mine in a 250 degree oven for a 15-20 minutes.. Seems to be easier for me to bend and not snap the grids.. Just be careful.. I use towels so I don't get burnt :)

schavarry

Cavy Slave
Looks like I need to design a hay holder for ya ;-)

If you figure out one, let me know! I might have to get one of those too... when I'm less broke :)

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
I made and use my own hay bags. I like it but really I am looking at making something else. 2/3 pigs just pull everything out and wee in it all. :/ Naughty boys.

This is how Momo from GL has her hay, might be something you can look into:
564859_359994654062312_158394687555644_1063797_1410101864_n.jpg

I would make the opening smaller though ;)

PeeweesPiggyPalace

Removed
Cavy Gazer
If you figure out one, let me know! I might have to get one of those too... when I'm less broke :)

What colors..? I'll try and wok on one soon :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.