Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Not Eating Not a good day for Bela

• Thread starter Belas.human.mom
  • Start date

Belas.human.mom

Cavy Slave
So we met with the adoption agency today. In the beginning it was so wonderful, the moment the rescuer put another guinea into the play area with Bela, Bela started popcorning EVERYWHERE. She was so excited. We tried a few different ages, sizes, and sexes. We came to a neutered male who at first seemed amazing. They were getting along so great until she tried to "hump" her and she got irritated. She sprayed him and then when he persisted she attacked him. Needless to say she was so tore up about the experience we left without another guinea. She is now not eating and is hiding in her igloo and wont come out, even for her carrots. I'm so worried about her. Has this happened to anyone else? I feel so horrible for this experience...

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
It's natural and normal for her to be a bit stressed. It will go over in time. I am betting that she will have eaten her carrots and come out of her pigloo by tomorrow morning.

I hope you are planning on trying again. I advise against trying so many pigs, though. It's best just to pick a couple, your favorites, and then try the first favorite. If it goes well (and I mean no outward fighting) then stick with that pig, and don't bother trying another. The more pigs you try, the more stressed your pig gets.

Belas.human.mom

Cavy Slave
I seen that by the 4th one she seemed a little tired. I felt like maybe I wasn't in a position to make a selection until that woman was ready?? I really honestly haven't been in this situation but I walked away learning a few things about my Bela, she hates being mounted Lol...

She just got into her new C&C cage and she is running around like crazy now! Yes she finally ate some carrots. Hopefully the morning will be better. No more friend making until Friday.

schavarry

Cavy Slave
I seen that by the 4th one she seemed a little tired. I felt like maybe I wasn't in a position to make a selection until that woman was ready?? I really honestly haven't been in this situation but I walked away learning a few things about my Bela, she hates being mounted Lol...

She just got into her new C&C cage and she is running around like crazy now! Yes she finally ate some carrots. Hopefully the morning will be better. No more friend making until Friday.

You made a 2x3 C&C cage for Bela right? If you find a friend for her I suggest expanding it to a 2x4 so they both have enough space. (a 2x3 is the MINIMUM for 2 piggies, and the loft doesn't count toward the space they have)

Belas.human.mom

Cavy Slave
I told my husband that, little does he know an expansion is coming Monday while he is at work. one more panel puts it at 5ft long. So that should be adequate right? It's at 3 foot 7 inches now. The panels are 14.5 inches wide.

Last edited:

schavarry

Cavy Slave
If you make it so it is 2 grids by 4 grids it will be a decent size, although bigger is always better! :) Good luck finding a friend for Bela!

Belas.human.mom

Cavy Slave
If you make it so it is 2 grids by 4 grids it will be a decent size, although bigger is always better! :) Good luck finding a friend for Bela!

Done and done! Thats what happens when hubby goes to sleep :)

schavarry

Cavy Slave
Done and done! Thats what happens when hubby goes to sleep :)

This makes me laugh - mostly because when I was a kid we always "acquired" animals while my dad was away on business trips or while we were on vacation and Dad wasn't there... And I got my GPs while my hubby was deployed (although he knew I was getting them, we discussed it so they weren't a surprise like they were with my dad as a kid) :)

Belas.human.mom

Cavy Slave
:) Mine is stubborn, he looks at little Bela and of course the cage is huge for her. He doesn't see the fact that two will be in there soon. Quick question, is it necessary to sew the towels (or absorbent pads) between the fleece panels for the lining? Mine are just towels sandwiched in between the folded over fleece. I want to have enough for 3-4 fleece pads but I can't find anyone around here to sew those for me.

Belas.human.mom

Cavy Slave
Bela's back to being reclusive again and not eating. I hope getting her new cage done today helps a little. I'm not sure whats going on with her, other that I know yesterday she had a horrible day.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Start weighing her. If she drops at all I would consider that she is actually sick.

Belas.human.mom

Cavy Slave
I didn't think of weighing her. Thank you. I just assumed from the over grooming, the reclusiveness, the not eating, and not whistling when were near that she was just stressed. I will keep an extra close eye on her.

schavarry

Cavy Slave
:) Mine is stubborn, he looks at little Bela and of course the cage is huge for her. He doesn't see the fact that two will be in there soon.

My hubby is skeptical too, he questions if they really need so much space, why I don't use wood chips, why I don't give them the stupid yogurt treats, etc. He had piggies when he was little, but hasn't done the research I have on them, (on here and guinea lynx).

As far as sewing the towels or pads to the fleece - no it is not necessary. It is easier to throw one thing in the wash, or one sewn together pad in the cage, but it can be easier to clean and dry them if they're separate. Some claim that if you use Uhaul pads and don't have them sewn they'll fall apart easier but I haven't had that issue with mine so far (I have un-sewn ones I put together and sewn together ones I've purchased online). Basically whatever works best for you is fine when it comes to fleece :)

PS. Make sure that poos aren't getting stuck between the fleece/absorbent layer if you don't sew them.

Belas.human.mom

Cavy Slave
My wonderful amazing friend Mandy came to my rescue and has agreed to sew the towels to the inside of the fleece panels for me. After some research I think I will try the towels out first. My measurements have the pads under lapping the cage now so that they can't dig under the layers

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.