PDA

View Full Version : Cage Lining the cage

Belas.human.mom
07-07-12, 08:24 pm
Okay so I just built my C&C cage tonight. It's 29 inches wide x 43 inches long with a loft. I am currently washing my fleece and towels to line the bottom as pee and poo catcher. My question to you is: what can I use (besides coroplast) for lining the cage (i.e. a bumper pad)? I have a tarp under the cage that is a good 2 inches bigger on all four sides of the cage, so I'm not worried about stuff getting flung out I just want to know what I can use to protect against bar chewing and well to make it look cute I guess.

schavarry
07-07-12, 08:48 pm
I'm not sure that a bumper pad would be safe for a GP cage. You don't really need anything if you're not worried about poo flinging out. Bar gnawing shouldn't be a big issue if you have a girl, my girl won't bite the bars - she's only done it once and it was because she was trying to get into her brother's cage. My boy bites the bars when I take too long to feed him his veggies but other than that he leaves them alone.

Maybe you could put a bumper pad around the outside if you wanted to decorate your cage but I'm not sure if that's even safe...

Belas.human.mom
07-07-12, 09:09 pm
Oh no, not an actual bumper pad... just the concept of a bumper pad. Sorry I thought I elaborated but when I re-read it I didn't. In theory it will be the bumper pad... Also it has a loft keeping with the non coroplast theme (we just dont have it in our area) what can I use to cover the grids?

sdpiggylvr
07-07-12, 09:38 pm
There aren't too many adequate alternatives to coroplast, but you could use a shower curtain liner with the edges folded up to provide a barrier. The shower curtain liner might get chewed, but it might be an easy and affordable option.

If you can afford it, coroplast boxes can be ordered from this website: Coro Bases (http://www.guineapigzone.com/c-and-c-cages-guinea-pigs/3-coro-bases). They are cut to size and scored and ready to go, but they are a bit expensive. However, one coroplast base can last you the lifetime of your guinea pigs -- so it's a moderate price to pay but only once.

You could use a plastic litter box with an entrance cut into it and sanded down for the loft.

I personally don't like lofts. When I had one it just made it harder to clean underneath the loft, and the ramp took up space. Guinea pigs are prey animals as well and typically prefer to be on the ground so as to avoid predators, so mine hardly used it. Instead, I used the extra grids to lengthen the cage which provided more overall space -- much more valuable in my opinion!

Good luck!

Inle_Rabbit
07-07-12, 09:40 pm
I have heard, but have not tried, that linoleum makes a good base.

schavarry
07-07-12, 11:00 pm
Guinea pigs are prey animals as well and typically prefer to be on the ground so as to avoid predators, so mine hardly used it. Instead, I used the extra grids to lengthen the cage which provided more overall space -- much more valuable in my opinion!

Good luck!

I find this weird because my piggy on the highest level of my stacked cage seems more afraid when his cage is on the floor and not stacked on top of the other cage, but then again he doesn't have a loft. I'm going to combine both cages when Lightning (male - just had him neutered) is safe to go with Cinnamon (female) but I'm not sure if I'm going to make the upper cage a loft or take it down and make an L shaped cage.