Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New here and learning!

mizabs

Cavy Slave
Hi! My daughter has been begging us for guinea pigs for a while now and we are almost ready to get them. Trying to learn about what they need and want to get their home set up. We thought that we had the cage we wanted from Petco but now I'm learning about the C&C cages and want to build one of those. She doesn't have much space in her room though so we will need to be creative.

Where did you get your guinea pigs? Is there a way to find ones that are not from a pet store?

Looking forward to learning from everyone!

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forums!

It's truly a great thing that you are looking into C&C cages beforehand-- I did as well!

You certainly can get Piggies from places other than a pet store. Go to Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder and under the first search category, select "Small and Furry" and then in the next one type "Guinea Pigs". Then type your Zip Code and you can find tons of animal rescues around you. I have found about 5 different rescues within an hour of myself. Probably more than five as well. :)

Also, make sure that when you do decide to get Guinea Pigs, you sex them to ensure they are the same sex. Plus, if you know what sex they are, you know what size cage you need. Males need at least a 2x5 for 2 Piggies, and females are usually good in a 2x4. This site is Anti-Breeding, so please do some research on how to sex properly-- You need to do it yourself-- because you cannot trust anybody else's words from experience.

Good luck, and welcome to the forums!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.