Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Set-Up Question to Keep the Peace

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I'm planning a cage merger for Amy and Quinn. Right now, they're each in a separate Living World Deluxe Extra Large cage. If I put them together, that will be the equivalent of a 2 1/2 x 3 grid cage, which should tide them over till I whip up a workable C&C for their area.

Both cages have a plastic shelf across one end that I use at the kitchen. The water bottle is accessible up there, and that's where I feed pellets and salad (I switch up how I feed hay, so that's down in the cages). Both piggies jump on the shelves readily so there's no ramp, and they like to hang out under it sometimes as a hidey spot.

There's a side door on both cages, so we plan to attach them next to each other, open the doors, and give the girls the run of of both cages after we introduce them in the near future. The door isn't too high, so my husband plans to make a small ledge that they can jump up onto from one cage and down into the other.

So with all that long-winded explanation, here's my question. Amy has a dominant personality and loves her food. Quinn is much younger than her, so there's a possibility Amy might try to keep her away from the food. I figure it won't be a big problem with two shelves to use as feeding areas, but would you leave the shelves in the separate cages or move them both into one cage and have one on either end? I prefer the latter idea, because then I'll make that the "food cage" with all the hay in there, too, and the other one can be the hangout, with cuddle cups, pigloo, etc.

Any advice is appreciated, as I really want them to get along as peacefully as possible. Poor Amy had to live next door to Borat without ever being with him, so I'm happy that now she's going to have a live-in companion.

vania

Cavy Slave
I think that as long as you have two separate bowls and bottles for them, it should be fine. It's definitely worth a try, you can always change it later if it doesn't work out.
I have four girls and I think one of my best ideas was getting them all their own bowl and multiple water bottles, haha. I also made an extra long hay rack, so they can all eat it at once. But I don't think you'll need to do that with only two girls, unless Amy starts getting feisty with little Quinn.

go_ellie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Hmmm, so it sounds like it might be best to keep the kitchen shelves in the separate cages. That way, if Amy wanted to play bully, she'd have to jump down from one shelf and jump into the other cage. I remember how she managed to grab a carrot out of Borat's mouth once right through a grid when they were in their divided playpen, so I want little Quinn to have a fighting chance at the nom noms.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Yes, I really like the idea of having all the food in one cage. I suppose I could start out that way and then switch to the other option if Amy is unrelenting. She's quite the little dominance queen, but she's also lonely, so I suspect she won't be too nasty to Quinn. She had a litter before I got her, since her prevous owners had a missexed male, so maybe she'll be maternal since Quinn is still young. Fingers crossed!

schavarry

Cavy Slave
This is brilliant! I was trying to figure out how to combine Lightning's 2x3 with Cinnamon's 2x4 once they can finally live together (it won't be long because Lightning got neutered yesterday!)

I wanted to make an L shape but I still wasn't sure if they'd use one portion of the L more than the other but if I put food in one and the hideys and stuff in the other it might work just perfect! If not I can put a kitchen in each half :) Thanks for the post!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.