PDA

View Full Version : C&C My Joe's New Cage is almost finished!! C&C 4x5 w/1x5 Loft

JoesLady
06-29-12, 07:18 pm
So, I love it when a plan starts to come together!!

Crazy plan I drew up last week:

I ordered a few extra cubes, so i decided to do a 1x5 loft instead of 1x4

I don't have all of his toys/hide-aways in it yet, and I am trying to get the fleece liners done between playing legos with my son and feeding my newborn...but I should have them done tonight! The one down right now is the 'laundry day' fleece...I'll make it into a liner next. The ones I'm doing right now are camouflage!

I would love to get opinions on the cage itself (even criticisms...this is my first guinea pig and C&C cage, and its HUGE, so I'll take all of the advice I can get!). And would love opinions on a good layout for everything.

I don't think the food, water and hay is gonna work on the second level. Even when I had the fleece up there earlier, he wanted nothing to do with the ramp. Has that happened to anyone else? Did your piggies get used to it eventually? He could use the excercise, but I don't want to force him.

Although the whole cage is being used as a bathroom...that back bottom corner seems to be the preferred location, so I am trying to get Joe's input as well:D...he is just not as forthcoming as you humans!

Love to hear your thoughts!

mommmyof2
06-29-12, 07:30 pm
Wow that looks really good. You did a really good job

Kelsie
06-29-12, 07:32 pm
I think you did a beautiful job. I really like where you placed the ramp. Don't worry about Joe using it. It took my piggies a day or so before they were running up and down it like crazy. I tempted them by using small pieces of carrot at the top and bottom. Mine are so food obsessed they will do anything for a treat. Joe is one lucky piggie to have such a caring owner.

pinky
06-29-12, 07:36 pm
It's beautiful! The only thing I'd change is to have grids on the second level extend further towards the the ramp on both sides so the opening isn't wider than the width of the ramp. An excited guinea pig might miss the ramp and jump over the bit of coroplast between the ramp and the grids on both sides of the ramp.

schavarry
06-29-12, 07:40 pm
I really like it! Is it going to be hard to clean/change liners with the two support grids on the bottom holding up the loft on either side of the ramp??

Have you tried putting your piggie on the loft and seen if he'd go down the ramp by himself?

JoesLady
06-29-12, 07:41 pm
Thanks mommyof2!

Kelsie, thanks for the encouragement on the ramp. I am trying to do the best I can for Joe. I had been saving up to buy the cage. I just planned on buying a kit. Once I found this site and realized I could make him a huge cage for the same price, I knew I had to do it. My son (Joe is actually his guinea pig) both decided that my 'office' area and his arts and crafts place should get put somewhere else so Joe could have in my son's words "His very own bedroom just like me and baby Jaelin." I am so proud of what a good pet owner he is. He feeds Joe (with supervision of course) every morning before he even eats his breakfast, and every evening before he sits down for dinner. He's only 5, but he already gets that pets aren't a toy ro a novelty item.

jm_1234
06-29-12, 07:42 pm
Your cage is awesome! I literally just said outloud "Wow, thats nice" & showed the hubby. He thinks its really nice too. Good job! You must have a very happy piggie :)

JoesLady
06-29-12, 07:53 pm
The only thing I'd change is to have grids on the second level extend further towards the the ramp on both sides so the opening isn't wider than the width of the ramp. An excited guinea pig might miss the ramp and jump over the bit of coroplast between the ramp and the grids on both sides of the ramp.

Good catch! I have 4 extra grids...I'll get on that. Thanks!

JoesLady
06-29-12, 07:57 pm
Is it going to be hard to clean/change liners with the two support grids on the bottom holding up the loft on either side of the ramp??

Nope, they lift up pretty easily, as long as I do it carefully so the whole thing doesn't come tumbling down! :)

And as for the ramp, I tried. He wouldn't do it. I even put him half way down it and he stayed right there. I wonder if maybe I just need to make a longer ramp so the incline isn't so steep. Hmmm...

JoesLady
06-29-12, 08:05 pm
Thank you! I can't wait until I finish it! I'll definately post more pictures when my cool piggy is rocking the camouglage..lol

schavarry
06-29-12, 08:07 pm
Nope, they lift up pretty easily, as long as I do it carefully so the whole thing doesn't come tumbling down! :)

And as for the ramp, I tried. He wouldn't do it. I even put him half way down it and he stayed right there. I wonder if maybe I just need to make a longer ramp so the incline isn't so steep. Hmmm...

I'm glad it's easy to clean! Maybe you could put a brick underneath the ramp like a step to make it a little less steep??

Raine59
06-29-12, 08:10 pm
How long has he been in the cage? I think he will get used to it. It took my girls a while too but before long they were running up and down like they'd been doing it forever. Have you considered a fleece forest for one of the front corners? All 6 of my pigs love them. Very nice job on the cage.

JoesLady
06-29-12, 08:11 pm
Maybe you could put a brick underneath the ramp like a step to make it a little less steep??

That's a really good idea!

Zuidy
06-29-12, 08:18 pm
That's a really good idea!

I added a loft today, and I am using 3 bricks stacked like stairs and then I have their wooden hidey under the actual ramp to prop it up pretty tall because it was way too steep for them. :)

JoesLady
06-29-12, 08:25 pm
How long has he been in the cage?
Just today. And I just realized I should probably take him out until I'm done because I have packing tape exposed all over the place...oops! No chewing yet, but knowing him I should err on the side of caution.

Have you considered a fleece forest for one of the front corners? All 6 of my pigs love them.
That's the second time I've run across that today. What is a fleece forest?

Very nice job on the cage.
Thank you!

JoesLady
06-29-12, 08:30 pm
I am using 3 bricks stacked like stairs...because it was way too steep for them. :)

That's an awesome idea, I bet it's really cute too! Do you have the ramp fastened to the bricks at all, or is it just as stury as having it on the ground?

Raine59
06-29-12, 08:31 pm
For a fleece forest, you take an extra grid and put it horizontally like a roof in one corner of your cage and hang or tie strips of fleece from it that hang down almost to the bottom of the cage. Here's a pic of one of mine but if you do a search, you'll find lots of examples and there are many different ways to do it. 29398

AngelaCurran
06-29-12, 08:33 pm
Looks wonderful :) I made a new cage myself today - wanted to do c&c, but the only store in town that carries the "cubes" is Canadian Tire, and it was closed, for some reason; So, instead I went to Kent and got Coroplast, and some wire shelving, and made it that way (14 sq. ft). Yours is amazing :) I hope to be able to add a second level or loft to mine at some point, but I'll have to save a little - today was sort of costly. I am happy to have them in something bigger, though - I only got the cuties yesterday.

xXMaggieXx
06-29-12, 09:24 pm
I love this cage so much! I wanted to build a cage this big as I have the room but my mom and dad said no. oh well! I love your cage so much!!!

JoesLady
06-29-12, 09:26 pm
For a fleece forest, you take an extra grid and put it horizontally like a roof in one corner of your cage and hang or tie strips of fleece from it that hang down almost to the bottom of the cage.

Now that is cool! Thanks for the pic. I think I should definately do that.

JoesLady
06-29-12, 09:30 pm
I am happy to have them in something bigger, though - I only got the cuties yesterday.

Well it looks like you are off to a good start! When I got Joe in November, they sold me a 'pet store' cage. I adopted him from the Humane Society! Shame on me for not researching the cage thing properly before hand, and shame on them for peddling a super inadequate 'litter box' to anyone giving an awesome piggy a forever home. For what I spent on that cage I could have built a nice C&C!

JoesLady
06-29-12, 09:34 pm
I love this cage so much! ... I love your cage so much!!!
Thank you!

I wanted to build a cage this big as I have the room but my mom and dad said no.

I might not have to ask my parents anymore, but my son and I did this while my husband was underway...hehehe. I figured if it was here when he got home he wouldn't have anything to argue about. I'm sure he wont mind though...everytime I turn around he and Joe are watching the military channel together, they are buddies. One day you'll have your own place and can give your piggies their very own room!

xXMaggieXx
06-29-12, 09:38 pm
Haha! My house will become a piggy palace for my spoiled naughty girls.

AngelaCurran
06-30-12, 06:52 am
Well thank you! :) I can't remember if I had said, but it's 14 sq feet, maybe a little bigger (we started out with 6 feet for each side, but had to take it in some once we prepared the coroplast). I was nervous that they didn't like it at first, but it seems like they're getting more used to it.