Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urine white urine stains?

mommykingx3

Cavy Slave
What does white urine stains mean? MY new piggie which I adopted from a family who not only neglected it but smoked around it, and gave it whatever cereal they happened to have when they didn't have food. Any way, she seems very happy and eats well, in fact the very first time I held her I let her eat her fill of veggies cause I figured she really needed them. i have been giving her lots of peppers to get her vitamen C up. She is active and very vocal. And today was her second visit with my other two girls and the fighting finally stopped. They even shared a pigloo. But when I was cleaning her cage out, I noticed little circular white urine stains all over her fleece. It was dark blue so that is why I just noticed. Any one know what it means? I am going to be out all evening and my forum app doesn't always work but if some one wants to text me my number is <removed>. I am worried.

Last edited by a moderator:

guineapigs2468

Cavy Slave
Hopefully someone will be able to clarify me on this, but I believe white urine means that your guinea pig has to much calcium in their diet. I think just give them less calcium rich veggies, and it will help with the urine.

MissJean

Cavy Slave
Yeah, let's not post your phone number on the internet. That doesn't seem like a particularly good idea.

Anyway, the calcium deposits. Have you felt them? Are they gritty or powdery?

Take a peak at this nutrition chart: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html#post254730

It color codes veggies based on how often to feed them. Some veggies are higher in calcium than other and need to be fed less often.

Sometimes romaine can cause some pigs to have white spots. Something to do with composition of romaine and the pig's genetics. I've also noticed a reduction in white spots from switching from Oxbow to KMS. (broken link removed)

KittyKrochet

Cavy Slave
Sometimes romaine can cause some pigs to have white spots. Something to do with composition of romaine and the pig's genetics.

I noticed this just a bit ago with my piggies! I was worried about feeding them too many carrots, and the only veg they like so far besides that is romain lettuce. Glad I was creeping this post...

jacqueline

Cavy Slave
i have been following the nutrition chart on the link above, and from time to time i see white spots, which are sometimes gritty or powdery. they get no romaine. which other high-calcium veggies should i eliminate?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A number of things can cause powdery or gritty urine. Romaine definitely causes it in some pigs, Oxbow pellets cause it in other pigs. Hard water can cause it. But some pigs eat romaine and Oxbow pellets and have no problems at all. The particular genetics of a pig is probably the biggest factor in whether they excrete excess calcium.

Cilantro, and especially parsley, can also cause powdery urine.

What I'd do first is to filter their water. You're in an area of the country with a lot of hard water, and a filter on the tap or a filter pitcher may solve your problem. Or your refrigerator may have a filter. But filters will only work if you change them regularly.

If that doesn't clear it up, then either take them off pellets, or switch brands. Oxbow and Sweet Meadow Farms both use the same calcium compound for their pellets, Kleenmama uses something different. Many people have seen an improvement after switching to KM (see (broken link removed)).

If those two things fail, I'd put them on an elimination diet. Pick one item that you're already feeding them daily, like lettuce, and feed them only that for 2-3 days. If the spots are still there, you've probably found the culprit. If they go away, then add one other vegetable back for 2-3 days. Do that until the spots reappear, and you've probably found the culprit.

mommykingx3

Cavy Slave
Yeah, their water is filtered. The only thing I can think is maybe the food they gave me is NOT guinea pig food. It was in an un marked container. Maybe I will throw it out and start giving it my guinea pig food, My other pigs don't seem to have a problem, and I don't feed them romain. That is the only thing I can think of. Thanks guys!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Guinea pig pellets that come out of a bin where you dip out as much as you want and have it weighed for purchase are generally not high quality pellets.

Just take them off pellets for a few days and see if that clears it up. You can always give them a sprig or two of parsley to replace the calcium in the pellets.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.