Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Diarrhea Guinea Pig Not Pooping!

Feriscool

Cavy Slave
I'm getting really concerned for my guinea pig. For the past 3 or so days, she hasn't been pooping as regularly as she used to. We've had her for a year and a half, and no problems until now.

She usually pooped at least a couple times every hour, but now I only see her squeeze out about 1 or 2 poops a day. And they're not hard poops, they're more like diarrhea (wet and mushy). My parents don't want to take her to the vet because very little vets actually know much about guinea pigs and I've heard antibiotics can be bad to get in some cases.

She also seems to be whistling/squeaking for food more than before, and she acts like she always has (happy, jumpy). She doesn't eat much hard food any more (pellets, etc.), but she still eats her hay (every now and then). The only problem with eating/drinking is that she barely drinks at all. I check her bottle every day, and it seems like the water level isn't decreasing. I tried giving her a bowl of water, and she seemed to drink from that (but not too much).

Please help me, I'm really concerned for her!

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
The pig you're describing is one in dire need of veterinary attention. The best thing you can do is log off your computer, and find a cavy savvy vet to get her to, asap.

Certain antibiotics can be bad, but she might not need antibiotics. Please find a vet and get her in, soon. She's in a very bad situation if she's not eating or pooping.

Feriscool

Cavy Slave
She's eating A LOT of vegetables like dandelions, carrots, cucumber, etc. I just watched her for a bit and she seemed to be eating hay more. I added a bigger bowl of water to the cage and she started to drink a lot from it.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Any time a pig acts different than normal, or doesn't eat like usual, is a time for concern. Do you weigh your pig? It's recommended to weigh them weekly at the very least, to make sure they are eating as much as they need. When pigs don't feel good they don't eat, and if they don't eat they will pass away.

Feriscool

Cavy Slave
I took her out for a while, and she seemed to be pooping quite a lot. Over the past couple of days it's gotten better. I'm starting to think that she just eats all her poop. She used to have an entire cage full of poop, but I've noticed she's been eating it a lot more (which is normal).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.