Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fresh Meat ^^

Frankenstein

Cavy Slave
Hello everybody! I joined the site a while ago then just...got out of it I guess. Actually I never really got in it. Now I joined the site to one, make some friends and two, I ran into a bit of a problem.... But, Call me Frankie and I am 20 year old male living in Pennslyvania

I recently lost a male special needs guinea pig named Cobaya. He was adopted and saved from being either snake food or put to sleep. He was attacked by another guinea pig leaving him blind and had bad balance problems which lead to he had a small problem walking. He came with a cage that the vet recommened. It was a pet store cage, but they said he couldn't be with other pigs and shouldn't have a big cage due to his needs. The cage was just under what this site recommened so I don't feel to bad. He had gotten really sick suddenly and had died before I could take him to get help.

Two weeks went by and I just couldn't handle the lonliness. I have no real friends out side of my two dogs and my pig, Cobaya. So with im gone, I felt really lonely. My parents went out to a shelter and found an all white female that was dropped of with 11 others. She was the last one. So, my parents brought her home to me and I fell in love with her. She was named Angel. She is jumpy and tends to run away. She refuses to eat anything other then lettus and carrots. I have had her for 3 weeks now.

The problem comes in when I took a camping trip with my dad. My mom is taking care of her. She is in good hands with my mom. Well, she gets a hold of us and apparently during the night she had 3 pups. We were never told she was pregnant. And in alll honestly, she just looked fat. We are guessing that they were born at approx 4am on 6/26/12. So now I go from one female, to 4. I checked them out and they look female. But now I suddenly have 3 more guinea pigs to take care of when i wasn't expecting it. So now I am trying to figure out what exactly to do with them and the cage situation.

The mother is all white. She had 2 all white pups that look like twins and an black and white pup. The mother is named Angel and the pups are a naming in progress.

I might keep one of the pups because guinea pigs do better that way. And I think I am going to take them back to the shelter. I just don't know what to do.

-Frankie

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
What size cage do you have now, and is it a C&C? Or still what you had Cobaya in?

First, you need to make sure you have the proper cage size. It really doesn't matter when they are babies much, but when it is time to sex and separate, it will begin to matter. Look into building a C&C cage on the homepage of this website, they are great!

Second, at 3 weeks, you can sex the pups and separate the ones who are male from mommy-- They WILL impregnate here once they are old enough, at 3 weeks most likely-- and put them in their own properly sized cage.

For baby Piggies until 6 months of age, you should be giving them extra Calcium in their diet. You do this by instead of giving Timothy Hay, give them Alfalfa hay and Alfalfa pellets. If you don't want to switch over, you can supplement them with a bit of the Veggie Parsley each day.

(If you have a C&C cage, make sure it is baby proofed. You can do this by overlapping grids with zip ties. This way their heads won't get stuck!)

Good luck with the whole thing! And if you don't feel like keeping all of the babies, Guinea Pig Cages, Care, Shelters, Veterinarians - Guinea Pig Zone is the place to list. They are linked to this website, so if you post an ad for the babies, it will automatically be posted here as a thread. And, anybody looking for Guinea Pigs in your area will find it near the top on a Google search or otherwise!

:)

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
Edit to add to the above^ You need to sex them at 2 weeks so you will know if you need another cage for the boys. The boys have to be separated at 3 weeks. Sexing info found here: Sexing Guinea Pigs: How to Sex a Guinea Pig

Frankenstein

Cavy Slave
right now its a store bought cage that had come with Cobaya, my old guinea pig. It is just under 2 by 3 (C & C cage size). Its about 1 1/2 by 2 1/2. I am currently looking into c & c cages now. :D I love them. I have 25 grids. So, all I need now is zip ties, coroplast and fleece. I am also looking for alternatives to coroplast just in case I can't find them near me.

Food and hay wise, they won't eat anything other then lettuce and carrots. I constantly put other stuff in but I always end up throwing it out. I have tried everything under the sun. Do the babies eat hay right away? Will the babies not eat it if the mother doesn't eat it? When will the babies eat pellets and drink from the water bottle? Because I'm afraid that they might not be able to reach inside the bowl and such. I had a bowl that attached to the side because with Cobaya, he would always flip it over and a few times, he would nearly hurt himself. So, it just attached to stop that risk. Right now the adult is find with getting to it. But, not sure about the babies.

Thank you both for the help! I am hoping to get the C & C cage done soon. I have the sexing on the calendar so I don't forget. And I will for sure check out that site!

Last edited:

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
right now its a store bought cage that had come with Cobaya, my old guinea pig. It is just under 2 by 3. Its about 1 1/2 by 2 1/2. I am currently looking into c & c cages now. :D I love them. I have 25 grids. So, all I need now is zip ties, coroplast and fleece. I am also looking for alternatives to coroplast just in case I can't find them near me.

Food and hay wise, they won't eat anything other then lettuce and carrots. I constantly put other stuff in but I always end up throwing it out. I have tried everything under the sun. Do the babies eat hay right away? Will the babies not eat it if the mother doesn't eat it? When will the babies eat pellets and drink from the water bottle? Because I'm afraid that they might not be able to reach inside the bowl and such. I had a bowl that attached to the side because with Cobaya, he would always flip it over and a few times, he would nearly hurt himself. So, it just attached to stop that risk. Right now the adult is find with getting to it. But, not sure about the babies.

Thank you both for the help! I am hoping to get the C & C cage done soon. I have the sexing on the calendar so I don't forget. And I will for sure check out that site!

No problemo!

The babies WILL eat. Trust me. Maybe not as much, but they will eat.

They should be able to reach.

Oh, and 2x3 in grids is not the same as 2 feet by 3 feet. 2x3 in grids is only talking about how many grids wide and long it is, not actually how long or wide it is in inches or feet.

Frankenstein

Cavy Slave
Yeah I forgot to clarrify that I was doing grid size. The cage is about 1 1/2 grids by 2 1/2 grids. Sorry about that.

My main concern right now is if the babies will eat something other then lettuce and carrots. Because that is the only thing the mother has and will eat. No matter what I put in the cage.....I'm worried that it will be a health risk.

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Yeah I forgot to clarrify that I was doing grid size. The cage is about 1 1/2 grids by 2 1/2 grids. Sorry about that.

My main concern right now is if the babies will eat something other then lettuce and carrots. Because that is the only thing the mother has and will eat. No matter what I put in the cage.....I'm worried that it will be a health risk.

Get some different Veggies and keep trying.

If nothing works, dice some other Veggies into small, eraser-sized pieces and roll them up in some Lettuce.

Frankenstein

Cavy Slave
Will do! Thank you so much for the ideas! I'll try that and see what they do with it :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.