Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Backing soda mixed in with bedding

KittyKrochet

Cavy Slave
Just this afternoon, I was cleaning out the piggie's cage, and my mother came out, literally ambushed me, and poured about half a box of baking soda into the bedding. I'm not sure that baking soda is safe for piggies, especially with their sensitive lungs! I made sure to re-clean the entire cage (we're talking with a vinegar and water solution, wiping it down with water, completely drying it down, then putting down the newspaper and wood shaving bedding they like).

My question is, is baking soda ok for the piggies like that? My mum is a huge smell-freak, we have all the windows open in my bedroom, an air purifier, and there is no smell, but she insists that the pigs are smelly. I'm concerned that if I have to go out for the day, even to shop for groceries, that she's going to throw baking soda into the cage and not tell me. Should I be concerned about this?

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
If you were using Fleece you could line the center and edges underneath the Fleece with Baking Soda, but it would be too easy to kick up I believe in shavings for bedding.

I wouldn't use it unless you used Fleece, but even though I use Fleece I wouldn't ever put Baking Soda underneath.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't use it, they might lick it up or try to eat it. Plus you don't want it to end up in there bums, or inhaled either. It would resemble dust, if you ask me. MAYBE under fleece, in spots they pee. But even then, I'm not sure. I would tell your mother it's really bad for the pigs. They do make a carefresh with baking soda in it, If I remember correctly. However, carefresh is expensive and all that.

schavarry

Cavy Slave
If your mom wants you to use baking soda to get rid of the smell, buy the fridge and freezer packs of it and stick them outside the cage, it will absorb the smell without harming the piggies!! Please don't let her continue to throw baking soda on them!! Poor pigs! (I know it's not your fault your mom did this, I just hope it won't happen again!!)

KittyKrochet

Cavy Slave
Thanks guys! I rather figured that this would be the case. I lectured my mother about the baking soda bit as soon as we got the girls and she's of the opinion "I never said anything", even though I've had to re-tell her every time I've cleaned them (which is every day, since they've got lice and my mum doesn't want it "crawling all over the entire house") and that "well I just forgot I'm stupid" (which is just untrue because every other time I'm said anything she's like I know you said it all already I was just asking). She's already of a baking tin with baking soda over sitting on the lid of the cage. She does this with out cat's litter box, too. She's currently sitting in her room, crying her eyes out about how I'm a terrible daughter and she can't stand to live in a house that smells like a barn.

Can't wait to go back to uni, so I can make sure I have an eye on them at all times.

But seriously, though, thanks for the input!

pinky

Cavy Slave
How often are you changing the bedding and how large is your cage? I'd just clean the cage more often so it doesn't smell. You can also spot clean areas that get soiled more often.

KittyKrochet

Cavy Slave
It's a 6 sq ft cage (I know it's not the min. for 2 piggies, but it's all I have right now, and it's the biggest I can get my hands on at the moment) and right now I'm doing a full cleaning every day, because the poor girls have lice. That's the thing though, there isn't​ a smell in the cage or room, it's just my mother being excessively neurotic and controlling, as per usual (though that is another story altogether).

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
It's a 6 sq ft cage (I know it's not the min. for 2 piggies, but it's all I have right now, and it's the biggest I can get my hands on at the moment) and right now I'm doing a full cleaning every day, because the poor girls have lice. That's the thing though, there isn't​ a smell in the cage or room, it's just my mother being excessively neurotic and controlling, as per usual (though that is another story altogether).

Does your mom have an Air Purifier? They do the best and are safest for Piggies at removing odors. I have one running, a tabletop one, 24/7 for the past 2 weeks and it works wonders!

KittyKrochet

Cavy Slave
Yep, we bought an air purifier the day after we adopted the piggies (one that doesn't have a mandatory ionic setting, I've read those are bad for piggie lungs!). It seems to be doing amazingly, since there really isn't a smell. I wish we had known about the air purifiers 5 or 6 years ago, when we still had my first piggie. Mum got so sick of the smell (even with cleaning the cage every 3 days) that she exiled her to the garage. =[

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.